Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips Hue is set to release an updated dimmer switch and a brand new "Wave Linear" outdoor lighting system in early 2021, according to hueblog.com and smartlights.de.

philips-hue-dimmer-switch-2021-on-wall.jpg

The popular Philips Hue dimmer switch, which has been around for some years and is often included in Philips Hue kits, is to see an update that brings a refreshed design. Instead of having four buttons like the current model, the new version is set to have only three buttons, with the middle two dimmer buttons being combined into a single rocker button. The "on" button is also gaining a small tactile marking so that users can find the correct button in the dark.

philips-hue-dimmer-switch-2021.jpg

The general design has been updated to be more curvaceous and subtle, with matte white plastic being used instead of the current glossy white plastic. The base plate is also due to increase in size to 80mm by 125mm, in order to completely cover EU in-wall outlets. The current dimmer switch base plate is too narrow for this.

philips-hue-linear-wave-2.jpg

Moreover, Philips Hue will reportedly introduce a new "Wave Linear" outdoors lighting system. Wave Linear will integrate with existing Hue low-voltage outdoors products such as the Hue Lily, Hue Calla, or Hue Outdoor Lightstrip.

philips-hue-linear-wave.png

Designed to illuminate large outdoor spaces evenly with color, such as an exterior house wall, it will be able to produce up to 1,400 lumens of brightness and 16 million colors. The Philips Hue Wave Linear system will supposedly become available in Spring 2021.

Article Link: Philips Hue to Introduce Updated Dimmer Switch and 'Wave Linear' Outdoor Lighting

Last edited:

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
don’t buy...they recently updated their software and broke all my dimmer switches and motion sensors with homekit...I kept saying watch they are about to release something new...this is bull crap!! 5 dimmer switches do nothing now, 15 motion sensors only work with Alexa now...bet you the new ones work perfectly with homekit, I’m predicting a new motion sensor and bridge coming out soon next

• Disagree
Reactions: Smigit and Dekema2
Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
don’t buy...they recently updated their software and broke all my dimmer switches and motion sensors with homekit...I kept saying watch they are about to release something new...this is bull crap!! 5 dimmer switches do nothing now, 15 motion sensors only work with Alexa now...bet you the new ones work perfectly with homekit, I’m predicting a new motion sensor and bridge coming out soon next

On the flip side, I have never had a single issue with the dimmer switches/lights, and I have over 50. The dimmer switch is a must because you don't always want to use voice, and need to leave the physical switch in the on position.

Comment

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN

On the flip side, I have never had a single issue with the dimmer switches/lights, and I have over 50. The dimmer switch is a must because you don't always want to use voice, and need to leave the physical switch in the on position.

Yeah, we only have two at my mother in laws house but they are working fine. Just added the second one last week actually. These are great in older homes for closets that only had pull chains when they were built. No more wandering half way into the large dark cedar closet upstairs waving your arms for the pull chain. Downstairs no more ugly pull chain over the washer/dryer as you walk into the entrance most used in the home. Great solution, may do her other walk in closet as well later.

Comment

julesme

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2016
San Jose
I really like the technology, but the Hue software is missing some obvious and basic features.

For example, the hub doesn't ping a bulb repeatedly to cue a routine. If there's a bad wireless connection at the very moment when the routine starts, the cue will fail. Then nothing happens and the hub won't try a second or third time.

Last edited:
Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I guess I’m just old fashioned when it comes to light switches...if you are too lazy to go flip a switch on and have to have it done from your smartphone...you have bigger issues

They are really nice for outdoor patio lights. You can set them on "dust till dawn" timers, so you don't have to manage them. I find them best outside or with lamps.

Comment

repoman016

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
Hope they fix it eventually for ya, but thats pretty piss poor on their end

Comment

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
50 dimmers, LOL! sure...not one issue, then you have never used a Phillips product...cmon no need for phillips hue employees to come here and troll😁 when the dimmers worked they are awesome, but now when you press a button they don’t trigger anything, all motion sensors crash homekit...all happened after their newest bridge update, that introduced adaptive lighting, did you update the bridge? if not please do

• Disagree
Reactions: Dekema2 and CarlJ
Comment

gpwdeux

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2015
What actually broke? I have 6 motion sensors, 4 dimmers, lost count of the lights, and everything works in Homekit like a charm. I also use Homebridge for other stuff so occasionally things will get out of whack, but usually just things moving back to the default room and it is most likely homebridge's and not home kit's fault.

Comment

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
50 dimmers, LOL! sure...not one issue, then you have never used a Phillips product...cmon no need for phillips hue employees to come here and troll😁 when the dimmers worked they are awesome, but now when you press a button they don’t trigger anything, all motion sensors crash homekit...all happened after their newest bridge update, that introduced adaptive lighting, did you update the bridge? if not please do

I should have specified, 50 lights and 12 dimmers. Yes, the bridge is updated. Have you tried holding (IIRC) all four buttons on the dimmer? It does a soft reset of the dimmer giving you issues.

Comment

CarlJ

macrumors 603
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Dammit marketing! We don’t need the name that prominent. Before, we had “On”, “(bright)”, “(dim)”, and “Off”. Looks like now we have “On/Off”, “(bright/dim)”, and “(change colors)” (unless you know that “Hue” means “turn off the lights”).

I don’t use my Hue Dimmer Switches as much now that I can say, “Hey Siri, set (scene)”, but when I do use them I frequently tap the on button multiple times to cycle through five different scenes I’ve set up. If they really make the top button be on/off-only, that’ll be annoying.

Reactions: mazz0
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.