Personal hotspot

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by theapplefanboyj, Jun 19, 2014.

1. theapplefanboyj macrumors 6502a

I just restored my phone yesterday from fresh and updated it to the beta 2. I only connected the hotspot to my iPod the next day. When I came to school, my iPhone was instantly connected to everyone's iPods, even some of the iPads! I didn't even add any of them to my personal hotspot, is there a way to control who can use it? I just got a text saying I've already used 80% of my data... :/

2. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Gee thats not good at all, please post if you find a solution. But want the same thing to happen to me:(

3. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hopefully this is fixed with beta 3 and only works with devices on the same Apple ID

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

What's your password, "password"?

5. danielceleste macrumors regular

I noticed a similar thing, in that my iPhone always turns on tethering when I plug into my MacBook. It never did that in 7, and I came close to going over my limit because of it!

Apple has missed a lot of little hiccups in the past with the hotspot/tethering feature, like how iPads can automatically update apps when connected to an iPhone's hotspot.

OP: Be a responsible developer and REPORT what you've found if you haven't already! It's the only way Apple can fix these things. :)

6. theapplefanboyj thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, it's supercalafagalistaexpilaladocious

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I doubt it was "instantly connected". People probably just saw your open hotspot and joined it. Did you put a password on it? That is the only way it will be secure, I don't think the iPhone has mac address filtering when in hotspot mode...

8. legioxi macrumors 6502a

You can only join the hotspot via adding the password or using an iOS 8/Yosemite device with the same iCloud account. I use the hotspot on my phone all the time and have not had an issue where an unknown device was able to connect to it. My iPad and MBA both use it regularly.