Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paul Dawkins

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Stonehenge
Your analogy doesn't work since macOS and iOS are based on the same technology, with macOS being superior to iOS functionality-wise, while steam engines were based on outdated technology, and functionally inferior to internal combustion engines. And anyway, car engines aren't logically comparable to computer operating systems. On a personal level, to suggest that I am resistant to change is ridiculous. I'm an early adopter to a fault, but I want things to advance, not regress, and iOS is a regression in most ways.

It was refering to the change itself regardless of what came firsts or was/is superior.

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
The MBP is not about power, and hasn't been for along time. It's about style; it's the only machine to be seen with at your local Starbucks.

That's why Steve introduced the unibody MacBook, to try and filter the fashionistas out of the Pro product line. Those people don't understand computer specifications, but have lots of disposable money, so they ignored it and kept thinking they needed the "best" laptop regardless of their needs or the target market.

These days it's more of a MacBook Plus than a MacBook Pro.

Did these ever have a NVIDIA Quadro in them for actual studio movie production work? No. Sometimes, there are pros that need NEED a $5,000 Quadro for their work.

This whole "these computers are not pro" argument needs to stop. So I cannot write one line of code with Xcode? I cannot produce even a second of music with Garageband/Logic? I cannot produce even 1080p video? I can not do ANY photography work?

Get real people. How are these not pro?

Paul Dawkins

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Stonehenge
Did these ever have a NVIDIA Quadro in them for actual studio movie production work? No. Sometimes, there are pros that need NEED a $5,000 Quadro for their work.

This whole "these computers are not pro" argument needs to stop. So I cannot write one line of code with Xcode? I cannot produce even a second of music with Garageband/Logic? I cannot produce even 1080p video? I can not do ANY photography work?

Get real people. How are these not pro?

The actual person makes it pro, not the tool. A tool is a tool. Sadly almost nobody understand this here.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
The actual person makes it pro, not the tool. A tool is a tool. Sadly almost nobody understand this here.
There is a huge difference between tools, even for the person who "makes it pro".

8796909404190_celum_45935_560Wx490H.jpg
8851872088094_celum_116427_560Wx490H.jpg

Paul Dawkins

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Stonehenge
Change is inevitable. Change for the worse is not.

You can't possibly know that.
[doublepost=1483017937][/doublepost]
There is a huge difference between tools, even for the person who "makes it pro".

View attachment 680607 View attachment 680608

Stop extrapolating one nonsense from the other. There are people that can do miracles given any tool and there are people that just whine because somehow some this tool is so bad it's a sole reason their work is rubbish.

Their work is rubbish because they are poor artists, tools are just tools.

The amount of lies (also know as rationalisations) people will tell themselves and others in here is mind boggling.

Reactions: MacsRuleOthersDrool

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
...Stop extrapolating one nonsense from the other. There are people that can do miracles given any tool and there are people that just whine because somehow some this tool is so bad it's a sole reason their work is rubbish.

Their work is rubbish because they are poor artists, tools are just tools.

The amount of lies (also know as rationalisations) people will tell themselves and others in here is mind boggling.
The functionality and capability of tools is objective as I tried to show you on a simple example.
The ability and creativity of the user is subjective and in most cases is limited by the capabilty of tools for the purpose, i.e. what you can do with one tool, you can not do with another.

Reactions: kdarling

kdarling

macrumors P6

Well, yes and no. Skill is a big factor, but anyone who uses tools of any kind, knows that there are different quality and capability levels available. Even a skilled professional can't do their usual work speed / quality with an underperforming tool set.

The point in this thread is that Apple themselves add "Pro" onto their top models, and advertise on their website that their Pro apps are for professionals. Therefore buyers have higher expectations of quality, usability and functionality... same as with buying say, a "pro" saw.

Paul Dawkins

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Stonehenge
The functionality and capability of tools is objective as I tried to show you on a simple example.
The ability and creativity of the user is subjective and in most cases is limited by the capabilty of tools for the purpose, i.e. what you can do with one tool, you can not do with another.

As americans say ... whatever, dude.

tentales

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010
There's a reason for that. CR has been around for about 80 years and has been testing products throughout the decades, so they know what they're doing. They've been doing this much longer before Apple's time. CR's job is to report what the results were and it's up to the manufacturer to remedy the problem.

That responsibility lies on the engineering and design departments. It sounds like someone over there overlooked the issue or knew about it, rushing the 2016 MB Pro out to meet the scheduled deadline. It makes me sick to my stomach when Apple fans get super defensive about just this ONE report on Apple's products.

I trust Consumer Reports over most websites due to its objectiveness. CNET is a bit. . .biased at times. CR is a powerhouse, one in which Apple can't afford to ostracize.

I was not criticizing CR. I'm supportive of any publication regardless of heritage or longevity to scientifically and critically examine a consumer product. Sometimes even CNET has that capacity. Don't forget all media is being influenced and there's bias and business interest everywhere.

