Perks of owning a Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ginofresh, Feb 20, 2017.

1. ginofresh macrumors member

ginofresh

what are the best perks of having an macbook pro and iphone apple watch and tv ?
    the only thing i know if that i can facetime from my mac and send text message and anything else i can do?

2. killawat macrumors 65816

Free, natively supported encryption out of the box (speedy too).
    Mac OS support
    In store support for many locations

3. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Continuity to answer phone, text, FaceTime between your Apple devices
    Apple Watch able to unlock the 2016 MbP with fingerprint sensor
    Much easier to keep your contacts/calendars/bookmarks synchronized.

Easy to setup a movie collection via iTunes and stream it to any other Apple device.

being able to hand off word documents/web pages/etc between devices at will

Mostly it's just the whole continuity experience, as it makes it a VERY consistent and familiar feel across devices. Phone in the other room? You can answer the call straight from your Mac, your watch. . . . texting on the watch [scribble mode and voice translation] work VERY well when you're lounging in a giant bean bag chair [SUMO] enjoying the weather half asleep and someone decides to want to have a conversation with you when everything else is on your desk.

Little things like that :)

4. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Actually in windows it's ctrl C to copy, and ctrl V to paste :p
    Mac command subs for ctrl.

5. MNJohn macrumors regular

Prospective dates will sense you have money to burn.

6. ZapNZs, Feb 20, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2017

ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Each platform (windows/OS X) as its own advantages and disadvantages.

For me, the advantages of OS X is the fact that I have a user experience that makes life easier, including the use of facetime, and messages. I love the fact that I can easily message people from my computer or face time them.

I find it easier to backup and restore, whether we're talking TimeMachine or Carbon Copy Cloner.

9. leman macrumors G3

Few points from the top of my head:

- One of the most user-friendly incremental backup solutions on the market built-in
    - Copy-paste and switch work between devices seamlessly
    - Ergonomic and well-designed software with a unique "feel" (Apple's Human Interface Guidelines)
    - Messaging/video calls/calling/texting from laptop
    - Instant hotspot from phone to laptop
    - Seamless photo synchronisation without having to store the photos on the cloud
    - Good recovery options (reinstall without install media)
    - Excellent automation support
    - Unix!

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's a cool gee-whiz sort of feature but I do wonder if only a handful of people use it

11. leman macrumors G3

It has some very nice potential tbh. For instance when I want to transfer a long link from my iPhone/iPad to my mac to work with it more comfortably. Or copying text with apps that either can''t use continuity or don't have OS X counterparts (I often do it with sending people links via WhatsApp on my phone). Or (and this is a really cool one) — copy an image on a Mac and then paste it on the phone etc. etc. It was also a surprise to discover that it also works between different macs! I used it extensively when benchmarking two computers :)

12. BarracksSi, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2017

BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

+1 to everyone else's remarks;

I liked the Mac's window management a LOT better than Win10 or Ubuntu (my work laptops). On Mac, Cmd-Tab switches between apps, and Cmd-` switches between an app's open windows. On the others, Alt-Tab switches between all open windows of all apps, which gets out of hand when I've got a half-dozen apps open (and IE puts each tab into the app switcher while Chrome shows only each window; inconsistent, but I prefer Chrome's behavior when I've got a dozen tabs in a Chrome window). I regularly use the gestures available on the Mac's big trackpad, too.

MS Paint SUCKS. Goddammit. macOS's Preview seems like Adobe Creative Suite by comparison. Dumb little things, like being able to draw a double-ended arrow, simply do not exist in MS Paint. I know, I know -- proper drawing software exists for Windows, but I can't install any of it due to work security restrictions. But my point is: why doesn't MS care about how terrible Paint is? With Preview on macOS, I can select, copy, paste, drag, resize, then move on to something else; and if I change my mind later, I can click on an element and move it around again. I can't find a way to do this in MS Paint.

I've gotta try more Handoff tricks. leman described things I didn't know were possible.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 21, 2017 ---
    - Being able to just close your laptop and put it in a bag, then when you pull it out again four days later, it still has plenty of battery remaining. Not even the "Suspend" setting on my Linux laptop can accomplish this for a span of one day.

- If you want to, you can do all kinds of cool UNIX-y things with it... but you don't HAVE to. The Mac's got the geek potential of a Linux box without the steep geek-oriented learning curve.

I'm trying to get focused on the perks of the Mac itself without comparing it to other machines, but it's really difficult these days since I'm now using three OSes (two more than a year ago). But, now, every time I come home to my MB Pro, I like it more and more.

13. Daniel Santos macrumors newbie

I bought my first MBP in 2008. It was a 17". Worked perfectly for me until I replaced it last year around summer time. Gave it to a youngster after cleaning, and he's totally happy with it while running yosemite.

Point is, from my experience, apple makes very durable machines, and I expect my current machine to last for at least 6 years, although it is non user serviceable. The only downside may be the support for operating systems, but then again, my old MBP supported Yosemite (and don't know if ElCapitan would be also)

14. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

Question:
    "what are the best perks of having an macbook pro and iphone apple watch and tv ?"

Answer:
    A very light wallet with nothing in it!

15. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

One point that forgot to be mentioned here, if you have the Mac or any Apple Device you are considered Uber class ;)

16. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Biggest perk is it keeps all your contacts, emails and calendar events synced with each other.

Love the Apple eco system for this!

17. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

This (probably) my biggest reason for still staying with iPhone.

It all just syncs easily across my Macs, iPhone and iPad.

18. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

My biggest reason - I don't have to suffer with Windows

19. The Mercurian macrumors 65816

There is one major reason I have changed my mind about getting a Dell XPS to waiting to see what the next MBP looks like/costs.
    Stupid obligatroy windows updates. Yes, yes, yes I know I can get the pro edition of windows and turn them off. But why should one have to pay extra not to have this "feature" ?

20. twinthumbs macrumors newbie

twinthumbs

My favorites.....
    - the light thinner wallet
    - look way cooler at the coffee shop (Windows machines just don't cut it there)

More seriously its the subtle things..
    - continuity if you have Apple Watch, TV, iPhone
    - when you get in the groove with gestures & keyboard shortcuts, its really fast to navigate around the OS - mission control, etc.
    - generally more stable, less restarts needed, instant on and right to work when you take it out of clamshell mode
    - good battery life
    - longevity (my 2011 still seems like its brand new)

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely something I notice when I use my SurfaceBook and type in an email address, only not to have it

22. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Yep having to confirm email addresses on my phone when sending with the Surfacebook. I am lucking I do not email that much from my Surfacebook.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm sure there's a way, maybe use outlook on my Mac and PCs but I just haven't had the time or energy.

24. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I did a brief search to move mine over and it seemed a little complicated and just moved on. Never been a big Outlook fan but use it when I have to do so.