Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips Hue parent company Signify today announced an expanded relationship with Samsung, bringing the Philips Hue Sync TV app to additional countries, adding a Music Mode, and introducing a monthly subscription option.

samsung-philips-hue-sync.jpg

As of last year, Samsung TV owners have been able to download a Philips Hue Sync app that allows Samsung smart TVs to be linked to HomeKit-connected Hue bulbs and lighting products. With the integration, content played on Samsung TVs is synced to the lighting in the room.

When the feature launched, it was priced at $130 for Samsung TV owners, but starting this spring, there will be a lower-priced subscription option. Customers can choose to pay a monthly fee of $2.99 to use the Hue Sync app on up to three TVs, or a one-time fee to unlock it on a single TV. The Philips Hue Sync TV app is launching in Brazil, Hong Kong, Poland, the Czech Republic, and Slovakia, so Samsung TV owners in those countries can use the functionality.

On compatible 2024 Samsung TV models, there is a new Music Mode option that allows the lights to react to the audio of what's playing on TV rather than the content of the screen. It is compatible with any music played on the TV, and will also be coming to Samsung TVs made in 2022 and 2023 later this year.

For those without Samsung TVs, the $250 Hue Play HDMI Sync Box paired with a streaming device like an Apple TV is the only way to get TV content that's synced to lights, so the Samsung TV app provides a simpler solution for those who have Samsung TVs.

The Philips Hue Sync TV app is available for Samsung Q60 series or higher QLED TVs that were made in 2022 or later.

Article Link: Philips Hue Sync TV App for Samsung TVs Gets Subscription Option and Music Mode

Cranslove

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2023
Ffs.. yet another subscription based model thing for something that should come as a feature.

Now it’s Samsung with Phillips but it wont’t be long till we get to the point where you own an iPhone, subscription based. Like the payment plans they have in the states but then actually never get to own the device.

Mailia

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2010
Finland
Ffs.. yet another subscription based model thing for something that should come as a feature.
I had a Philips TV that got the Hue sync feature as a free update a couple of years into my ownership of said TV. I imagine that Philips considers this feature a competitive advantage for their TV lineup and thus charges to use it on non-Philips TVs.

Not that I imagine many people are buying Philips' TVs just because they have built-in Hue sync.

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I wish they would expand this to other TV manufacturers. I would buy this and the light strip for my TCL, but it’s not enough of an advantage to buy a Samsung TV.

But the external solutions by Philips, Govee, and Lytmi leave a lot to be desired.

Reactions: SFjohn and Huck

lucasajackson

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2017
I have the sync box. It's junk... We had to unhook it, because it turns off after 10 minutes. It also does work with some streaming app DRM like Spectrum.

Reactions: Huck

ShadowJade

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2014
Even though I have an 80” Samsung, I bought the Hue Sync box for my gradient strip. I also got 1 for my living room TV. It is game-changing graphically. I also got a strip for each of my kids PCs (oddly the app is free for each of them). The only drawback to theirs is that it cannot sync content on 2 devices on the same bridge, so I needed to get a 3ᴿᴰ bridge. One child shares syncing with the living room TV, but we never really use that one except during parties.

• Wow
Reactions: Huck and Morod

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Now it’s Samsung with Phillips but it wont’t be long till we get to the point where you own an iPhone, subscription based. Like the payment plans they have in the states but then actually never get to own the device.
This model works quite well in the UK where we usually lease boring German cars, pay a monthly fee (plus the costs of running and keeping it roadworthy), then you hand it back to the finance company after usually 3-5 years.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
I dunno. This $2.99/mo fee is not going to feel good when I charge them my rate of $850/hr whenever I have to tech troubleshoot it with them. So, they are playing a dicey game!

Reactions: mhnd

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004

An iPhone subscription plan like the one from Hewlett Packard and their printers. Stop subscribing to ink deliveries and your printer stops working.

• Haha
Reactions: k1121j

whiteashsaturday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2020

I had Phillips a long while back, and stopped. The issues with blue light alone, messed with my sleep. Samsung TVs are blue light centered to mess with your sleep patterns. People would be wise to avoid these things, but no, they are advertised on MacRumors.... kinda wish it were Mac Related more.

• Disagree
Reactions: hagar and k1121j

tothemoonsands

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2018
FYI: Don’t buy the current Hue Sync Box.

It suffers from a myriad of issues, including intermittent brief cut-outs, and doesn’t offer 4K/120hz HDMI 2.1 for the latest video game consoles.

There’s been rumors for well over a year that a new 8K (HDMI 2.1) sync box was soon releasing. Pics even leaked from an Amazon listing. But no news yet.

Many Hue costumers, myself included, are frustrated by the lack of update to support HDMI 2.1 given that we are almost to a new gen of consoles.

It’s a horrendous buy at $250 right now. Even on steep sale, I would highly recommend waiting.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
By far the best HomeKit lights. I have 43 of them bulbs, fixtures. Best in response and smoothness, reliability. Also they rely on WiFi.

They are spendy so I tried every other alternative I can find and I’m still sticking with hue.

csdesigns

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2018
FYI: Don’t buy the current Hue Sync Box.

It suffers from a myriad of issues, including intermittent brief cut-outs, and doesn’t offer 4K/120hz HDMI 2.1 for the latest video game consoles.
While I too wouldn't recommend someone purchase the current Sync Box model (at the current price) due to the somewhat dated hw capability, I haven't noted any HDMI handshake issues in well over a year with my setup (which is extremely custom and complex). The issues of the initial fw releases with HDMI handshakes, and especially Dolby Vision (which is still limited – it is just that the limitations are now known and can be easily avoided in most setups), seem to have been ironed out – for me at least.

I never understood the purpose of sticking RGB to your TV. It’s distracting and gimmicky, and who in the right mind would pay a subscription for it?
It can certainly be gimmicky for certain types of content. A serious film drama will not benefit much from bias lighting (IMHO), but a fun poppy movie like Barbie or pretty much any summer blockbuster can feel more immersive. Especially in completely dark rooms. I love gaming with bias lighting enabled. And it helps reduce the strain on my eyes when gaming for long sessions with HDR-capable games. But yeah, a subscription to enable a feature on what are already the most expensive lights on the market in what is considered a premium TV lineup? F' OFF Samsung and Signify!

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I wish Apple would launch this kind of feature for Apple TV that supported any brand of Homekit-compatible lights.
i have not seen one light that was responsive enough for this to work besides the hue lights. Not to mention most lights just switch colors and don't fade from one color to another... But yes it would be cool.

k1121j

Suspended
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
I had Phillips a long while back, and stopped. The issues with blue light alone, messed with my sleep. Samsung TVs are blue light centered to mess with your sleep patterns. People would be wise to avoid these things, but no, they are advertised on MacRumors.... kinda wish it were Mac Related more.
what light are you referring to.... Mine hue lights with home kit adaptively change based on the time of day....so its a non issue with blue light

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.