Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Can I just cut a $1000/mo payment and get every damned thing that needs a sub? Adobe, Netflix, iCloud. One payment to rule them all…

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Paying monthly for changing the color of your living room lights…. How far humanity has come.

Seriously…
This is Hue Sync, not "regular" Hue. (This is essentially an add-on to the Hue system that can automatically and dynamically control your lights in sync with media you are playing.) Further, this is just for the Samsung Hue Sync app--the physical box is still available as an alternative (for any TV) and is a one-time hardware purchase; and as both the article and summary state, a perpetual license is still available even for this app.

This is not to say that subscriptions are not out of control in general, just that this particular claim isn't an accurate representation of what is happening in this case. :)

whiteashsaturday

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2020
what light are you referring to.... Mine hue lights with home kit adaptively change based on the time of day....so its a non issue with blue light
For most of the screenshots of advertisements they are always "hallowing" something with blue light. I did use my Hue as you do, to change throughout the day, that was a neat feature. I'd still avoid the Samsung, and the Subscription models though.

Reactions: k1121j

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
so much money for a distracting gimmick... and more junk to take up space in your TV console... sometimes less is better..

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
Meanwhile in Canada, we are still waiting for the Sync app to become available in the Samsung App Store. It's a joke that I bought a TV based on an announcement and then learn after buying the TV and setting it up that they don't make the app available in Canada.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
seems like theyll offer both.

i was originally floored by the price of the one time fee; for me, $3/month seems cheaper than 250 for a “lifetime” subscription for the one tv that ill probably replace every 5-6 years.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
Look, I’m not about trashing subscription models, but this just seems absurd, what WON’T they apply a subscription model to? This should be free if you buy the damn products. Pretty soon, you’ll buy a TV in the store, and you can only access one HDMI port and 50% brightness unless you pay a monthly fee.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
its not like its a subscription to actually use your lights, just to sync it to your tv so you can go “oooh tvs green and so are my lights!” this is the most unnecessary thing in the world i cant imagine a luxury more suited to a subscription option. also its an option. $3/month for up to 3 tvs or $130 lifetime per tv. i get that subscriptions are annoying but this is like… everyone take a deep breath

• Haha
Reactions: k1121j

Bearxor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
I never understood the purpose of sticking RGB to your TV. It’s distracting and gimmicky, and who in the right mind would pay a subscription for it?
When it works, it's pretty amazing. It makes the experience very immersive.

At the very least, you should get a strip of white LED's for the back of your television to reduce eye strain, especially if you spend more time watching with all the lights in your room off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.