Philips Pulls Defective 1.7.1 Hue App Update After Crashing Reports [Update: Fixed]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips released an update to its Philips Hue app for iOS yesterday afternoon and users quickly found that the new version of the app continually crashed, making it impossible for them to control their Hue lights.

As of this morning, Philips has removed the app from the App Store to prevent it from being downloaded, but thousands of Hue customers have already updated their iOS devices and have taken to the Philips Hue Facebook page to register their complaints.

Philips is aware of the issue and has said in a Facebook message posted six hours ago that the company is "taking immediate action to fix it" with an upcoming 1.7.3 app that will be available "shortly."
We are aware of an issue with the latest Philips hue app update when used with iOS 8.0 software. We're very sorry if you're having problems and are taking immediate action to fix it.

In the meantime, please do not update the Philips Hue app to 1.7.1., nor re-install the Hue app, or reset the Hue bridge.
Users who have installed the faulty 1.7.1 update can continue to control their Hue lights from wall switches, the Hue Tap, and from third-party apps. It's also possible to control lights from the MeetHue.com website. At this time, Philips has not given a new estimate for the launch of a fixed version of the app.

Update 9:25 PM PT: After several hours of error messages, the 1.7.3 Hue app update appears to be working for most users at this time. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Philips Pulls Defective 1.7.1 Hue App Update After Crashing Reports [Update: Fixed]

k1121j

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
New Hampshire
yes bummed i actually have to use a switch.. I've grown so attached to not using a switch or even turning on a light for that mater love these things

third party apps still work

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
The app is not yet in the App Store, at least in the UK, so I can't update. It is just amateur hour. Feeling like a Beta tester for a year now :confused:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
New Update appearing in App Store. Pressing update says app your trying to Buy no longer available.

Hue app on homescreen showing blue dot next to it to denote updated. Try opening app it closes.

TimelessOne

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2014
Ah the joys of Apple craptactulor review process is going to make getting an update take some time. Pull the app but can not get an update for a while as you are stuck waiting on review and then hope you get approved. Apple review process will reject you for an item that you got threw 10 times before and all of a sudden NOPE.

I would not be surprised if they had it fix with in hours. Android it would of already been done. The time between posting and it everyone able to get it is measured in hours. Apple as those same number of hours + their review time.

JoeBlazeX

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
My Wife has full control of the lights now since she refuses to do any 0 day updates. :mad: Today was the day I had to tell her she was right.

mbezzo

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2000
no, he's right. the new "fixed" 1.7.3 update is now showing in the app store as an available update, but it gives the "no longer available" error.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
My Wife has full control of the lights now since she refuses to do any 0 day updates. :mad: Today was the day I had to tell her she was right.
I like many users have auto update turned on. I expect the app developers to test the update on their iphones and not in a simulator. I don't think anyone from hue actually has and uses the hue lights.

dilute37

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2007
Grass Valley, CA
Damn...

Well that sucks. I literally just picked up my Hue Starter Kit from the Apple Store not twenty minutes ago. Been hanging back on pulling the trigger on the whole Hue thing. Hopefully this will be resolved by the time I get home from work.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
Well that sucks. I literally just picked up my Hue Starter Kit from the Apple Store not twenty minutes ago. Been hanging back on pulling the trigger on the whole Hue thing. Hopefully this will be resolved by the time I get home from work.

The new update is already out its been fixed

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
The new update is already out its been fixed
If you didn't read this thread, which is like 10 comments long, the app is not yet available in most app stores so although we can see the update we can't actually update.

----------

I like many users have auto update turned on. I expect the app developers to test the update on their iphones and not in a simulator. I don't think anyone from hue actually has and uses the hue lights.
I think you are right. I have basically been saying in another thread that their software quality control is bad because every other update messes something up (geofencing, alarms, introducing lag etc)

Last edited:

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
Ah the joys of Apple craptactulor review process is going to make getting an update take some time. Pull the app but can not get an update for a while as you are stuck waiting on review and then hope you get approved. Apple review process will reject you for an item that you got threw 10 times before and all of a sudden NOPE.

I would not be surprised if they had it fix with in hours. Android it would of already been done. The time between posting and it everyone able to get it is measured in hours. Apple as those same number of hours + their review time.
Its already fixed.

MattJessop

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Manchester, UK
This auto updated on me last night. I had to use the Hue Disco light this morning instead. I imagine it was how people ate breakfast back in the 80s.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Seems like the old problem of the television is stuck on a show you don't want to watch because no one wants to get up and change the channel and the remote was accidentally left sitting next to the television.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I have it. It works.
Your lucky. Twitter is filling again with people having the same problem as me. Update is there. App shows a blue circle to say it's uodated. Opening app it crashes. Going to App Store taping update says app your trying to buy is no longer available. Twitter confirms others have same problem.

Like this example

https://twitter.com/sloppydrive/status/563789484459044865

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Its already fixed.
No it's not. Both my iPad and my iPhone crash immediately and when yountry to hit the update button in the App Store it says the file is no longer available.

What could they have done to make it crash so consistently without them finding this beforehand? I have a pretty basic Hue setup... 5 bulbs, a Strip and two Taps... Even just trying to run the app 1 time before publishing it should have shown the problem...

Sucks too... I have my boss coming over to check out my lighting setup tonight (he's into home automation)...

Before this my Hue setup has bren rock solid...

mw360

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2010
No it's not. Both my iPad and my iPhone crash immediately and when yountry to hit the update button in the App Store it says the file is no longer available.
Sounds like an App Store problem. Something to do with caches perhaps, either at the server end on on the devices. I never installed 1.7.1 so maybe that's why I'm okay.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Sounds like an App Store problem. Something to do with caches perhaps, either at the server end on on the devices. I never installed 1.7.1 so maybe that's why I'm okay.
Right so every user who's iPhone or iPad auto updated can't now download the 1.7.3 update. And hue should have tested for this. Seems they didn't. Again

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This morning I could not launch the app before leaving home. I figured something went wrong but was in a hurry. Glad to see it was not me or the lights, but an app issue. Still this is not a good thing Mr Phillips. Need a fix pronto please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.