Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Philips Unveils Lightning Cable-Equipped Fidelio M2L Headphones

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently updated it Made for iPhone (MFi) program with a new set of specifications that allow for the transmission of audio through Apple's Lightning cable port instead of the traditional 3.5-mm headphone jack. As spotted by Pocket-Lint, one of the first manufacturers to produce this new category of Lightning cable-equipped headphones is Philips, which is preparing its Fidelio M2L headphones for launch later this year.

Pascal van Laer, headphones business leader, WOOX Innovations says: "We're excited to launch the Philips Fidelio M2L, our first headphone that has a direct digital connection to your iOS device. This means we can deliver an incredible audio experience today, and also opens up exciting opportunities for innovation for the future."
The Fidelio M2Ls connect to an iPhone or iPad via a Lightning port and will support 24-bit audio using an internal DAC and amplifier built into the headphone unit. The closed headphones also feature two 40-mm high magnetic intensity neodymium speaker drivers and leather memory foam ear pads.

The Philips Fidelio M2L headphones will be available starting in December. They will debut in Western Europe and North America with a suggested retail price of EUR250/$320.

Article Link: Philips Unveils Lightning Cable-Equipped Fidelio M2L Headphones

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008
Yep, cos I’m gonna buy a pair of headphones that I can only use with an iDevice……

Tio make things worse the weight is increased by the addition of the DAC and the amp in the headset.

I’ll take some Momentums if it’s all the same to you.

Dilster3k

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2014
Funny how we made such a big deal about Apple shaking up the audio business. And nothing happened yesterday.

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Will there be an adapter so you can actually charge your device at the same time?

AcesHigh87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2009
New Brunswick, Canada
$320 for headphones I can only use with my iPhone (and iPod I guess if I get technical since I do still own one)... no thanks.

I have to believe there’s an option for using a regular 35mm jack as well or else these are going to be a major flop.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Yep, cos I’m gonna buy a pair of headphones that I can only use with an iDevice……

Tio make things worse the weight is increased by the addition of the DAC and the amp in the headset.

No one's holding a gun to your head to buy these headphones. There are plenty of other options out there that you can choose from. Some people will buy these, and they have that choice.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
No one's holding a gun to your head to buy these headphones. There are plenty of other options out there that you can choose from. Some people will buy these, and they have that choice.

Careful, you're making sense by your implication that people have the choice to buy what works best for them. That's a dangerous attitude to have on MacRumours.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK

agreed, it would have to increase battery life to be worth it.

H2SO4

macrumors 601
Nov 4, 2008

Some people probably have more money than sense. Why on earth would anybody buy these that can’t be used on any non apple device? Such a sensible pick from the plenty of options out there that these will be a massive sales hit right?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
CA

Alternatively, a certified MFi external amp+DAC will run you $400-600. So it's not a clear cut bad deal.

I'm surprised that apple didn't introduce a pair of beats with a lightning cable yesterday

Me too. I figured that would be one of the first moves with Beats headphones.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Funny how we made such a big deal about Apple shaking up the audio business. And nothing happened yesterday.

It takes time man. They just acquired Beats and Beats Audio. They will have to work on bettering those crappy headphones, infuse iTunes into Beats Music and then do a special dedicated show for this. There was no way they would have time yesterday to include an audio segment big enough to matter. The show was already 90 minutes yesterday.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010

1) millions of people buy accessories that *only* work w/ their idevices all the time.

2) the idea of an adapter never crossed your mind, huh?

3) for enthusiasts interested in a DAC or amp, the weight of it is not their primary concern.

....imagine -- people with different needs than you! vhat a country!

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011
Will there be another way to get digital signal out of the iPhone/iPad? Line out signal at least like there was with the old 30 pin connectors?

enzo thecat

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2010
Midwest USA
Some people probably have more money than sense. Why on earth would anybody buy these that can’t be used on any non apple device? Such a sensible pick from the plenty of options out there that these will be a massive sales hit right?

I can't tell you the last time I plugged in headphones to a non ios device. I have a favorite set of headphones and I'd gladly get a lightening version if there were one.

e

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
Serious question -- what would be the benefit of using the lightning connection over the old fashioned audio jack? Is it better quality audio? I don't quite get the "why" from the article.

Thanks!

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
The problem is that the majority of people have no interest in the actual quality of the sounds that they listen to. CDs are compromised audio that then gets ripped into lossy MP3/ACC and then listened to on low quality DAC through crappy ear buds.

And most people are fine with that. It is like when Blu-Ray struggled to gain traction because DVD was "good enough" for most people.

Some people actually want to hear music with as much detail and clarity as possible. And without getting into the whole "you can't hear the difference anyway" argument, some people can afford nice things that have the highest quality possible. If that's not you, you don't have insult those who want and can have nice things.

CelestialToys

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2013
up above the streets and houses
Serious question -- what would be the benefit of using the lightning connection over the old fashioned audio jack? Is it better quality audio? I don't quite get the "why" from the article.

Thanks!

It sends the digital signal out to the headphones which do their own converting rather than using the iphones convertors, in theory it should be better quality.

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

Thanks!

The benefit is that you get the digital signal from the phone and then use the chip in the headphones to convert it to an analog signal. One would assume that the DAC chip is superior, or at least specifically tuned to interact with the headphones.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What about a normal connector also supporting optical?

Maybe such short cables could be made flexible enough?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.