Phil Schiller Discusses WWDC 2019 on Accidental Tech Podcast

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:07 PM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing, Phil Schiller, participated in the 317th episode of Accidental Tech Podcast hosted by Marco Arment, Casey Liss, and John Siracusa. The podcast was recorded just a day after the announcement of the official dates of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference which takes place from June 3rd to June 7th, 2019 in San Jose, California.

[​IMG]

The podcast covers a range of topics regarding Apple's attempt to service both large developers as well as small independents. Schiller confirms that the reason WWDC remains limited at approximately 5,000 developers is the inability to offer a quality experience given the limitations in the number of Apple engineers that would be available for one on one sessions at the event. Notably, Schiller notes that both he and others at Apple follow blogs, emails, podcasts, forums, and social media after events and monitor and listen to that feedback.

Schiller participates in the full podcast at the very start of the episode.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Discusses WWDC 2019 on Accidental Tech Podcast

2. martyjmclean macrumors 6502

martyjmclean

"What's your passcode?"
    "Courage"
    I love that Phil has a nice sense of humour about himself. :p

3. Lone Deranger macrumors 68000

Lone Deranger

Lets hope Schiller et. al follow the Mac Pro forums here too. Don't need another trash can debacle.

4. majurg macrumors newbie

majurg

5. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Hi Phil!

6. jimthing, Mar 15, 2019 at 11:48 PM
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 12:00 AM

jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

" Hey Phil how ya doin'
    Sorry I couldn't get through
    Why don't cha leave yer name, and ya number
    And I'll get back to you "

...says everyone on their en-courage-ing calls to get some Applecare.

7. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Phil, if you're reading this, I hope you can know that we filmmakers simply want the cheesegrater Mac Pro back, but with modern components. No need to reinvent the wheel. We just want sheer power, with no thermal throttling, and the ability to add our own PCIe cards/upgrade RAM/upgrade CPU/GPU. Also, we need you to repair your relationship with NVIDIA. We love Apple, but over the last few years we feel almost like you've abandoned us. Bring us the Mac we need! Thanks Phil!

8. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

work your way up to getting jony ive to sit down on your show and see if you have the guts to ask the hard questions

9. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

More like “I” want, rather than what “we” want.... :rolleyes:

10. HJM.NL macrumors 68000

HJM.NL

Isn’t this one of the reasons the progress of development at Apple is so slow? They’re getting involved in more an more things like streaming video and, to me, it seems like they’re pulling developers away from iOS/MacOS.

How come progress at Apple is soooo slllllooooowwww?

11. ikir macrumors 65816

ikir

Thunderbolt is the future but yes GPU and PCIe in Mac Pro can be good too. Forget Nvidia, AMD is super star of OpenCL and Metal, every year is better, CUDA software are beginning to support OpenCL and Metal at least on macOS. Nvidia drivers are terrible, AMD is the best choice for eGPU, best choice for Linux and macOS and best choice for computing.
    Radeon VII is a incredible GPU for creation and ready for future and in a year we will have Navi.

12. bladerunner2000 macrumors 68020

bladerunner2000

What for is he doing that?

It hasn't done much good. How many years has it been since they've launched the Mac Pro without a single update to it? They still that outdated junk for nearly the same price it originally sold for.

Phil, if your reading this;

We want phones with headphone jacks.
    Laptops with proper keyboards and serviceable parts.
    A good desktop computer that doesnt destroy our bank accounts or throttle just because you chose to make it look pretty instead of having proper cooling.

And most importantly; stop lying. Stop being a corporate spin doctor. Have some integrity.

13. Relentless Power, Mar 16, 2019 at 2:35 AM
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 5:11 AM

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Except, Phil Schiller specifically already commented on this with the launch of the iPhone 7. They stated specifically when removing the headphone jack it was antiquated. Bluetooth is here, the headphone jack isn’t coming back for the iPhone, and I think they made that clear by even removing it for the iPad. Even if Phil was reading this, that doesn’t change their perspective given the future of wireless and the AirPods. Time to move on.

14. StellarVixen macrumors 68000

StellarVixen

I know Phil, Craig and others are reading these and other forums. I would be too...

But the Apple is not Phil nor Craig. Apple is bigger than both of them. Decisions are brought on whole other level, because Apple is a corporation, and most of us know how things work in a corporation.

15. Reason077 macrumors 68020

Reason077

Was he joking? Lots of hot Phil Schiller nudes circulating on the dark web right now.

16. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

By gigantic enterprise standards, they move really fast. We’ve got 20,000 making a large piece of industry software, you’d know the name, but it’s not Apple famous. Some of the 2019 stuff we’re releasing was first started in 2014... and first planned even earlier than that. This is par for the course everywhere.

As consumers we think they move slowly, the reality is they release two major OS versions per year and hardware alongside it, it’s a massive effort.

17. Vjosullivan, Mar 16, 2019 at 5:39 AM
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2019 at 5:49 AM

Vjosullivan macrumors 6502a

Vjosullivan

The Mac you need already exists. It's just that now it runs Windows.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 16, 2019 at 5:48 AM ---
    I'm not sure either macOS software or hardware is evidence of that.
    20,000 people on one piece of software? That would certainly explain why things are going so slowly!
    "This is par for the course everywhere." True, but doesn't explain the increasing discrepancy between Mac and non-Mac PC/desktop capabilities.
    I'm not sure I'd describe the biannual releases as major. The last "major" upgrade appears to be the introduction of Dark Mode.

18. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Given the lack of updates. Evidence would suggest they don’t. It’s not as though a new Mac Pro is some Herculean task. All the parts are already available. They just need to select some parts, write the firmware, polish up some drivers and put it in a shiny Apple case.

19. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Don’t give this forum any credit. They are aware of this without us

20. Manzanito macrumors regular

Manzanito

I know they are not supposed to ask a lot of uncomfortable questions, but keeping in mind the level of criticism they have regarding lack of a mac pro, lack of ports and unreliable keyboard on the laptops... I expected more. Way to kiss Phil’s innovative ass.

21. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

A huge get for the ATP guys but these interviews are always disappointing because of what they can’t ask. So the interviews turn out to be mostly fluff.

22. Suttree macrumors regular

Suttree

But he’s a “filmmaker.” That makes him extra prominent.

23. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

Incorrect. The vast majority of pro users in all industries just want a regular tower that runs macOS. Pros need a truck to get their work done, not a luxury car. But many of us require macOS for our workflows, so Windows PCs are not an option.

24. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

I upvoted that comment and I'm not a filmmaker - there are a lot of people in a lot of different fields who want what he described.