Phone Company Preference

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iScared, Jul 13, 2015.

1. iScared macrumors member

iScared

I know Telecommunications are ran by the Devil, at least according to the Bible and proven by Comcast. However, I wanted to see what your phone company preference is.

I dealt with Metropcs, which is essentially TMobile, and am biting the bullet and switching to Cricket, which is essentially AT&T since I used them for internet in the past.

I tried Verizon and after much frustration dropped them, and never dared touch Sprint.

I heard people actually like Verizon though I never saw why, but what do you think?

2. three macrumors 6502a

three

I've been with Sprint, T-Mobile, and now Cricket over the past few months. I moved everything over to one line on Cricket about a month ago, and have been very pleased with it so far. I'm very happy with the service of Cricket (AT&T based), the pricing, and their plans. I plan on sticking with Cricket for a good few years.

So yeah, although Cricket is a MVNO, I'm very happy with them and prefer them.

3. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

I've been with Sprint, AT&T, and ended with Verizon. Of the three that I personally have had, Verizon has the best coverage in my area. They also did much better when we traveled across the county then when we had Sprint.

4. iScared thread starter macrumors member

iScared

Cricket is owned by AT&T, so it doesn't matter whether it is a MVNO or not.

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I've never had a problem with Verizon. I get coverage where I need it and mobile data speeds are good. I don't deal with CS or billing as my phone is covered by my company.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

7. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

No problems with AT&T here. Been using them for years.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

I'm with O2 thanks. Been with them for years with no issues.

9. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I've been with Verizon for about 6 years now, have never had a major problem. And the couple times that I've had small billing issues I've had no problem getting through to CS and getting the issues resolved. Coverage is great from rural WI (where I used to live) to urban Phoenix, AZ (where I live now) and everyone in between. My only *issue* with them would be pricing for a plan with a decent amount of data, but they're plan pricing is comparable with their direct competitors so I can't really complain about them being "over priced".

10. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

AT&T is the devil. I am a long time customer, they don't care. All is well until you try to add a device:
    Rep 1: yes you can add an iPad, $10 to your existing unlimited plan. Never activated, called back...
    Rep 2: Yeah, the unlimited data is just for your phone, you need an additional data plan. Never activated, called back...
    Rep 3: you need a $10 monthly fee on top of your data plan. Nope went to T-Mobile.
    Not a single bit of data was sent to my iPad from AT&T.
    Fast forward a few months and my AT&T bill goes up $50...
    Rep 4: You have a iPad data plan, No I don't... I told them to cancel and it was never activated. Ok, but you will have to pay the ETF....

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I've been with AT&T for almost 20 years. Never an issue. If I were to switch carriers, I'd go to Verizon, but that's about it. No point in switching to some two-bit carrier like Sprint or TMobile. They always find a way to raise your rates. Plenty of people on TMobile forums complaining about billing problems.

The people that have billing issues with AT&T are the ones who don't know what they're doing.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

When I move back to the states I'm going to go with Ting

13. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

You are correct, I had no idea how much I wanted them to charge me.:rolleyes:

14. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

A simple search on their website goes a long way. Everything is laid out pretty clearly.

For example, in post #10, you said you had your iPhone unlimited data and wanted to add an iPad to your plan... You can't do that. Never have been able to do that. They either had a separate data bucket for the iPad or now, they swap the entire plan over to Mobile Share Value (you would lose unlimited on the iPhone) and add the tablet access fee. All of this is common sense and found on their website.

No need to blame them for your mistake of not checking the website before.

15. catzilla macrumors 6502

catzilla

No, it was the three separate calls and different answers and rates from them that was the problem.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Magic Jack for the house $1.30 a month or so and Sprint for cellular. When our current contract ends with Sprint (15 months), I'll be considering others.

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

AT&T since I've wanted to be able to use whatever phone I want and it's between them and Verizon for carriers that have coverage where I need it. At some point I might go to verizon since now that they have their LTE network up a lot of the limitations of CDMA are going away.

18. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

I've had AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile. I like T-Mobile as a company by far the best, especially with unlimited data. But the service was just too inconsistent for me. If I lived somewhere like NYC I would definitely go back to them, though. AT&T has been my best service, followed by Verizon, T-Mobile, and then Sprint.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Been with AT&T since back in the Cingular days. Recently switched to T-mobile 9 months ago, due to AT&T's throttling practices. Been more than happy with the service and pricing so far.

20. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Unfortunately, scumbag TMobile did an about-face and is throttling their unlimited plans too.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Yea, but that's nowhere close to what AT&T was doing. I think you have to hit above 20GB or be the top 3% a month(not sure) under an congested area. My average is 15-20GB a month. My May-Jun data was 20.05GB. So I should be good.

Not saying I agree with T-mobile's practice, but AT&T's firm practice of throttling after 5GB was absolutely ridiculous.

Anyway, I don't think the new practice is going to last.

22. Roller macrumors 68020

I currently have AT&T for wireless (4 lines) and U-verse (landline VOIP, TV, and Internet). The quality of service has been good, and their pricing is on par with other major carriers in my area. I manage everything online - that's gotten easier since they started to allow access to multiple accounts through one sign on. I've only had to call customer service rarely, and the issues have always been solved with some persistence on my part.

23. iScared thread starter macrumors member

iScared

A month and a half later, I went with Cricket...been happy with them so far. Way better coverage than MetroPCS (which rides on TMobile). Even though their company, AT&T, sucks the big one, I am still glad I did it.

24. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

When I got my first mobile phone I went with Sprint and stayed with them for about 8 years. The service worked well and we didn't have any problems. We made the switch to iPhones about 5 years ago after the iPhone 4 came out and in doing so we switched to At&t. I get a corporate discount with my employer and we have had a good experience with At&t so far. Living in DFW we have great coverage and partnering with family members we have been able to take advantage of a large mobile share plan and all save money.

25. leonardmchavok macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried Project Fi? I'm interested in getting rid of Verizon because it's $140 a month for my wife and I, which I find to be preposterous.