Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

phil_schiller-150x171.jpg
DNA sequencing and array-based technologies company Illumina today announced that Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller has joined its board of directors.
"Phil's track record and global experience in bringing world-class products to market will help guide us as we continue to develop innovative new solutions for our customers," said Francis deSouza, Illumina President and Chief Executive Officer. "His vision, integrity and passion are fully aligned with Illumina's core values."
Schiller has been part of Apple's senior executive team since the late Steve Jobs returned to the company in 1997. He has helped market several products, including the Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV, and the Apple Watch, and he has managed the App Store across all Apple platforms since last December.

Illumina, founded in 1998, is a San Diego-based biotech company focused on genetic research solutions to fuel advancements in life science research, translational and consumer genomics, and molecular diagnostics. It ranked third on MIT Technology Review's list of the top 50 smartest companies in the world in 2016.

Schiller holds a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology from Boston College, where he graduated from in 1982.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Named to DNA Sequencing Company Illumina's Board of Directors

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I like Phil, he has done well at apple. Having said that, the picture is from several years ago - he looks a little more weathered today. Also, if you look around Tim has mostly kept the old guard, but brought in a few Women to add diversity. Mostly the old guard is getting...well...old. Hopefully they have good replacements ready to go. I have not been impressed with Angela and that was the biggest new hire by Tim.

Apple needs to start thinking about (if they arent yet) succession plans for all these top execs. They should put the Eddy Cue one into action right away.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Apple is really strong on marketing and Phil has been the head of marketing for years.
I don't think he is the one to decide to avoid upgrading the Macs or make the iPhone insanely thin, his job is to promote the products and the brand and he is really good at it.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
He's trying to clone himself to continue the Watch Bands revolution for centuries to come.

No, he's trying to clone the team and continue to sabotage the Mac line-up consistently.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Good reference Sir.

what we know so far:

Probably similar case as the iPhone 6
Probably, no 3.5" jack
(not even the name)

Let me fix that for you. What we know so far:

• nothing at all

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
If I had a dollar for every Apple fan in denial of the fact that those "Chinese fakes" are going to be exactly the same design as we see on the iPhone 7... As it was with the 6S, the 6, the 5...

Talk is cheap

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple is really strong on marketing and Phil has been the head of marketing for years.
I don't think he is the one to decide to avoid upgrading the Macs or make the iPhone insanely thin, his job is to promote the products and the brand and he is really good at it.
You obviously don't know what his job is then. He's way more than the head of marking. I would bet there are zero hardware product decisions that Phil doesn't sign off on or have a say in. And no doubt he is heavily involved in what the product lineups look like, what the specs specs and pricing are.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
The "fakes" have almost always had quite a bit of truth in them in the past…

I present you... the iPhone "5SE"! With rounded corners, with camera bump, and iPhone 6-like antenna lines:

258275-640.jpg

And the Chinese fake take on it:

se4-780x540.jpg

They were right, it had 4"
[doublepost=1469712581][/doublepost]
Ok, I bet you $1000. Put your money where your mouth is.

I can't bet that money, but I'm willing to bet, where can we actually bet?

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
You obviously don't know what his job is then. He's way more than the head of marking. I would bet there are zero hardware product decisions that Phil doesn't sign off on or have a say in. And no doubt he is heavily involved in what the product lineups look like, what the specs specs and pricing are.

Of course he is involved in pricing decisions, and I bet he is the main sponsor of 16GB on the iPhone to sell more 64GB units, that's clever marketing.
He obviously have a say in every major product decisions, as some other VP, I just immagine he is not the one advocating for delaying new Mac introduction because it sounds bad for the business to me, but I might be wrong.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Of course he is involved in pricing decisions, and I bet he is the main sponsor of 16GB on the iPhone to sell more 64GB units, that's clever marketing.
He obviously have a say in every major product decisions, as some other VP, I just immagine he is not the one advocating for delaying new Mac introduction because it sounds bad for the business to me, but I might be wrong.
At the end of the day Apple wants to sell product. It's harder to sell stuff that's outdated. I don't think there's anyone inside Apple advocating for a delay in introducing new Macs.

Reactions: citysnaps

indychris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2010
Fort Wayne, IN
Was anyone else humored by this line:

"He has helped market several products, including the Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV, and the Apple Watch, and he has managed the App Store across all Apple platforms since last December."

It's not that the article is incorrect, but describing the 'Mac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone, Apple TV and Apple Watch' as "several products" is like describing the Atlantic Ocean as a 'swimming hole'. Those things ARE apple. :)

Reactions: orbital~debris

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I can't bet that money, but I'm willing to bet, where can we actually bet?

No idea, great idea for a website though "I bet you" where people can bet against each other, who gets the deciding win would have to be arbitrated somehow though... Hmm.

How about a sig bet - "I was a fool for doubting the wisdom of Jimrod/Zirel". ;)

Conditions for a Jimrod win = iPhone "7" (the one being released in September '16) Has:

1. Same basic size, shape, form factor as the 6/6S - perhaps slightly thinner.

2. Rear antenna bands removed and top/bottom ones remaining.

3. Larger camera lens shifted to parallel corner radius.

4. Slightly larger battery (1900-2000mAh or so)

5. Removal of 3.5mm jack socket, replaced by "speaker" holes (no confirmation of what is behind yet).

Conditions for a Zirel win =

Anything very different from stated above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.