Phone number iMessage old iPhone setup

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Rmafive, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I recently upgraded to an iPhone 6 and I still would like to keep using my iPhone 5 as an iPod touch. I saw the guide on Apple's site for using the phone as an iPod touch, but it doesn't explain how to use the phone number with iMessage. I have not done anything to the phone since it was deactivated and the number is now greyed out in the iMessage settings screen. I would like to use the number for messages like I do on my iPad. Does anyone know if this is possible? Would I have to wipe the phone to achieve this or is there no way to use iMessage the way I use it on the iPad?

2. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

If you are logged in with the same apple ID on both phones, the inactive phone should get iMessages sent to the active phone. Obviously it won't get the text messages (non-imessages). Try it out and send yourself a message.

3. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. The issue is that I am not getting any iMessages via the number (which is associated with my apple id) on the old phone. I can get them on all of my other devices (iPads, etc.) and the number isn't grayed out on them. Is this an issue since I am attempting to get the messages on a phone instead of an iPad? Maybe the sim card in the old iPhone is causing some confusion.

4. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Maybe you should backup and wipe the old phone and restore from backup, with the SIM card from your new phone inserted. This will associate the phone number in the SIM card with the old device. Once it's setup, remove the SIM card and put it back in your new phone. iMessage is very tricky to figure out. Give it a try.

5. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

dont listen to the guy above me.

all you need to do is activate iMessages on your old phone, wait till it activates
    and go to send & receive

make sure your email and number is check for receiving and check Start new Convos from your number

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Don't listen to the guy above me, he has no idea what he's talking about.

7. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Don't listen to the guy above me....

or ME for that matter. :cool:

But just sign into iMessage and it should work.

8. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

You're making this guy waste hours for something simple.

So you're knowingly making this guy waste time?

You sound like a great guy.

9. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

How are you so sure that the OP doesn't have iMessage turned on on the old phone? It's pretty obvious that he does, since he sees his list of send/receive addresses. So maybe your simple solution won't work. Maybe he'll need to try one of the methods I described. And I'm pretty sure he won't waste hours doing so. The only time wasted is mine reading and responding to your post.

10. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

You seem to say a lot of something you have no knowledge of. It doesn't matter if he does.

I keep all my old phones because i use it overseas when its unlocked. you dont have to ANYTHING that you mentioned right now.

i have iMessage on both my old phones, my current, iPad, iTouch. You just need to turn it on and off till it works and test if you get messages on all devices. The one with the sim card is somewhat of the "master" one, in a sense.

If he restores that phone he can wind up with the same problem, your solution is obsolete and irrelevant.

your just making him do a whole work around for nothing. Back up and restore? LOL dude, your making him waste time for nothing.

How are you going to go against some one that handled this problem first hand? you obviously have no idea what you're talking about.

11. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

My solution is neither obsolete nor irrelevant. I suggest you consult a dictionary the next time you want to use a word whose meaning you don't know.

12. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

it is, your making him doing unnecessary things.

Whats your problem with telling people irrelevant tasks, when i have the solution. Tested first hand.

Its like saying, turn on the sink and flush to toilet to turn on a stove.

because thats exactly what your saying. Your completely wrong, your making the OP and others waste time.

So shouldn't you be reported? You're just deliberately toying with people.

Is it that hard to admit that you're wrong? You're the type that'll keep driving off a cliff after someone points it out.

13. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Yes, you've figured me out. Way to go, genius.

14. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

Just curious if the TC was able to get it to work? And if so, which method did he use?

From personal experience, yeah no need to do anything but toggle iMessage on the second device. If it works, you'll get message on primary device that new device has been added.

15. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

Like i said theres no reason to restore or back up your phone to activate iMessage to your old phone.

Exact same analogy as flushing a toilet and turning on the faucet to turn on a stove.

So what are you trying to get at? The fact that you refuse to admit your wrong?

Just take the L bro.

16. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

OP, you have an Apple ID, right? Your Apple ID is what allows you to utilize iMessage across different mobile and mac platforms. Like stated above, sign into iCloud with your Apple ID and make sure that you have enabled iMessage. It should work fine.

Your old phone will NOT work with the phone # as the # has been disabled on that phone and transferred to the new. That's why it will take your Apple ID to stay synced with iCloud/iMessage.

17. Rmafive thread starter macrumors 6502

I tried restoring the phone and now it doesn't even show the phone number as an option (even when logged in with iMessage, which works on my iPads with my number). It must have something to do with it being an old iPhone.