Petition for a Matte Option on the 15" MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jackfrost123, Feb 18, 2009.

1. jackfrost123 macrumors 6502

The mbp 15" is probably, to me, the best laptop at its size. The aluminum unibody is just stunning, both visually and in a tactile way. No manufacturer even comes close to the marvel of looks and engineering that apple created. Tradionally (more) style concious companies that would use good materials such as sony, toshi, and lenovo dont' have anything that comes even close to the new mbp bodies.

The glass trackpad is also a treat, no other manufacturer can hold a candle to it. To quickly wrap things up, there are also some great internals, the machine is dead silent, with the integrated nvidia graphics it's super cool, upgrade option to the hd is ubelievably simple, as are general upgrades, OS X (enough said), and the display is stunning...

...without that horrible reflective glass shield. THAT is what ultimately mars a great product, for some people (including myself). I am aware that apple stick to their guns in terms of design choices (see the right click button issue amongst others) but they made a rare concession with the option for the matte 17 mbp. Why? Cause they got a lot of heat I am sure by people demanding this. Yet I think they've silently let slip that the 15" doesnt stand a chance to go that way.

WELL I SAY LETS CHANGE THAT. Let's go en masse to apple to give feedback that WE ABSOLUTELY WANT OUR MBPs TO BE MATTE. That as is the product is way, way to reflective. That outside work is unbearable. That since they demonstrated how easy an option it is for them to mod, (and how cost effective), the 17" they should offer this for the 15" one. Users who want to use matte should go as far as to have to buy the 17 beast.

What's worse is that when looked side by side the reflectiveness of the mbp is nowhere near the reflectiveness of the glossy mbp of the previous geration. Actually compared to this one, the previous mbp doesn't even look glossy at all!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Everyone please just spend, three minutes max voicing your will here, I doesn't have to be a lenghty note, just let them know.
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

Do you think an online petition would be useful too?

2. Cantunis macrumors member

I hereby sign the pledge for a matte option .

Also I would like a removable anti-glare filter I can snap in my current gloss 2.8 mbp in case Im having lots of reflections .

3. guest8t88 macrumors member

Signed, thou it would be to late, as I bought the 17" antiglare already.

4. TheLordsServant macrumors member

5. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

6. aresinferno macrumors regular

Not signed. Not that i am against them providing an option i find that there is absolutely no problem with their glossy display. How hard can it be to turn out of the ridiculously bright sun that would cause problems with any screen. I feel that everyone is saying bad things about these glossy screens to go along with the crowd.

if you need outside work stick to something a little less expensive ;)

7. guest8t88 macrumors member

Well, I've seen the gloosy screen and I did not like it.
    So going with the flow, no.
    How ever I do doubt that they will give a matte option to the 15.4", ut people are allowed to hope.

8. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL!!!!! Very funny!:D

9. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Do you really think that a "petition" with some hundreds of signatures will make Apple change their decision ?

10. guest8t88 macrumors member

If you ask me, then no, but it is a way of telling them that people have different needs.:cool:

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I used the feedback to tell Apple not to listen to the whiners and stay with the glossy.

12. naths macrumors 6502

I think the glossy screen is great,would be nice to have a choice though,its not as though these are cheap and chirpy machines....would still go for the glossy even if the matt was an option...:apple:

13. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Why complain about giving people options? You can still get glossy, why deny others their choice? Would you like if someone asked Apple to not provide glossy screens?

14. aresinferno macrumors regular

When that day comes apple won't be using screens at all. If they stop doing matte and then glossy...holograms maybe XD

15. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

16. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

It changed their decision and obliged them to have a matte option for the 17" ACCORDING TO THEIR OWN PUBLIC ADMISSION, and I quote verbatim: "but some of our highest end customers would really rather not have a glossy panel on the front so we' ve also created (...) an antiglare".

That means:We got negative feedback and adapted accordingly by changing our design.

MacWorld 2009 Keynote: Introduction of the MacBook Pro 17" Unibody:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Br1NVEX8TA
    2.25 mins in.

17. jackfrost123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly, some people think in real strange ways...:rolleyes:

18. Intense macrumors regular

I do think it's possible for us consumers to get a matte option.
    They have it on the 17" why not on the 15"

I still have glare with the 15" matte on the old macbook pro, so it must more a lot more intense on the glossy option.

I would sign my name for the petition, I also believe that sales numbers make a huge difference as well, so if enough buyers opt-in for $50 non-gloss option on the 17", that would help the cause for the 15"

19. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

I am a happy user of a glossy unibody, but ill sign because i understand some people have different needs. Good Luck!

20. elevensheep macrumors newbie

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Not in the least. Apple never pays any attention to those.

22. AluminumMac macrumors newbie

The 17" version is to have both matte and gloss options. i am sure it is on the way for the 15" version as well. It would really only be one new part. Also, who are you going to send this petition to? Nobody of value is ever going to see it. if everyone buys the 17" version in matte then Apple might see the value in selling matte screens.

23. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I sign, but I think they will listen only to dramatically low MBP sales. And this might happen only after Windows 7 is released. Or may be (= most likely) never.

- thistle

24. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I like the glossy too but I think the bezel outside of the LCD area is distracting. That said, I think the OP is not "really" getting the point of why the matte option is only for the 17".
    Of course Apple knows that many people would like to have the matte option all the way down to the 13"...BUT...the people who complained that Apple was referring to were people that need a larger screen to do critical work in terms of photos or programs like mathematica, indesign, illustrator or autocad. Most people using smaller screens just don't have that high of a demand for the "perfect" LCD viewing experience.
    And with THAT being said, you may not see a matte option on anything other than the 17".
    Notice how the iMac and the new Cinema Display don't have matte options?

25. Marsil macrumors member

I will sign - I don't like the glossy screens and really hope apple will keep future displays in no-gloss. Or at least as in the 17" MBP as an option.

I think customer behavior for the 17" MBP will be important.