True Apple fans don't need to be defensive. Defensive people are not fans, they're just butt hurt that other people dare criticize them for their purchase decisions.

it's not worth getting an ulcer over other people's opinions. Try some PeptoB :)

Sep 8, 2016
You're probably right.
After I wrote that, I actually read as much about the matte finish in a review. Plus, I think that matte finish makes the image almost appear as if it was PRINTED on Lexan. In fact, the first few photos I saw of the tb, I thought "That doesn't even look like a lit-up display. That's pretty cool."

steveaburns

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
I
Finally!!!

Now THAT's interesting!

Can you look at the iFixit tear down (see Step 6) and see if you can figure out what might be in that location?

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Touch+Bar+Teardown/73395

And you say the Energy tab seemed to "know" that something was sucking down power, yet did not point to a software culprit?

I think you need to contact Phil Schiller (via Twitter?) with this info. Seriously.

I looked at step 6, and I would say, my best guess, the closest component to the area of heat is the AMD Radeon 450 in that picture.

When power was being 'sucked down', there were not any misbehaving processes...
When I did switch over to the Energy tab whilst it was reporting only 3+ hours remaining, nothing was taking any significant energy at all. Processes running were: safari, email, iMessage, iTunes, Photos Agent, Time Machine, Finder, Spotlight... I don't recall how many of those were App Napping, but none were taking any significant power... I hopped over to the CPU tab and nothing was taking any more than 1.5% (if you ignore Activity Monitor)... really all CPU activity was very low.

Sep 8, 2016
I

I looked at step 6, and I would say, my best guess, the closest component to the area of heat is the AMD Radeon 450 in that picture.

When power was being 'sucked down', there were not any misbehaving processes...
When I did switch over to the Energy tab whilst it was reporting only 3+ hours remaining, nothing was taking any significant energy at all. Processes running were: safari, email, iMessage, iTunes, Photos Agent, Time Machine, Finder, Spotlight... I don't recall how many of those were App Napping, but none were taking any significant power... I hopped over to the CPU tab and nothing was taking any more than 1.5% (if you ignore Activity Monitor)... really all CPU activity was very low.

From your description, I had already co clouded it was the AMD GPU, too; but I didn't want to influence your choice.

Ok, so this is VERY interesting!

The Energy Tab doesn't "know" this is happening, and it makes sense that it isn't a runaway Process, since not only would that show up on the CPU Tab; but I think the heat would have been over on the U & I keys, rather than the E & R keys.

Do you remember if the fans were going crazy at that point?

I am even more convinced than ever that Apple needs to have these facts. I have designed the software and hardware for about a dozen industrial control products, and I can tell you that the more intermittent a problem is, the harder it is to find. And since you have such a clear indication that the GPU, rather than the CPU, is running amok, and that the OS doesn't seem to realize it, that is information an engineer WILL listen-to!

You ARE onto something here. Follow through. PLEASE!!!

Reactions: ImaxGuy

Theway400

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2016
I was able to run GTA V for 1hr 15mins on 15" Radeon 450 model :/
(Win10 via boot camp)

...I like the computer, so I got the 460 and took the 450 back... Ill do the same test again soon.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
If only they could get past this obsession with thin . . . They wouldn't have had to cut the 15" battery by 25% (amongst other things!).

Joseph Rash

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
In short, you would take random anecdotes of poor battery life from people on forums and social media at their word? Just like that?

hi I know u don't know me but I just bought the new MacBook with touch bar yesterday
and I am gladly to say the battery suck ass ! I have been using MacBook Pro 13 2011 model and I couldn't wait to get the new MacBook Pro which I did now , I have been using for the last 2 hours and it reached 50% drop , I am not joking man I'm a light user all I do is browsing the web and do my paper work , no photoshop no editing job and its already dead ! Im pissed
I love my Macbook pro with touch bar really but all I can get is 5 hours for video watching , browsing and do some paperwork for my job .....

Sep 8, 2016
hi I know u don't know me but I just bought the new MacBook with touch bar yesterday
and I am gladly to say the battery suck ass ! I have been using MacBook Pro 13 2011 model and I couldn't wait to get the new MacBook Pro which I did now , I have been using for the last 2 hours and it reached 50% drop , I am not joking man I'm a light user all I do is browsing the web and do my paper work , no photoshop no editing job and its already dead ! Im pissed
I love my Macbook pro with touch bar really but all I can get is 5 hours for video watching , browsing and do some paperwork for my job .....
Well. It appears there is an issue. Until Apple issues a fix, When this happens, try shutting all the way down and restarting, and see if that doesn't help.

Also, when experiencing abnormal battery drain, see if you feel extra warmth coming from where the "E" & "R" Jesus are on the keyboard.

Let us know what you find...

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
I feel it is important that we learn to see new opportunities rather than just problems all the time.
LMAO! In meantime the only opportunity we know for sure is that Apple gets the chance to sell you a shiny new, expensive adapter you didn't need before.

Sep 8, 2016
LMAO! In meantime the only opportunity we know for sure is that Apple gets the chance to sell you a shiny new, expensive adapter you didn't need before.
LMAO!!

