Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
Yeah I meant using it as a Home Hub. Guess I'll buy an Apple TV eventually, we own an iPad but my gf takes it to work every day, would that work still? I guess it wouldn't be of much use though when I'm back home but she's still out. Apple TV that sits at home all day (or HomePod) would make more sense.
I gave up on using my old iPad as a Home Hub years ago and got an Apple TV. It's soooo much better as a Home Hub than an iPad ever was. And it's fun to watch shows with spacial audio :)

Reactions: baking soda

Neil Harrison

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2020
It's super easy to group bulbs into sets — otherwise it would be crazy annoying — as I'm sure you've noticed Hue bulbs aren't the brightest, and I go way back before the 1600L bulbs ever existed, so I have several bulbs sitting on each 'light'. If you'd like I can send a screenshot, but yea — totally doable!

I have done that is really easy and much easier to set scenes etc.

Still really struggling with these lights though. All the scenes and automations work perfectly in HomeKit. As soon as I use switches (tap switches) I get a random colour generator. So frustrating

Reactions: alexandr

alexandr

macrumors 603
Nov 11, 2005
11201-121099
I have done that is really easy and much easier to set scenes etc.

Still really struggling with these lights though. All the scenes and automations work perfectly in HomeKit. As soon as I use switches (tap switches) I get a random colour generator. So frustrating
Interesting. I've noticed that in some instances, forming groups — overwrites the color/percentage you've set for a particular light. This can get quite annoying, but I usually just go into a scene and make sure everything is as I want it to be. Of course there are minor glitches, like when I set my TV scene — I dim some of the lights to a certain percentage, and sometimes the next time I turn my light on to a regular 'ON' setting — some of those lights might be a bit dimmer. Not the end of the world)

Reactions: Neil Harrison

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You can get covers that go over the light switches so they are on all the time and magnetically hold a Hue dimmer. I have 18 of these in my house. When you remove theHue dimmer you can poke your finger though a hole to turn the physical switch on / off if you need to.

The benefit of this method is you don’t need 2/3 way wired switches for bedside lights or dual light points… You can stick them anywhere. Much cheaper for a lighting install.

I am using homekit switches in a couple of places where the lights are static Like the garage

Only 2 lights in the house that are Not hue or HomeKit controllable. Hob extractor downlight and utility cupboard :)
I mentioned the fact that it’s in the EU, no such covers and another big advantage of our system is that you can get lots of different brands/models/colours.
As I said before, shame the Shelly dimmers don’t dim as good as Hue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.