Peter Capaldi leaves Doctor Who

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yaxomoxay, Jan 30, 2017.

1. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Poor guy barely got to play the Doctor. His whole first season centered around his annoying companion.

2. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yes, he started being a cool Doctor in the second season, especially in Heaven Sent.
    They seriously need to change the writers. Matt Smith was also plagued by horrible writing, he was amazing in the last season he played but then it was too late.

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Matt Smith is my favorite Doctor.

4. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

He is by far my least favorite out of the new series.

On the original series, I like them all through Peter Davidson.

I think the next doctor will probably be a women :).

5. DAC47 macrumors 6502

DAC47

Seems like he only just got here.
    Time files even for a time lord.
    Still seems that 3 series and and a few specials is the standard length these days.
    Pity as he just seemed to be getting in to his stride didn't really like S8 but i really enjoyed S9. I even enjoyed the Xmas specials he's been in.

Anyway cue endless tedious articles about who will be next with loads of unrealistic choices.
    They may go for a woman this time round, no reason not to but it would be a big call and it may look like the show is in trouble and they were just doing to get a publicity boost.
    My guess they'll go back to a Tennant / Smith type / age actor.
    Probably somebody relatively unknown / cheap!.

6. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Although I could never really get into his version of the Doctor, I'm still disappointed. With the new written coming in, he had a chance for better scripts.

Problem is, that as I watch the series this year, all I'll be thinking about is who is going to be the next Doctor.

7. JackRoch macrumors member

8. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Not sure he's up for it!

I think the series needs a rest tbh. I think 5-6 years without it will bring it back stronger. They need new ideas. It's been barely watchable since DT left.

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Disagree; I found series 9 to be the strongest run since probably the mid-late '70s (as long as we just ignore the Mark Gatiss episode, which is usually a good idea anyway). Generally preferred the Smith episodes over the Tennant episodes. I would prefer that it be on consistently every year, with a moratorium on messing around with the schedule.

--Eric

11. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I haven't followed the show as closely as I have wanted, but isn't there now an issue with the number of regenerations the Doctor has?

I remember talking with a friend of mine about how there was a finite number of regenerations the Doctor had, and I want to say it was at 11.

Well, Capaldi was the 11th Doctor, right? If so, if they follow the regeneration aspect of the series, there wouldn't be another Doctor.. so how will they explain a new Doctor?

BL.

12. Eric5h5, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017

Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Capaldi's the 12th Doctor, but technically the 14th, so Smith (the "11th" but actually 13th Doctor) was the "last" incarnation, as there are normally 12 regenerations for a total of 13 incarnations. (John Hurt AKA The War Doctor AKA Doctor 8.5, and Tennant regenerating-but-keeping-the-same-body added two.) They already dealt with the finite regeneration thing, in "The Time of the Doctor".

--Eric

13. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Nah, they solved it already. Capaldi was the 12th reincarnation as we know that John Hurt was the real 9th Doctor during the Time War (the War Doctor). Matt Smith (11th Doctor, that is actually the 12th reincarnation) was given "extra" energy.
    I strongly suggest that you watch the great episode for the 50th anniversary of the show.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 2, 2017 ---
    Yep I forgot about Tennant's double regeneration...

14. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Talk about a get out of jail for free card! :eek::D

I also heard talk about one of the Doctors having a daughter that is still roaming around.. that could lead to the possibility of a female doctor...

BL.

15. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Yep, Jenny...

[​IMG]
    which should not come as a surprise as the Doctor had a granddaughter...

[​IMG]
    5-6 years is a long time, but I am in for a 2-3 years hiatus, which they won't do. I certainly miss the magic of the Tennant years, I felt like a kid waiting for a new episode.
    Problem is that DW has become too mainstream with the current generation of kids, which has its own requirements and needs, so I am afraid I will feel "left out" more and more. I still remember when I had a Dalek t-shirt and people asked me what the heck it was...

16. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

But on the other hand you have people complaining that Moffat's era has been too complicated and confusing and it needs to cater to "regular people" more. So it really can't be both that and "too mainstream" at the same time. Personally I object to the notion that the show needs to be a small cult show to be "special" or something. It's always been aimed at a mass audience, though it's easy to argue that it got too insular in the '80s.

--Eric

17. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Almost my favourite Doctor (Matt Smith will forever be "my Doctor"). I had hoped Capaldi would break the "3 series" rule for modern Who. I thought Series 9 was brilliant for the most part.

Anyway, others have explained how they got around the regeneration limit. Now that there is in universe precedent for cross-gender regenerations and an explanation that they are usually rare (Hell Bent and the General's regeneration) we can see the way for a woman Doc. Furthermore the fact the Doctor got an unspecified and unprecedented number of new regenerations ("anything is possible now") we can open the field a bit more, I can think of quite a few POC actors who would be great. I do have a bias in favour of a male actor and usually an older one (or an older woman actor) just because I hated some of the ageist whining when Capaldi was cast. That said, I am sure they will get a good one, all the modern Docs have been very good actors IMO (writing well variable - better than Lucas though). Many of the old ones too.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 3, 2017 ---
    I forgot about the Master/Missy who I really liked (Both Simm and Gomez). Really not up on the old ones except the one in that awful movie with a painful Eric Roberts (though Paul McGann was good).

18. DAC47 macrumors 6502

DAC47

Apparently some bookies have stopped taking bets on Kris Marshall as the next Doctor...

well he is a bit ginger...

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

If you really want a female Doctor, how about Jenna Coleman (played Clara Oswald) as the next Doctor :).

Matt Smith is my least favorite Doctor by far in the new series.

20. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

This TV show is just as weird as the character.

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I love the announcement.

FWIW, Marina Sirtis also was in contention for playing the next Doctor. ;)

BL.

22. yaxomoxay thread starter macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

23. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

I think it's badass, it's a whole new perspective and she is an _amazing_ actor. The showrunner from Broadchurch (where she starred, and a previous Doctor, David Tennant also starred), is going to be the new Dr. Who showrunner!
    --- Post Merged, Jul 16, 2017 ---
    upload_2017-7-16_17-19-20.png