Phone condoms

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by PBz, Oct 26, 2012.

1. PBz macrumors 6502a

PBz

Seems any mention of damage comes with responses of screen protector, case, Otterbox, hide-phone-in-plastic-or-rubber, etc.

It's just feels so much better without all of that.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, unless you do it right, cases usually do more harm than good.

3. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

4. stonyboys macrumors 6502

Also the most expensive.

5. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

And the thinnest and lightest, almost like having no case at all.

6. anonjd macrumors member

The iPhone is pretty resilient. Unless you drop it while walking or on any floor without carpeting, it's really hard to scratch it.

I think a lot of issues, as far as scratches goes, can be solved by taking basic precautions.

Granted, there have been a few times I've dropped by iPhone because it's slipped out of my hands...

It really just depends on the person. Some like cases, other's don't. Most of my friends never use a case/bumper or screen protectors and they have zero scratches (I've checked their phones).

7. duneriderltr450 macrumors 6502

duneriderltr450

8. buddybd macrumors 6502

This is exactly why people get cases. Not everybody has the time to look after their phone all the time, accidents are bound to happen.

I'm a pretty careful person and I have yet to have a phone slip out of my hands, but just today I kept my phone (iP5) on the desk, and a bump on the desk sent the phone flying. It fell face first but no scratches thanks to the touch screen.

My worst one was when my phone (4S) fell out of my pocket when I was riding my bike, it fell on the road directly. The bumper has dents in three spots but not single scratch on the phone.

So yea, cases (at least bumpers) are needed for me at least. The original experience of the phone is great and all, but not at the risk of losing the phone entirely. I try and use bumpers only so that I can still feel most of the phone.

9. Johnnygogo macrumors member

I dropped my phone on concrete while tailgating. Got 2 scratches on the bezel. It's a phone I use it as such. My last phone was in my pocket for 3 years. Had missing buttons and couldn't see some numbers. In the end it's going to get replaced. I don't worry too much about pristine with it. But that's just me. If the resale value gets lowered I don't mind. I'll still pay 200 bucks for a new one in 2 years

10. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

But some of us buy an iPhone EVERY year... so keeping it nice is important.

11. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

. . . And people, such as myself, whom keep their devices for years (5+ years in my situation ) wish to maintain them in top condition.

12. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

13. Minhimalism macrumors 65816

Minhimalism

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: Thread has been cleaned up of off-topic personal jabs. Please refrain from such and stick to the topic of the thread.

B

15. saberahul macrumors 68040

Can't the title be changed? I am sure that is what is causing people to leave such comments…

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

MOD NOTE: I'll leave that up to the OP, as I think they intended the double entendre. FWIW, a question such as your post is best handled as a post report so as not to further drive the thread off topic. I'll leave it alone this time. If the thread can't stay on topic, it's bound to end up in Wasteland.

B

17. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Until you drop it and scratch/crack it. Then you ask yourself why you didn't put a case on it. At least that's what happened to me anyway..

18. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Tell that to my iPhone that now has 3 dents in it. even though I had skins wrapped all the way around the edges. Totally naked would have been worse I'm sure.

:(

19. anonjd macrumors member

The sides do scratch easily. The glass itself is resilient though.

I feel bad for you though, especially since you even had skins around the edges; had the same issue with my iPhone 4.

There's nothing worse than getting scratches/dents on a brand new phone. Just seems to take away from the entire experience.

20. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

I'd love to carry mine around sans condom, so to speak, but my work environment (and my size - even if I was 100% fit I'd still suffer from big bones) make it impractical.

21. Smigit macrumors regular

In the past I've normally used cases or in the case of my 4S, a bumper. This time I'm using a skin on the antenna (phantom skin) and protector front and back.

Certainly it won't help a lot in a drop, but it should help prevent the phone scratching up too much. I'll see how I go. I think I dropped the 4S maybe twice in 12 months and my previous two phones never got damaged from a drop either. As it is, my friend last Friday didn't realise I had anything on the phone when I showed it to him at first so I don't feel like I've overly compromised myself with this approach.

There is still good reasons to have a case. Also, Apple Care+ isn't available everywhere. Certainly it isn't here in Australia...although if I wanted it'd probably cost less to put it under my home contents policy anyway.

22. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

And the most time consuming in case of a fall. Loss of non backupup data, spending some time without a Phone until you replace and restore, etc.

23. sixxmum macrumors 6502a

sixxmum

It's all choice, and no point in worrying about the choices of others, eh?

24. AJAAY macrumors regular

Same thing can happen in a case.