Actually, it is MUCH more likely that AMAZON will be selling you that nice, shiny THIRD-PARTY adapter than APPLE.

Plus, since MANY (and soon, ALL) laptops are going the way of USB-C/TB3, this is exactly what you have to look forward-to, no matter whose Laptop you choose.

I covered these points quite thoroughly in my Post linked below:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ro-battery-test.2023636/page-28#post-24127134

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
Actually, it is MUCH more likely that AMAZON will be selling you that nice, shiny THIRD-PARTY adapter than APPLE.
Regardless of the vendor, it's still another bit of kit you didn't need to buy before.
Plus, since MANY (and soon, ALL) laptops are going the way of USB-C/TB3, this is exactly what you have to look forward-to, no matter whose Laptop you choose.
I would hope other manufacturers realize that while USB-C may--or may not--be future, the vast majority of us in this space-time continuum live in the present, so adding a USB-C port or three in addition to keeping some current and legacy ports would better serve their customers.
I covered these points quite thoroughly in my Post linked below:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ro-battery-test.2023636/page-28#post-24127134
Looks like a bunch of links to cheap cables and dongles of dubious origin, many of which I'd be wary of when connecting them to your shiny, new $3,000+ laptop! ;-)

GSDLVR123

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2016
USA
I wonder if Apple will be forced to allow people to trade in their MacBook Pro 2016s for the next improved updated model, if it is indeed proven that battery life is not as long as advertised.

As surely that is false advertising?
[doublepost=1482609334][/doublepost]
I'm currently doing my own battery tests on the MacBook Pro 15 touchbar and so far it's not looking good.

I've put my 2015 MacBook 15 for sale on eBay and I have probably around 2 days left to decide whether to keep it, and return the new one. I'm torn.

Apart from the battery I personally really like the new machine. I love the touch bar. But I don't want to be stuck with a dud of a computer due to weak battery life. Ugh
[doublepost=1483399494][/doublepost]i'm doing battery tests as well...i need help though understanding what to really expect (I'm NOT a computer guy). I'm testing the machines versus my oldest daughter's machine (2015 13" MBP also with 16GB) . I'd appreciate feedback on this topic please: I purchased 2 13" tbMacbook Pros (upgraded to 16GB)..these were for my 2 younger kids (for CHRISTMAS). We have been traveling so they have had little time to use the machines. Last night I set up a Netflix movie on all 3 machines and got 396 minutes on one tb machine, 401 on the other and 483 minutes on the 2015 machine. All 3 were set to full brightness and 2 bars of sound. I had them play Minecraft on full bright on all 3 and the tb machines got 99 minutes and 100 minutes and the 2015 machine got 227 minutes on the 2015 machine (the tb machines both cut off at 3% battery and the 2015 machine went to the end). I called Apple and had them run a diagnositcs on both new machines and nothing is wrong. Is the 20% less battery life on the new machines to be expected? I don't hink the battery lif will be an issue - as my kids are rarely allowed to play games and also have Ipads and and Imac at home but do not want to miss out on my return window if there is a problem. I just do not know what is normal battery life. They will primarily be using these for school work.

Sep 8, 2016
Regardless of the vendor, it's still another bit of kit you didn't need to buy before.
I would hope other manufacturers realize that while USB-C may--or may not--be future, the vast majority of us in this space-time continuum live in the present, so adding a USB-C port or three in addition to keeping some current and legacy ports would better serve their customers.
Looks like a bunch of links to cheap cables and dongles of dubious origin, many of which I'd be wary of when connecting them to your shiny, new $3,000+ laptop! ;-)
Your initial premise was that APPLE was Profiteering from Adapter-sales. When I show you that that didn't HAVE to be the case, you PIVOT to say instead:

1. Well, it doesn't matter if you buy from Apple or not.

2. You wouldn't want "cheap dongles and cables".

3. A crippled USB 3.0 Port is still better than using a tiny $2.50 (3 pack for $7) USB-C to USB-A adapter like the one below from Amazon that you can just snap onto the end of your precious USB-A thingy and forget it.

As I said, you can easily turn a single USB-C port into a USB-A port (or four) (and many others) at any time; but you can NEVER turn a USB-A port into ANYTHING else. It is a USB-A port, and that is that. Meanwhile, each USB-C port can be up FOUR Full-Bandwidth USB 3.0 ports (not a Hub, but rather, a breakout) for $7; or up to SEVEN Full-Bandwidth USB 2.0 ports for $13, as shown below.

So, either way, you have MORE choice, not less, with USB-C.

https://www.amazon.com/VIMVIP®-Ultra-thin-Multiple-Adapter-Supported/dp/B00XZZTAOO/

https://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-Individual-Switches-Macbook-Support/dp/B012CO30YE/

End of discussion.

71irU9OATFL._SL1500_.jpg

So, it's patently obvious that ANYTHING I say will simply be gainsay-ed by you, as you keep moving the goalposts in a desperate attempt to find something objectionable.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.