Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
@dosdude1 - Do you expect there will ever be a way to control backlight from the backlight keys themselves, or unlikely?

Possible to get a diagram of the jumper wire spots? Is there a recommended wire gauge?
Yes, I can add the ability to control the brightness using the keys on the keyboard, however the spots where the jumper wires will need to be soldered to are very small, so it may be difficult unless you have precision equipment.

I will make a diagram for soldering the necessary jumper for controlling with the battery status button.

rubedizzle

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2019
Yes, I can add the ability to control the brightness using the keys on the keyboard, however the spots where the jumper wires will need to be soldered to are very small, so it may be difficult unless you have precision equipment.

I will make a diagram for soldering the necessary jumper for controlling with the battery status button.

That would be great @dosdude1 . Perhaps as a more advanced installation option we could use the schematic for controlling from the original keyboard backlight keys.

Any idea if the keyboard backlight key controls would require an additional update to demux software? Or the current released version?

Thanks

Last edited:

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
That would be great @dosdude1 . Perhaps as a more advanced installation option we could use the schematic for controlling from the original keyboard backlight keys.

Any idea if the keyboard backlight key controls would require an additional update to demux software? Or the current released version?

Thanks
Attached are the diagrams for soldering the jumper wire to enable backlight brightness control using the battery status indicator button on both a 15" and 17" board. Also, here's a video showing exactly how backlight control using that button works.

Using the keyboard keys will require some changes to the DeMux firmware, so I'll let you know when that's available. Soldering jumper wires to different locations will be necessary, as I mentioned before.

diagram_2914.png diagram_2915.png

rubedizzle

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2019
Attached are the diagrams for soldering the jumper wire to enable backlight brightness control using the battery status indicator button on both a 15" and 17" board. Also, here's a video showing exactly how backlight control using that button works.

Using the keyboard keys will require some changes to the DeMux firmware, so I'll let you know when that's available. Soldering jumper wires to different locations will be necessary, as I mentioned before.

Thank you @dosdude1 . Really excited to give this a go!

What do you expect the timeframe is to have the backlight keys functionality added into the demux firmware?

Thanks again for all the solid work here, you've done a heck of a job extending the life of an otherwise great system.

Reactions: FlorisVN

Antonio Gerson B. da Cruz

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2020
Guys, after struggling in flashing my Gmux with Demux (among pads destroyed and having to solder the wires in minute points in the board) I finally did by soldering a capacitor and removing the coil. However, I'm facing overheating in the GPU diode, is that possible since, as @dosdude1 said before, This process cuts permanently the power supply to the GPU. I also notice that CPU is overheating going close to 89 oC. Is that normal or this can be a sign that something is wrong with the board?
I also want to know when the update of the demux allowing the brightness control will be available.
Thank you guys for the support and congratulations, @dosdude1, for the amazing work!

WilYawn

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2015
Sweden

Thank you for all your hard work that give these great machines a new lease on life ?

Eagerly awaiting the keyboard version as I have all the equipment to do it.
Usually I do microsoldering on iPad and iPhone pcbs so this should be a breeze ?

otavio junior

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2020
@dosdude1 friend i'm having problems with the firmware recording, i did procedure 1 just selling the flash wires in the logic board and gave the error in the middle of the procedure. remove the L2406 and gave the same error, I wanted you to help me with that. Use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on MacBook via parallels. do you have a solution? because I even bought 2 licenses thinking it was the license. otaviojunior19831@gmail.com

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2020
@dosdude1 friend I'm having problems with the firmware recording, i did procedure 1 just selling the flash wires in the logic board and gave the error in the middle of the procedure. remove the L2406 and gave the same error, I wanted you to help me with that. Use Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on MacBook via parallels. do you have a solution? because I even bought 2 licenses thinking it was the license. otaviojunior19831@gmail.com
As far as I know, @dosdude1 highly recommends using a real machine running windows instead of a virtual machine. Initially, I thought of using Parallels but when reading this forum I just gave up and borrow my friend's laptop and did the process. I tried several times and was getting error messages one after another. I replaced the wires, lose some pads, soldered 100pF capacitor removed the coil and I only got success after installing new drivers for Lattice. I used the diamond drivers.
Run the software as admin and it will put a log file in you C:\ drive. after that, read what the log says and post it here.
I hope I helped you.

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
As far as I know, @dosdude1 highly recommends using a real machine running windows instead of a virtual machine. Initially, I thought of using Parallels but when reading this forum I just gave up and borrow my friend's laptop and did the process. I tried several times and was getting error messages one after another. I replaced the wires, lose some pads, soldered 100pF capacitor removed the coil and I only got success after installing new drivers for Lattice. I used the diamond drivers.
Run the software as admin and it will put a log file in you C:\ drive. after that, read what the log says and post it here.
I hope I helped you.
It works fine for me on a win 10 installation through parallels on a Mac.

murgan

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2020
I FRIENDS I HAVE PROBLEM IN A1398 MB 820-3332 GRAPHICS ISSUE NEED TO CONVERSION FRIENDS
THANK YOU

dosdude1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 16, 2012
I FRIENDS I HAVE PROBLEM IN A1398 MB 820-3332 GRAPHICS ISSUE NEED TO CONVERSION FRIENDS
THANK YOU
That's a Retina machine, they don't have a defective GPU. Apply new solder to the GPU VCORE regulator IC (U8900), that will fully repair the machine.

murgan

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2020
Display is coming but it stop in center while loading then it will freeze
[automerge]1585238113[/automerge]
That's a Retina machine, they don't have a defective GPU. Apply new solder to the GPU VCORE regulator IC (U8900), that will fully repair the machine.

