iPad Personal or Family iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by touchu4g, Jun 23, 2013.

1. touchu4g macrumors member

I would like to know whether the iPad is a personal device or a family device and why? My family is debating whether I should let everyone use my iPad. I personally think it is a personal device. What do you think?

2. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a

Geekbabe

3. InTheMist macrumors member

InTheMist

Personal.

There are three iPads in our house.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Personal. Everyone in this house has their own tablet too.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You say MY. Why is that?

The reason I ask is because if you are saying MY because you bought it with your own money than you have every right to tell them to stick it.

iOS was designed as a single user system. That's why there's no user accounts etc to log into. There are very limited restrictions but they were more designed for limiting single user mode when said user is a kid, NOT to make it a multiuser device.

6. touchu4g thread starter macrumors member

I said my because I received it from a family member as a gift.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

It could go either way. What do you use it for? If it is just a small screen TV set and entertainment device or is someone using it for "real work", perhaps a students or musician. If just an entertainment device then treat it like you do the TV set and leave it in the living room.

But obviously if the device is loaded up with some kind of data files you CREATED (not downloaded) then you want to reserve it for that person.

If the iPad is going to sync with a zillion iWork documents you have on the iCloud and then that is different form just web browsing and watching videos.

8. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Since the iPad allows only one user account unlike Android tablets using the OS, the iPad is a personal device.

Like Android tablets, the iPad would need to allow multiple user accounts with secure logins.

9. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

So it was given to you and now they want you to share it. Hmmm, still a bit of a jerk move in my book. Taking a gift to you and trying to recast it as 'for the whole family'

10. ladybev macrumors newbie

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

gifts are off limits, you give me a gift it's MINE. Ownership has transferred. Did someone in the family you're arguing with give it to you? That would complicate things.

12. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

My parents "share" an iPad, but to be honest I don't think I've ever seen my dad use it. Personally, I could never see myself sharing an iPad. Definitely personal in my book

13. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

14. bagelmaker macrumors member

My husband uses my (purchased with my own money) Ipad about 20% of its use. He has a folder labeled with his name that has a ton of apps. But for the most part I think it's a more personal device.

15. scottw324 macrumors 6502

I think they are changing this in iOS though so that argument won't work for long. :D

16. scottw324 macrumors 6502

As for personal or shared, I like mine as personal. I want it when I want to use it. I don't want to get it when the battery is at 10% power because no one else charges it. I don't want a bunch of apps on it that I do not use. I don't want some girly wallpaper on it.

My wife would always find a way to screw up her laptop and then would ask me to fix it for her. I bought her her own iPad 2 (now she is using my old iPad 3 since I am using a Mini now and going to sell the 2) and so far no problems in the 2 years. Rarely does she she is having a problem with anything iPad related.

My 5 yr old has a Coby android tablet that I let her use for some learning games and some coloring apps from The Playstore. When I upgrade to a retina Mini some time next year I will give her this Mini (about the age of 6) and that will be good because I can put more educational games on it. It will last her a few years (after I put it in a tough case).

Can you share, sure, but I prefer one per person if you can afford it. The Mini isn't that expensive if you get refurbish ($279 for wifi 16GB) models. That is what I did. I will probably always go this route from now on and stick with the mini since I got 2 daughters now so I can still get a newer model here and there and not have to spend $499.

17. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

Yeah AT&T has the offer where you get $100 off an ipad.

My 64gb mini was 509, so the 16gb cellular is cheaper than the regular wifi only price

18. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

You think isn't the same as they are. What you think could prove to be very incorrect.

In fact I think it is. I think they have been and will continue to position the iDevices as essentially single user, although they might add the saved restrictions profiles type idea that my cousin suggested (same cousin linked in my sig)

19. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's whatever the users use it as. There's no one-size-fits-all answer to your question.

Doesn't matter what I or anyone else thinks. That's between you and your family.

Accounts are shared by families.

I'd consider it personal but, again, it's between you and your family. Every family is different. Have them talk to whoever gave it to you as a gift.

20. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

While an iPad certainly can be shared, I think a certain amount of its value comes from the fact that it allows quick access to personal information (e-mail, social media, etc.), where the expectation is that the user is not having to log in to such accounts each time they pick up the device.

21. touchu4g thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all of your replies! Well, my parents gifted me an iPad last year. Ever since, I have been using it everyday, I am a student and I use it for school and have created many Keynote, Pages and Numbers documents. Last week, my parents got mad (somehow) and decided the iPad is a "family" device, even though my parents don't like using iPads and have their own iPhone. My brother has an iPod touch and he doesn't use it since it's too hard and that he doesn't like technology.What I don't understand is that they don't let me use their phones (I am perfectly fine with that) but they "need" to use my tablet. My parents think an iPad is a family device where everyone can use it and there won't be any personal information conflict. I think that an iPad is a personal device, like an iPhone or any other phone.

Also, does it make sense to own an iPad and a MacBook Pro? Or it should be one or the other?

22. barkomatic macrumors 68040

It's not worth the argument. Relent and let them use the iPad. You've got more important things to concern yourself with as a student.

23. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

There are many things that you can't do on an iPad and many things that are easier on an iPad. So yeah it makes sense.

Given that it sounds like you are a minor it's probably not worth making an issue out of it. Get your stuff off it and hand it over to your parents. You might add a very mature comment back to them that you don't understand why they gave YOU something and now have decided to take that gift back, especially something they seem to have no real desire to use.

And then babysit, mow yards or whatever and buy a new iPad for yourself. If your parents try to raise a stink point out to them that you worked for the money to buy it for yourself and they have the iPad that they had given you and decided they wanted back so they can use that one

24. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

It's clearly designed to be a personal device, although it could arguably be a shared device if you don't utilize some features. If you utilize it for email and messaging then anyone who uses the iPad will see the notifications for new messages and be able to participate, a clear violation of your privacy. I share my iPad with my wife but refer to it as "my iPad" and not "our iPad" because the email, messaging, and iCloud (calendar, reminders, etc.) are all configured to my corresponding accounts. I trust my wife; I wouldn't feel comfortable handing it off to someone else.

25. Breaking Good macrumors 6502a

So reading between the lines here, someone from outside your immediate family (grandparent, aunt, uncle) gave you an iPad for a gift because you asked for it. Your siblings then decided that they wanted one also. Your parents then decided it was cheaper to recast the gift as a family gift rather than spring for iPads for the other siblings.

I would chaulk this up to a life lesson: Anyone or thing powerful enough to give you whatever you need or desire is also powerful enough to take it all away.