Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Was using my iPhone 3G 16gb I got on contract, I paid £169 up front and £29 a month for 18 months total cost with contract £691, I can't remember how much data, minutes and texts I got with that package. I remember thinking that was a lot of money, back then dumb phones were not that expensive on contract and the iPhone was a much bigger expense than a flip phone, but it seems a good deal now, that was the large storage size too, you had the 8gb and the 16gb versions! So the equivalent of the XS max 512 ;)
Using at the moment the iphone 7 128gb.
I think it was unlimited data on O2 then. It seemed expensive at the time but whatever it was it was peanuts compared to what I'm paying for my max now. I remember I first picked 8GB and then changed my mind and cancelled and went for 16GB. They weren't able to cancel the delivery of the 8GB so it turned up on a Friday and I had to refuse it and then wait over the weekend until Monday when the 16GB arrived.

Reactions: tatsuki

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Samsung F480. Really liked it, the screen seemed so big back then! Remained by my side until the 3G S came out!

SSAMF4803A_l.jpg

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
It wasn't until way in later part of 2009, but the iPhone 3GS was my first iPhone/smartphone 10 years ago. I decided to jump into the iPhone bandwagon because Apple at that time just didn't want to put a camera on the iPod Touch (been using iPod Touch since the first gen).

So what did you use 10 years ago?

iPhone 3G. I bought an original iPhone on launch day 2007 (mostly on a lark - I wasn't planning on upgrading from my Nokia Symbian smartphone, but a friend was waiting in line, and I decided to visit him in line just before the doors opened. They said each person in line could buy two, so he asked if I wanted the second - I said sure. He bought two, I immediately bought one off him.) I upgraded to an iPhone 3G when it launched the next year, because the downgrade from 3G to EDGE was painful. Then sat on the 3G until upgrading to a 4S in 2011.

Note that a couple years ago, I even went back to using my original iPhone for a week. I had updated it/hacked it with the "Whited00r" firmware, which makes it a little more tolerable than the latest stock OS.

pdp1

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2018
In early 2009, I might have still been using a Palm Centro, but definitely by mid 2009 I was using the last flip phone I ever owned the Nokia 6650. Later that year I owned my very last Nokia, the 5800. 2010 was the first time I owned an iPhone and haven't had anything other than iPhones as my daily driver.

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
In 2009 I was still using one of these puppies:

motorola-krzr-k1m-white-full-1.jpg

I originally got it back in 2006 during my senior year in high school, and didn't get rid of it until 2011 (yes that long!) when I replaced it with an LG Cosmos Touch (another feature phone). Didn't actually get my first smartphone until 2014 when I got an iPhone 5c.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I was using the iPhone 3G and have been upgrading yearly since.
I remember going to grad school. I had an unlocked 2g iPhone and later an unlocked 3g iPhone on T-Mobile. I had usable edge data and paid less than $3 per month for internet.
[doublepost=1548307934][/doublepost]Btw I love this thread!
[doublepost=1548308096][/doublepost]
Sprint HTC Touch Pro. Windows 6.1 Pro, Sense UI 2.1 w/Weather.

Lots and lots of CAB file upgrades over the stock Sprint ROM. I had Facebook and YT integration. Basically, I was running the parts of more modern HTC phones on my TP.

attachment.php

Oh yeah. I could copy and paste in 2009 and send MMS (had a app that increased the MMS size to the server too). AT&T didn't allow any of that for the iPhone until later.
Omg copy and paste. I remember when that was a keynote feature lol

Reactions: eyoungren

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I had a an LG Vue (terrible feature phone), then a few months later switched to a Samsung Mythic (a slightly less terrible feature phone). 2010 would be the year I picked up my iPhone 3GS.

Now I have an iPhone XS Max.

Denaaaa

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
NYC
10 years ago you couldn’t pry the Sidekick out of my hands lol. I stayed with that phone up until the very end and had to choose between going with a Blackberry or iPhone. I went with the Blackberry lol. My first iPhone wasn’t until the 5, but I’ve had every number iPhone since.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
On this date in 2009, I still had the original iPhone, purchased on launch day. I upgraded to the 3GS as soon as that came out, and then downgraded to the Sony Ericsson 810i to save some money. I love how many people had SE phones. They really made great phones back then. I then went to a Windows Phone, Galaxy S3, then iPhone 5S, 6S, and X.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
This thread has inspired me to pull out my old 3G (which was my daily driver in 2009) and see if I can get it up and running again. It's been showing the empty battery screen for about 15 minutes now so not looking good...

rosyapple

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2018
iPhone 3GS was my first iPhone (and still is my current, second phone), even though I had used Macs and MacBooks for a while since before the original iPhone was released. My previous phones were Motorola StarTac and Nokia 3310 (the original ones).

startac_open.jpg
nokia3210.gif

My favorite game was Snake on the Nokia.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
10 years ago you couldn’t pry the Sidekick out of my hands lol. I stayed with that phone up until the very end and had to choose between going with a Blackberry or iPhone. I went with the Blackberry lol. My first iPhone wasn’t until the 5, but I’ve had every number iPhone since.

I loved the sidekicks when they were out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.