Philips Hue Line Gains New Filament Smart Bulbs

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Signify today announced that its Philip Hue line of lights is gaining several new filament bulb options, which will be available in a variety of sizes.

Filament bulbs are bulbs that can be used with or without a lampshade, unlike other Hue bulbs that are designed for use primarily with lampshades. Filament bulbs can be viewed straight on and look attractive even when displayed in a naked lamp.

The Filament bulbs can be used over Bluetooth without a Philips Hue hub using the Philips Hue Bluetooth app, but if you have an existing Hue setup, the bulbs can also be added in the traditional manner and paired with your other Hue lights.

The Hue Filament bulbs are LED bulbs that are available only in a warm white light (2100K, 530 lumens) with an amber coating. The bulbs can be dimmed, but there are no color options.

There are three Hue Filament bulbs that will be available in the United States starting in October. There's a traditional A19 bulb that will be available for $24.99, a ST19 tube that will be available for $27.99, and a G25 globe that will be available for $32.99.

For more on the new Filament bulbs, check out the Hue website.

Article Link: Philips Hue Line Gains New Filament Smart Bulbs

Veinticinco

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Don’t understand the trend :rolleyes: for these retro “filament” LEDs. Another ridiculous example of skeuomorphism.

BlueCreek

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2014
Really want to get started with a HUE kit, specially with all of these new products, but just can’t justify the initial price...

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
Don’t understand the trend :rolleyes: for these retro “filament” LEDs. Another ridiculous example of skeuomorphism.
For American households which usually use overhead lights and ugly recessed kitchen spotlights, sure. However, in many EU and Scandinavian countries when light is more “accented” with several lamps (i.e. the bulbs are often more visible) then how the light bulb looks like does matter. This “coziness” feeling you get from a filament bulb or a candle light is unparalleled.

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
How is it ridiculous? Traditional LED bulbs are pretty ugly and if you have lights around your house that are hidden inside of frosted glass or behind a lampshade, you probably will appreciate a nice looking bulb.
Agreed, while I prefer the colored Hue bulbs so I can change the color temperature based on the time of day, I don't find these objectionable at all, and for some people's décor they probably go quite well.

NiKeZz

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Topeka, Kansas
Hope they make a candelabra option. I have a couple lamps around the house with clear globes that would look great with these, but need a candelabra base to fit the lamps.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

borghe

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2018
If there is little-to-no blue light emission from these, I can see these being a massive hit. I'd personally replace a lot of existing Hue bulbs in my house to drastically cut down on blue light emissions especially during the winter.

Jimmy James

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I’m a big fan of warm lighting for many applications. These are expensive but you get immense service life with led. They would potentially last me for decades.

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
This is fabulous news. I live in a Tudor property and these will be brilliant, day 1 purchase for sure. Now, if they can just sort out the hub and app limitations.

Last edited:

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Really want to get started with a HUE kit, specially with all of these new products, but just can’t justify the initial price...
The new lamps can be controlled using Bluetooth. So no cost of admission other than the lamp.

Aston441

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2014
just try one bulb

just one can't hurt

it's not as addictive as crack

i promise

lol

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
The bulbs come in three varieties: 1. Just plain dimmable. 2. Changing temperature. 3. Changing colour. The starter kit with three colour changing bulbs is a lot of money, a starter kit with two plain dimmable bulbs is quite cheap.

You might have a look on eBay. Sometimes the starter kits with three bulbs cost less than three bulbs - so people buy the starter kit and have all the stuff that plugs in your WiFi twice. You may find someone selling that on eBay for cheap.

Reactions: BlueCreek

PastaPrimav

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2017
Personally I think it is weird that Philips Hue is still given so much attention. They rank very low on the standards of modern Smart Home products.

- The entire product (a bulb) is designed to be placed in a fixture and then "leave the light switch on". This is very, very poor design and the antithesis of what anyone should want in their home. If you have a fixture with no wall switch: fine. But no one should be turning switched fixtures into "don't touch that switch". It is a much more professional and high-quality move to replace the wall switch itself with any of the various in-wall Smart Switches available, and then use any bulb you want.

- Using a hub is ancient. If your smart home products don't use Wi-Fi directly, forget it. Performance will be lackluster and unreliable, just like Philips Hue has been for virtually everyone since the beginning. If it needs a hub, look elsewhere. If it doesn't support Wi-Fi natively, look elsewhere.

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
Personally I think it is weird that Philips Hue is still given so much attention. They rank very low on the standards of modern Smart Home products.

- The entire product (a bulb) is designed to be placed in a fixture and then "leave the light switch on". This is very, very poor design and the antithesis of what anyone should want in their home. If you have a fixture with no wall switch: fine. But no one should be turning switched fixtures into "don't touch that switch". It is a much more professional and high-quality move to replace the wall switch itself with any of the various in-wall Smart Switches available, and then use any bulb you want.

- Using a hub is ancient. If your smart home products don't use Wi-Fi directly, forget it. Performance will be lackluster and unreliable, just like Philips Hue has been for virtually everyone since the beginning. If it needs a hub, look elsewhere. If it doesn't support Wi-Fi natively, look elsewhere.
Nope. This Hue user wants more Hue products just the way they are. Been burned too many times by wifi 'smart' devices which can't hold a connections for more than a week.

Reactions: ericwn