Personal Info Appearing In Banner Ads??

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Big-TDI-Guy, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I searched - and couldn't find anything on this.

When I log-in to MR now - I get bombarded with my Amazon Purchases / Recommendations. It's not cool, because I never authorized Amazon to share my info with anyone else. Yet - things that I KNOW are not coincidence - are popping up all over MR. Who else is buying RF activated relays, Banco De Gaia CDs, D40s, 15W Solar Panels and 7A Charge controllers on this sight??? I find that exceptionally hard to swallow.

Is this the first version of spyware on my Mac - or is Amazon / MR / Google logging my IP and targeting me?

Considering I opted out of marketing, sharing of info - it's a tad upsetting, and even more concerning. (not so much at MR - but with Amazon)

Is this happening to anyone else?

I plan on becoming a "contributor" soon - so it's not that aspect bothering me - just the fact this info is being shared in spite of me not agreeing to it. (and actually requesting that it NOT be shared)

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I think you're onto something.

I get Amazon ad's offering me Pearl Jam CD's. I've been recently looking for a PJ shirt, and have quite a bit of their music in iTunes.

3. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

I haven't noticed anything like this. Maybe you should post in the Mac Rumors Feedback Forum and see if arn picks up on it.

4. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

For me its the recommended books under my amazon account.

I dont remember authorizing either amazon or macrumors to do this though.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

MR has nothing to do with this. They belong to an ad service that serves ads. Log the offensive ads and post it here. Arn has frequently stopped ads in the past.

6. Big-TDI-Guy thread starter macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I don't find it offensive - just concerning, considering Amazon was not supposed to share this info.

I'm going to contact Amazon and ask them what is up.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If it's an Amazon ad, they aren't sharing your info with anyone else.

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

its creepy

cause i was looking at the saw movies

then now it shows saw figuires and stuffed toys and talking saw stuff

its creepy

9. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

here is the saw stuff

it wont go away

Click the privacy thing at the bottom on the box

Attached Files:

10. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It's not to do with MacRumors.

Websites store cookies on your computer, which can log any kind of information the website may need to recall in the future if you visit again.

When you look at something on Amazon, say, microphones, Amazon will store this information in a cookie on your computer. Whenever you visit a website with an Amazon advert on it, the advert is in fact coming from Amazon's servers, not the website's. The servers look at the cookies on your computer, and display an advert which matches what you've been looking at.

Disconcerting when it happens to you, but after you realise exactly how it works, there's nothing worrying about it at all. Your information isn't being given out or leaked anywhere. ;)

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Just delete the cookies, I do it regularly. And don't accept ad cookies.

12. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Sorry about the confusion, but as stated above, Amazon is not sharing your information with anyone or MacRumors.

It's essentially the same as you going to Amazon.com and them showing you stuff you might be interested in.

Instead of browsing Amazon, the small ad is a window to Amazon who knows who you are and then posts the relevant information. It happens transparently, and we have no access to your information. And when someone else browses the site they see info for them.

we might not keep it around anyhow...
    arn

13. Big-TDI-Guy thread starter macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Arn, it has nothing to do with you guys - rather it's Amazon. As I *thought* I had opted out of this.

I understand what you're saying, and trust me, this is the lesser of the evils. (pop ups, X42 Webcam, Male Enhancement, Look Younger, ect...)

I've updated my preferences with Amazon, and will wipe my cookies at the end of the day.

I still have plenty of love for MR. Don't worry. ;)

14. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

I'd say it's beacuse you never signed out of you Amazon account. When ever a person doesn't sign out of amazon properly and the person revisits the website, Amazon automatically has recommendations for you. I'd guess is the same thing although being mirrored by MR.

Just delete your cookies and it shall go away... until you log again into Amazon.

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I don't think you quite understand these ads. What exactly do you think you opted out of that would have prevented this? And what's so bad about getting ads for things that you might want instead of things you probably don't? :confused:

16. Big-TDI-Guy thread starter macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well, a good example is a real one.

Two years ago, I got a friend of mine a Christmas present - an anime he wanted, via Amazon. Neither one of us knew it at the time - but it was a disturbing incest Anime... Did I mention, it was disturbing?

So - in spite of "clearing" my purchase history, ect... If someone else were to use my computer. (and this happens) I don't want banner ads of "If you liked XXXX - also consider: Keeping it in the family, Volume 7 / Daddy's Big Boy / Predator - The Sexual One.... Get the idea?

I don't have any shameful purchases (aside from Leopard) - but at the same time, I don't want this to follow me around.

17. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Have you tried the Improve Your Recommendations section of your Account, and simply checked the "Do not use for recommendations"?

Picture 1.jpg

</stupid question>

That's what I do for books, I have little or no interest in, that I order for my girlfriend or others...

18. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

Yeah, I'd really like it if Amazon would stop this. I keep getting ads for Joy Division and other artists I like... But Arn is right, It's just like seeing the recommendations window on Amazon on MacRumors.

19. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Meh. 'tis easier to just demi-up. ;)

Seriously though, that is a bit creepy. :eek:

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Dumb question. :eek: How do you log out of amazon.com? The only way I know is to click the link before the question mark in this line:
    Hello, Doctor Q. We have recommendations for you. (Not Doctor Q?)​
    Is there a more straightforward way?

21. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Nah, that seems to be the official way to do it:

What's wrong with a good old fashioned log out/sign out button...? :rolleyes: