Performance difference MP 3,1-5,1

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by andogrando, Oct 23, 2010.

1. andogrando macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, I'm a terrible searcher.

I currently own a Mac Pro 2,8GHz 8-core (2008, 3,1) with the following specs;

• Octa-Core 2,8GHz
    • 4GB RAM
    • Modded 4890 Graphics
    • Apple GT120 Graphics
    • X25-M G2 80GB SSD

I use the computer mainly for Photoshop/Illustrator and some CAD-modeling. Sometimes i do some gaming to, mostly Modern Warfare 2.
    Now I have got an offer on the cheapest 2010 Mac Pro. (The Quad with 5870)
    I wonder how big the performance difference between the two would be? I guess both the processor(s) are faster in my current computer, but by how much? Do you think it is worth an upgrade? (Because of the added warranty and so on. Is there any other advantages of upgrading? Money isn't the issue.)

Thanks for your advice!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think the difference isn't big enough to be worth it. If your current MP is fine, then there is no need to replace it. You would have to go for 3.2GHz quad or 3.33GHz 6-core to get noticeably more speed but they cost more.

Add some RAM to your current MP to make is faster. Then rethink about upgrading when the next gen hits the market.

3. Garamond macrumors regular

I agree with Hellhammer. Buy more RAM and stick with your rig until next generation.

4. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

I have a 5,1 3.2
    and a 3,1 2.8

the 3.2 is faster :) in PS about %20 when working hard but remember you are not always taxing out PS

in LR for certain things like the sliders going white to work on images in Dev mode its about %25 faster I think overall

the thing is we replaced a 1,1 machine with the 5,1 and the 3,1 is staying ? so that should tell you that yes the new ones are faster but not enough to get rid of them and replace yet

so like the others I say get more ram ! depending on PS useage and file size ? not sure what to tell you 16 GB at least ? if you want more PS performance make sure you are on CS5 and using SL that alone will give you a big boost in PS performance

get a 40 Gig SSD from OWC for scratch for PS
    not sure what your current HDD are ? but if they are older slower updating to 2TB WD blacks will give you a small boost also ?
    I would put my money into these updates over a new machine at this point :)

5. philipma1957, Oct 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2010

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I agree with the 2tb caviar black hdds. 5yr warranty it can go into your 2011 mac pro, get an owc 40gb ssd 5yr warranty. and up your ram 4gb is vey low.