Pete Carroll doesnt like BCS

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Nov 5, 2008.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3683034

of course he loved it when it had his team in the top 2 lol. now when it doesnt he has an issue. forget the fact that usc is in the pac10 (uber weak)

Pete, I have just lost all respect for you, you fair weather BCS fan

2. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

My thoughts exactly. The Pac-10 will always kill their strength of schedule rating. Even if they schedule four tough out-of-conference games each year, it isn't enough to compensate for the tough schedules in the SEC, and for this year, the Big 12.

I mean look at the Washington and Washington State games USC played this year. Not helping the cause.

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Although I like to see any coach come out against the BCS, I'd personally like to hear more Big 10 coaches talking like this. I like Penn St. and have some friends from there, but I'm kind of hoping they go undefeated and get left out. The Big 10 is one of the biggest barriers to a playoff, and maybe getting kicked in the balls a couple of times by the BCS will get them to give their support.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Pretty typical response from those on the outside

Honestly though, where's the beef?
    Win out and he is in a BCS Bowl... the Rose

Should he be in the NC?
    Not if there are 2 undefeateds
    If a one loss team goes, every other one loss team can argue the same

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

5. nanvinnie macrumors regular

i don't think anyone out there LIKES the BCS system. NCAA Football needs a playoff system. The only problem is, there are like 500 billion teams out there.

6. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

well theres 119 D1 teams

and really there are a select few that are head and shoulders above the rest

use the BCS and take the top 6 teams and create a playoff with the top 2 having a bye. use the bcs bowls to be used as the playoff games (there would be 5 games like there is now)

thats my thought process at least and a good compromise using the present system

7. nanvinnie macrumors regular

i'm not exactly sure how the computer calculates and ranks the teams but a system similar to ncaa basketball would be better.. it's still based on the computer rankings but.. .maybe using 32 teams and have a playoff system that way... i don't know.

i really don't have a full solution to the issue, but i think the bcs is crap.

8. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

9. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

fact: every division of every ncaa sport has a playoff, expect for division 1-a football. they like to put up this 'kids have finals' nonsense, which doesn't explain why 1-aa football has playoffs in december. apparently, 1-a football is still engulfed in traditions of bowl games, and they probably want as many teams as possible in bowl games and winning to end their year. in particular, the pac 10 and big ten are the two conferences that are holding this up the most with the rose bowl tie in, which held up the bcs in the first place.

i say top 8 teams from the bcs polls get in (i used to say 12 or 16, but i doubt that will happen). add two more sites (cotton and orange i say) to round out the six, and the national championship will be on rotation between those six bowls.

one more thing, after next year, i'm hearing a conference may be removed from the bcs elite and replaced with another one. something tells me the big east is kicked out and the mountain west replaces them.

10. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

for real? the mountain west is by FAR the best non BCS conference at the moment.

go CSU lol

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I can't stand the BCS. Division 1A football definitely needs a playoff system of some sort.

Pete Carroll is such a hypocrite.

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Virginia TECH?
    Georgia TECH?

Oh... Texas Tech?

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

13. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol because he has the power to do that

14. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As I said in the other thread... why should his opinion on this matter at all?

And he certainly has bigger issues to be concerned with than the BCS or we are all screwed.

Woof, Woof – Dawg [​IMG]

15. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Did he or do you just assume he liked it then? His comments have always been mildly negative and a bit aloof. Where is the hypocrisy? USC got left behind Oklahoma some years back through this oft fiddled with BCS system, even though OK lost its last game by a hefty margin.

If you don't like USC or Carroll, fine, a lot of people don't, but it seems you are looking for an excuse.

Pac-10 is definitely weak this year. There is no way USC can surpass an undefeated PSU or one-loss Florida. Of course, anything can happen in Big-12 South, that is an exciting division to follow. SEC is now just a long countdown to Florida-Alabama title game with a bunch of trap games scheduled before it.

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Every conference has its up and down years. It just so happens that the Pac-10 is down this year. USC does what it can by scheduling well OOC, but beyond that, there's not much it can do. I don't really remember Carroll being a huge fan of the BCS, so his comments don't surprise me.

17. RamblinWreck macrumors regular

RamblinWreck

I agree with you fully. Yeah, it's easy to compare two teams with 1 loss based off of their opponent to whom they lost. With as many teams that run the table as there are, it gets too complicated to decide who is the best team out there.

18. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Absolutely no way.

The MWC has two great teams this year (and one decent one in BYU), but there's no consistency.

19. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

two?

TCU: 9-1
    BYU: 8-1
    Utah: 9-0
    Air Force: 7-2

CSU had been good in the past going back 7-9 years.

Wyoming has been decent at times as well as New Mexico

20. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

No, he didn't.

When you post a quote from Pete where he said he likes the BCS, I'll listen. Until then, stop talking (or, more accurately, bashing teams and people you know nothing about so it fits well with how you WANT to think of teams).

Remember last year? Oregon was legitimately incredible. Cal, before a slew of injuries, was among the best in the land. The PAC-10 swings, and, truth be told, I'm not sold on the SEC until they get a win against their Pac-10 foe, USC. So, Les Miles, is there any reason you refused to play USC when we requested it?

Great post, and spot on. We can't do much about it now besides play as hard as we can.

21. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I should clarify.

Before anything as crazy as the BCS system kicking out one of their conferences to let in the MWC or anyone else there needs to be consistency in the top 25.

Any non-BCS conference needs to have more than one team in the top 25 consistently. That will mean SOS is much higher, and will gain more respect.

The difference between the BCS and non-BCS conferences is that BCS conferences have bad years every now and then whereas non-BCS conferences have good years every now and then.

22. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

all i know is he doesnt bash the bcs when his teams are doing well. when his teams are out of favor with the bcs he complains. got it? good

where is his complaining about the bcs during the last couple years when they were THE team in college football? its not there how surprising

his not arguing over the bcs during the years he is included in the NC game proves he doesnt have a problem with it during those years. let me see him complain about the bcs when his team is #1 lol

no one ever complains about a system unless they feel they are getting the shaft, which he clearly feels he is this year

and since you make the claim i dont know what im talking about, let me tell you im one of the biggest college football followers there is so yea, i would like to think im not totally ignorant on these topics...

23. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

So you're saying that Pete Carroll is like every other college football coach on the planet? ;)

As far as I'm concerned this is nothing but a good thing - the more coaches that complain, the better.

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I happen to have had conversations with Pete Carroll, and I know for a fact that he wants a playoff. He ALWAYS wants a playoff, and if you went to USC or followed him enough, you'd know that. He's one of the biggest proponents of a new system, and he is not the kind of person that only wants a playoff when he's out of the top two.