Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Phil Schiller Discusses WWDC 2019 on Accidental Tech Podcast

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing, Phil Schiller, participated in the 317th episode of Accidental Tech Podcast hosted by Marco Arment, Casey Liss, and John Siracusa. The podcast was recorded just a day after the announcement of the official dates of Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference which takes place from June 3rd to June 7th, 2019 in San Jose, California.

The podcast covers a range of topics regarding Apple's attempt to service both large developers as well as small independents. Schiller confirms that the reason WWDC remains limited at approximately 5,000 developers is the inability to offer a quality experience given the limitations in the number of Apple engineers that would be available for one on one sessions at the event. Notably, Schiller notes that both he and others at Apple follow blogs, emails, podcasts, forums, and social media after events and monitor and listen to that feedback.

Schiller participates in the full podcast at the very start of the episode.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Discusses WWDC 2019 on Accidental Tech Podcast

Reactions: StellarVixen

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011
London, UK (Europe, Earth, Space)
" Hey Phil how ya doin'
Sorry I couldn't get through
Why don't cha leave yer name, and ya number
And I'll get back to you "

...says everyone on their en-courage-ing calls to get some Applecare.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

aaronhead14

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Phil, if you're reading this, I hope you can know that we filmmakers simply want the cheesegrater Mac Pro back, but with modern components. No need to reinvent the wheel. We just want sheer power, with no thermal throttling, and the ability to add our own PCIe cards/upgrade RAM/upgrade CPU/GPU. Also, we need you to repair your relationship with NVIDIA. We love Apple, but over the last few years we feel almost like you've abandoned us. Bring us the Mac we need! Thanks Phil!

Comment

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Phil, if you're reading this, I hope you can know that we filmmakers simply want the cheesegrater Mac Pro back, but with modern components. No need to reinvent the wheel. We just want sheer power, with no thermal throttling, and the ability to add our own PCIe cards/upgrade RAM/upgrade CPU/GPU. Also, we need you to repair your relationship with NVIDIA. We love Apple, but over the last few years we feel almost like you've abandoned us. Bring us the Mac we need! Thanks Phil!

More like “I” want, rather than what “we” want.... :rolleyes:

Comment

HJM.NL

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2016
Netherlands
Schiller confirms that the reason WWDC remains limited at approximately 5000 developers is the inability to offer a quality experience given the limitations in the number of Apple engineers that would be available for one on one sessions at the event.

Isn’t this one of the reasons the progress of development at Apple is so slow? They’re getting involved in more an more things like streaming video and, to me, it seems like they’re pulling developers away from iOS/MacOS.

How come progress at Apple is soooo slllllooooowwww?

Comment

ikir

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Thunderbolt is the future but yes GPU and PCIe in Mac Pro can be good too. Forget Nvidia, AMD is super star of OpenCL and Metal, every year is better, CUDA software are beginning to support OpenCL and Metal at least on macOS. Nvidia drivers are terrible, AMD is the best choice for eGPU, best choice for Linux and macOS and best choice for computing.
Radeon VII is a incredible GPU for creation and ready for future and in a year we will have Navi.

Comment

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Notably, Schiller notes that both he and others at Apple follow blogs, emails, podcasts, forums and social media after events and monitor and listen to that feedback.

What for is he doing that?

It hasn't done much good. How many years has it been since they've launched the Mac Pro without a single update to it? They still that outdated junk for nearly the same price it originally sold for.

Phil, if your reading this;

We want phones with headphone jacks.
Laptops with proper keyboards and serviceable parts.
A good desktop computer that doesnt destroy our bank accounts or throttle just because you chose to make it look pretty instead of having proper cooling.

And most importantly; stop lying. Stop being a corporate spin doctor. Have some integrity.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Phil, if your reading this;

We want phones with headphone jacks

Except, Phil Schiller specifically already commented on this with the launch of the iPhone 7. They stated specifically when removing the headphone jack it was antiquated. Bluetooth is here, the headphone jack isn’t coming back for the iPhone, and I think they made that clear by even removing it for the iPad. Even if Phil was reading this, that doesn’t change their perspective given the future of wireless and the AirPods. Time to move on.

Last edited:
Comment

StellarVixen

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
I know Phil, Craig and others are reading these and other forums. I would be too...

But the Apple is not Phil nor Craig. Apple is bigger than both of them. Decisions are brought on whole other level, because Apple is a corporation, and most of us know how things work in a corporation.

Comment

Blackstick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2014
Sunny South Florida
How come progress at Apple is soooo slllllooooowwww?

By gigantic enterprise standards, they move really fast. We’ve got 20,000 making a large piece of industry software, you’d know the name, but it’s not Apple famous. Some of the 2019 stuff we’re releasing was first started in 2014... and first planned even earlier than that. This is par for the course everywhere.

As consumers we think they move slowly, the reality is they release two major OS versions per year and hardware alongside it, it’s a massive effort.

Comment

Vjosullivan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Phil, if you're reading this ... Bring us the Mac we need! Thanks Phil!
The Mac you need already exists. It's just that now it runs Windows.
[doublepost=1552740512][/doublepost]
By gigantic enterprise standards, they move really fast.
I'm not sure either macOS software or hardware is evidence of that.
We’ve got 20,000 making a large piece of industry software
20,000 people on one piece of software? That would certainly explain why things are going so slowly!
Some of the 2019 stuff we’re releasing was first started in 2014... and first planned even earlier than that. This is par for the course everywhere.
"This is par for the course everywhere." True, but doesn't explain the increasing discrepancy between Mac and non-Mac PC/desktop capabilities.
As consumers we think they move slowly, the reality is they release two major OS versions per year and hardware alongside it, it’s a massive effort.
I'm not sure I'd describe the biannual releases as major. The last "major" upgrade appears to be the introduction of Dark Mode.

Last edited:
Comment

velocityg4

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Lets hope Schiller et. al follow the Mac Pro forums here too. Don't need another trash can debacle.

Given the lack of updates. Evidence would suggest they don’t. It’s not as though a new Mac Pro is some Herculean task. All the parts are already available. They just need to select some parts, write the firmware, polish up some drivers and put it in a shiny Apple case.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.