Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Philips Hue app was today updated to version 5.14, adding support for widgets. Hue widgets can be added to the Home Screen, Lock Screen, or Today View, and can be used for controlling lights and other accessories.

philips-hue-app-widget.jpg

Widgets come in small, medium, and large sizes with the largest widget supporting eight actions or scenes. Widgets can be tailored to the entire Hue bridge or to lights that are located in specific rooms, so you can set up a widget for each of your rooms if desired.

Each of the actions can be customized, and you can choose a scene from the Hue app or opt to turn lights in certain rooms on or off. Dimming lights is not an option, nor is activating automations, but some of that can be done through scenes. Adding a widget is a useful way to control frequently accessed lights or scenes.

Along with widgets, the update also improves Friends of Hue switches like the Lutron Aurora Smart Bulb Dimmer Switch. Switches now support time-based light, the scene cycle mode, the natural light scene, and more.

The Philips Hue app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. It is designed to work with Philips Hue lights and accessories.

Article Link: Philips Hue App Gains Support for Widgets

Feenix

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2015
I updated the Hue app, I even restarted the phone. I go to the widgets edit screen on my home screen and there’s nothing when I search for Hue or Phillips. Any ideas?

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I updated the Hue app, I even restarted the phone. I go to the widgets edit screen on my home screen and there’s nothing when I search for Hue or Phillips. Any ideas?
You have version 5.14.0?

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
Go to settings in the Hue app and scroll down to the new widgets setting. Can enable from there.

Edit - Scratch that comment. That was only for learning more about them. Still exploring here.

bodhisattva

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2008
It’s just a big “control lights with widgets” splash image and a “Learn More” button.
Not sure if order matter or which did it, but I just shut down the phone, waiting about 2 minutes and powered on. Then I set up a shortcut for Hue. When I went back to add a widget it can now see Hue as an option and I was able to set up.

Feenix

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2015
Not sure if order matter or which did it, but I just shut down the phone, waiting about 2 minutes and powered on. Then I set up a shortcut for Hue. When I went back to add a widget it can now see Hue as an option and I was able to set up.
Ok I didn’t do **** but I just tried again andit just came up. Seems to literally just be a “wait a bit” thing.

Reactions: bodhisattva

YankeeSR23

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
New Jersey
I remember them having widgets before and then removing it and telling me to use home automation to control my lights and I hated it cause it never worked properly. Every time I’d reply to them on twitter I would ask them to do a widget again so this news makes me happy.

Are you telling me I have to waste a spot to turn the lights off? They can’t make it so one tap turns the light on and another tap turns it off?

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
Why wouldn’t you just use the Home app/shortcuts for this? Seems like a waste of development effort
A couple reasons come to mind:
  1. Home adds quite a bit of delay to commands.
  2. Philips doesn’t want to give away control of features to Apple. It’s nice that Home and Hue work together but a first party app is a much safer bet than relying on an OEM app from an unpredictable company.
  3. And Hue is cross-platform.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
A couple reasons come to mind:
  1. Home adds quite a bit of delay to commands.
  2. Philips doesn’t want to give away control of features to Apple. It’s nice that Home and Hue work together but a first party app is a much safer bet than relying on an OEM app from an unpredictable company.
  3. And Hue is cross-platform.
Hm...

1. No delays whatsoever when using the Home app.
2. They have done this a very long time ago.
3. What does this have to do with iPhone widgets?..

Reactions: dustin_

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I remember them having widgets before and then removing it and telling me to use home automation to control my lights and I hated it cause it never worked properly. Every time I’d reply to them on twitter I would ask them to do a widget again so this news makes me happy.

Are you telling me I have to waste a spot to turn the lights off? They can’t make it so one tap turns the light on and another tap turns it off?
Home app widgets can)))

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Cool, but if you have it synced up with HomeKit already you've always had this ability.

And I must say, for all the flack Siri gets, one of the really great things about it is controlling Hue lights. You can give it any command you can think of. Make the lights blue, green, dim them 50%, ask it to turn on a custom scene, etc.

Reactions: dustin_

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That screenshot leaves me confused. It strikes me as a poor UX design. Very little distinction between "On" and "Off", and the themed scenes don't indicate their On/Off status at all. Am I confused?

Not a Hue user, so won't affect me, but seems like a missed opportunity to do a better job at the design.

Lurker-Monkey

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2023
I’ll probably still use the home app from control center more still, but the Hue widgets are a quick shortcut to some of the Hue Labs scenes I have setup in the app so it adds some functionality for me.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
Anyone have any good app recommendations for animation / ambiance? I know about HueDynamicPro, OnSwith, Thorlight, and iConnectHue. HueDynamicPro is probably most what I’m looking for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.