Last edited:

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
[automerge]1585238113[/automerge]

Yes, that is precisely the symptoms of dodgy solder on the u8900. Dosdude1 has a YouTube video on the repair. So does Paul Daniels, and TCRS, and Lois Rossman has several. Just search u8900 on YouTube. Interestingly later a1398's also suffer the same problem, but the chip is then a u9300.

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2020

View attachment 900845 View attachment 900846
Once again @dosdude1 saved my day. I've just done this procedure and now I have brightness control. Brightness slider doesn't control the backlight on the hardware level but software. Dear @dosdude1 my MacBook has overheating after flashing Gmux, is that normal or can be an indication of other mainboard issues?
Once again, thanks for your efforts and I can't wait for having brightness control on my keyboard again.

Erik Soto

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
Hello guys!
I am trying to bring my old macbook pro late 2011 back to life, disabling the chip like in the photo. I am not a good welder and I am helping myself with a cheap usb microscope. I accidentally lost those two components.
If I continue with the repair, will it work?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• smd.JPG
    smd.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 744
Last edited:

Analias

macrumors regular
May 13, 2019
Hello guys!
I am trying to bring my old macbook pro late 2011 back to life, disabling the chip like in the photo. I am not a good welder and I am helping myself with a cheap usb microscope. I accidentally lost those two components.
Thanks in advance
They are resistors of which the other side goes to the gmux chip you are bypassing. As you are bypassing them it is not going to matter if they are there or not. Just make sure you solder to the correct side of the missing resistor.

Erik Soto

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
They are resistors of which the other side goes to the gmux chip you are bypassing. As you are bypassing them it is not going to matter if they are there or not. Just make sure you solder to the correct side of the missing resistor.

Great , thanks Analias!!!

ykokosh

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2019
hi
have mbp 15 late 2011 10.14.5
tried disable radeon card with terminal and http://dosdude1.com/gpudisable/ , its works, havent any issue with screen
but macbook cant come back from sleep and it dont go sleep when i close screen, only by apple icon
is there any way to get working sleep mode without radeon card?

Erik Soto

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2020
ok, i tring now, but i cant locate the "other side of the board" PCH U1800.
Can some one give me a hint?
Thanks in advance.

JX3P

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2017
Once again @dosdude1 saved my day. I've just done this procedure and now I have brightness control. Brightness slider doesn't control the backlight on the hardware level but software. Dear @dosdude1 my MacBook has overheating after flashing Gmux, is that normal or can be an indication of other mainboard issues?
Once again, thanks for your efforts and I can't wait for having brightness control on my keyboard again.
Hi mate! Any progress regarding your heating issues?

I´m thinking about the gmux solution but where I live, there´s no one to help me with this + Covid. I have temperature issues with my DAW (here Ableton). The dGPU is switched off and only the integrated Intel GPU is used but it seems like that certain Applications use the dGPU and make the machine overheat big time - this was´t that much the case before I updated the OS.

After I've upgraded to Sierra the temperatures of my GPU & CPU (while using Ableton Live 9 or 10) go bonkers. After a few minutes the GPU diode shows 126 C and the CPU rises to 80-94 C (iStat). This seems arbitrary, but I think that it mainly kicks in when using vsts and stays constant at that 126 C peak even after you turn off/kill the vsts.

Any experience with this gmux fix and thermal issues with DAWs? Or maybe software solutions regarding that?

Thanks

Attachments

• temp.png
    temp.png
    165.4 KB · Views: 231

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2020
Hello guys!
Thanks in advance
Dear friend, I was looking for a similar wiring diagram for the macbook pro 17".
[automerge]1586666476[/automerge]
I posted the diagram for both...
@dosdude1 , I saw it, however, I was interested in the wiring diagram for disable the gpu on 820-214.

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2020
Hi mate! Any progress regarding your heating issues?

I´m thinking about the gmux solution but where I live, there´s no one to help me with this + Covid. I have temperature issues with my DAW (here Ableton). The dGPU is switched off and only the integrated Intel GPU is used but it seems like that certain Applications use the dGPU and make the machine overheat big time - this was´t that much the case before I updated the OS.

After I've upgraded to Sierra the temperatures of my GPU & CPU (while using Ableton Live 9 or 10) go bonkers. After a few minutes the GPU diode shows 126 C and the CPU rises to 80-94 C (iStat). This seems arbitrary, but I think that it mainly kicks in when using vsts and stays constant at that 126 C peak even after you turn off/kill the vsts.

Any experience with this gmux fix and thermal issues with DAWs? Or maybe software solutions regarding that?

Thanks
After disabling my defective DGpu I removed some resistors which power the GPU and then, thermal issues were gone. I live in Rio and here temperature goes beyond 40 C, easily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.