Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Nope. This Hue user wants more Hue products just the way they are. Been burned too many times by wifi 'smart' devices which can't hold a connections for more than a week.
Then you've bought junk, or don't know how to configure Wi-Fi properly. Philips Hue is way down at the bottom of the barrel today and has been left in the dust by much smarter yet utilitarian products that look like they belong in a home.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Don’t understand the trend :rolleyes: for these retro “filament” LEDs. Another ridiculous example of skeuomorphism.

They certainly match the look of many old lamps hence their relevance. Good that one can now get a matching modern LED bulb while retaining the look.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Then you've bought junk, or don't know how to configure Wi-Fi properly. Philips Hue is way down at the bottom of the barrel today and has been left in the dust by much smarter yet utilitarian products that look like they belong in a home.

Not my experience. Hue is a hugely successful system and ours has been running quite reliably for many years.

My Nanoleaf installations as an opposite example are way more prone to unresponsiveness and lag.

Dismissing the opinion of others as either having bought junk or being unable to configure something is a bit on the harsh side.

PastaPrimav

Suspended
Nov 6, 2017
Not my experience. Hue is a hugely successful system and ours has been running quite reliably for many years.

My Nanoleaf installations as an opposite example are way more prone to unresponsiveness and lag.

Dismissing the opinion of others as either having bought junk or being unable to configure something is a bit on the harsh side.
I've probably lost more Smart Home products than you can count. And I have no idea what a Nano leaf is. But it's not one of the many extremely popular and reliable products being used by builders or enthusiasts.

These days I have about 50 HomeKit compatible devices (more if you include Ring products that are connected via Homebridge). I still maintain 1 Philips Hue lighstrip and 1 bulb, and the bulb is the only light out of 50+ products that routinely is non-responsive. The reason is because it has to connect to the Hue hub, and does not connect to Wi-Fi.
The over 40 Leviton Decora Smart wallswitches that I have, that are direct swap in for standard decora switches and look and function like any switch, never have any such issues. They connect directly via Wi-Fi, and take advantage of the well-designed series of Wi-Fi access points around the home.

Hue was good in the early days when it was the only such thing. It hasn't evolved one bit, and has been passed over by much smarter products.

Last edited by a moderator:

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I've probably lost more Smart Home products than you can count. I've probably lost more Smart Home products than you've ever purchased. And I have no idea what a Nano leaf is. But it's not one of the many extremely popular and reliable products being used by builders or enthusiasts.

These days I have about 50 HomeKit compatible devices (more if you include Ring products that are connected via Homebridge). I still maintain 1 Philips Hue lighstrip and 1 bulb, and the bulb is the only light out of 50+ products that routinely is non-responsive. The reason is because it has to connect to the Hue hub, and does not connect to Wi-Fi.
The over 40 Leviton Decora Smart wallswitches that I have, that are direct swap in for standard decora switches and look and function like any switch, never have any such issues. They connect directly via Wi-Fi, and take advantage of the well-designed series of Wi-Fi access points around the home.

Hue was good in the early days when it was the only such thing. It hasn't evolved one bit, and has been passed over by much smarter products.

Sounds like you have a big house with excellent wifi coverage. Good for you. Meanwhile your Hue operates as a mesh network, but with only two nodes in a big house, it's very likely to have unreachable spots in the home. Many people are living their life the other way around and are very happy with their Hues running on a nice stable mesh network decoupled from their spotty wifi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ericwn

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Sounds like you have a big house with excellent wifi coverage. Good for you. Meanwhile your Hue operates as a mesh network, but with only two nodes in a big house, it's very likely to have unreachable spots in the home. Many people are living their life the other way around and are very happy with their Hues running on a nice stable mesh network decoupled from their spotty wifi.

Spot on, but careful, alternate viewpoints are easily dismissed here as we obviously don’t know what we are talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.