Perfect time for me to purchase previous Macbook Pro model?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blairh, Oct 15, 2008.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Hey everyone.

So I've been holding off on purchasing a macbook pro to see what the new models were like. I like the new models, but I believe I would be better off saving some money and purchasing the last model version. I found it online for $1,450.00. The specs are:

* 15.4-inch matte widescreen LED-backlit display
    * 1440 x 900 resolution
    * 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor (Penryn)
    * 2GB (2x1GB) of 667MHz DDR2 memory
    * 200GB 5400-rpm SATA hard drive
    * NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB GDDR3 memory
    * Multitouch trackpad

Money is an issue, or else I'd just get the new macbook pro. Spoke with a sales rep at my local Apple store and he assured me this previous model would suit my needs nicely. Here are the 3 projects I'm looking to create with this computer (in order of importance):

1. My acting reel
    2. A short film I wrote that I'll be producing and directing
    3. A video compilation of my mother putting together some signature meals

I'd be using imovie most likely for all these projects. Maybe FCE for the short film.

So what do you all think? Should I go for the previous model? The money I'd be saving on the previous model would go to a new Canon video camera.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

PS. Any suggestions Canon video camera wise would be great too. Is an HD camera the way to go?

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Yes, they are a great value for the buck. Places like MacMall also are offering them with free printers and other stuff after rebates.

3. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

Considering the "old" MBP was top of the line ... 2? days ago, hehe ya man you will be absolutely fine and happy.

4. Jurwin macrumors regular

Jurwin

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

This refurb is down to $1349 on Apple's website.

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    15.4-inch widescreen display
    2GB memory
    200GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 memory
    Built-in iSight Camera

Definitely a good value.

Cheers,

6. SkylerXR macrumors newbie

If you qualify for student discount, the equivalent clearance model (brand new) is $1399 from Apple.

7. bimmer macrumors newbie

I'm getting a 2.4GHz new one from the clearance sale tomorrow morning as soon as I increase my credit limit. As mentioned above these machines were top of the line and $600 more only two days ago. I personally like the "older" look, hate the new chiclet keyboard and glossy screen.

8. dougnewman macrumors 6502

Yes, it's a great deal right now. I'm buying one. :)

9. Mikebuzzsaw macrumors 6502

Yea, buying a used Macbook Pro right now is way better than buying the current MBP if you dont need all the fancy extras. :)

10. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

The only caveat is the graphics card. The 8600 line (among others) is known to have higher than normal failure rates. After that first year of warranty (or even three if you purchase apple care), you could potentially have a timebomb there.

11. dougnewman macrumors 6502

FYI, Apple will extend the warranty on this part to two years even if you don't buy AppleCare.

12. bushbaby macrumors 6502

bushbaby

The problem is what happens after two years? Apple is only covering this KNOWN ISSUE, this faulty part, for two years. So you have a very devalued resale value at that point.

They say that not all of them have failed yet and one tech blamed it on gamers for using them for games that aren't supported (!). However an investigation by the Inquirer said they are all bad and it's just a matter of time. These are fairly new (made in 08) so just give them time and see more fail.

I was ready to buy one too, until I found out about this known issue. I think it is wrong of Apple to sell these via their clearance and refurb site and yet not put the warning on it.

"Apple said this week some of its more recent MacBook Pro models may contain faulty Nvidia graphics chips that produce distorted video or fail completely."

This is discussed over at macrumors and other sites. Apple extended the warranty for this issue only for an additional year and many feel that is not the fair solution.

"Despite Nvidia's claim that its graphics chip failures were limited to a certain number of chips manufactured for a certain number of notebooks, the Inquirer in July charged the company with masking the severity of the problem, alleging that "all the G84 and G86 parts are bad. Period. No exceptions."

"All of them, mobile and desktop, use the exact same ASIC, so expect them to go south in inordinate numbers as well," the publication said. "

So owners are saying that either Apple should have done a full recall (but obviously they did not want the expense) or at least guarantee these for the life of the computer (this particular issue).

I am concerned now about buying the last gen mbps. Of course there are people who say theirs has not failed but they've only had them less than a year. And some say they've found failure more likely with labor-intensive work like editing.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...dia_chips.html

13. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  14. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

15. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

x 2! Sounds like it will fit your needs quite well.

16. Bootsie macrumors 6502a

Bootsie

That is what decided to do, I got the 2.5 15" MBP clearance priced at $1599. I just got it today, and I am loving it! I also decided to buy applecare, and I got a free printer as well.

17. johnsy macrumors 6502

I have to see new macbook pro. I hate shiny display, but I have to see if it is that bad as in a pictures. I think keyboard should feel better. No trackpad button is not good news though. Question is how fast are new laptops? ARE they so fast that it is worth +/- $400?

18. johnsy macrumors 6502

Also old generation has serious flaw- hard drive takes much more time to upgrade and might void warranty... New generation has no such flaw and as I see in one post that screen is not that bad with reflections.

19. Kyouya macrumors member

20. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

my friend tried to make the case for a new mbp via an email this morning. do you agree with the argument below?

I Just find it always better to buy the most recent hardware, for many reasons. Updates can sometimes ruin a computer, and the life on an old one (even new) will be half as long as the new one in terms of software life. More and more things will not be compatible with the old notebook, and especially with these new ones, if you want to be doing video editing, there's absolutely new specs that would be useful to your uses. Dont buy old. It'll be enough of a problem in the long run, make your money last, and treat this as a serious investment in your film.

21. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

No, that's a terrible argument for this case. The specs are almost equal. The only thing to worry about is the health of the gfx card.

22. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If I was in your shoes, I'd go for the old model. It's a great deal.

23. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I ordered mine from MacMall today. $1650 after rebate, plus Parallels, bag, and printer. :D

24. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

+1
    With all due respect to your friend, he/she hasn't a clue.:eek:

25. dougnewman macrumors 6502

The new graphics card will probably be useful for video editing.

However, it is highly unlikely that there will come a time when there is software that is compatible with the new one than the old one.

Aside from the graphics card, the functional differences should be nearly imperceptible.

The old-gen MBP is still a very powerful, state-of-the-art notebook that serve anyone well for years to come.