phone or tabet reading

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Tech198, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Tech198 macrumors G4

Do you prefer reading on a 5.5-inch phone of tablet?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The phone. Use very little margins, very little line spacing, and not too small/not too big serif font, and it's fine. Have been reading like that both on the 5S and the 6S Plus.

3. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I've noticed for casual reading that's not news related like a romance novel, paper is always better. If I'm reading it on the phone I won't get that same relaxing feeling.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed completely.

For anything serious, I prefer paper. Indeed, even for novels, I prefer paper.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use a tablet, specifically a Kindle. I find the Kindle paperwhite to be superior for my reading over an iPad.

6. RedOrchestra Suspended

The new 9.7" iPad Pro, with True Tone, has completely replaced any desire to return to physical books. My new library for the past 5 years, is on my iPad, my old library collects dust.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I read on both but I much prefer my kindle paperwhite (e-reader).

8. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I started reading iBooks on my iPad. Outstanding visual quality, no complaints except for the weight. One day at the auto dealer for some car maintenance, I started reading a book on my iPhone 5. Due to the much lesser weight, one hand required I was sold immediately on pleasure reading with my phone. :)

9. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

If you read a lot of e-books, I recommend getting a Kindle Paperwhite. It is very light and the display is the best for reading in all conditions (darkness -> direct sunlight).

10. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

A good suggestion, my wife uses one, along with her iPad and iPhone, but for myself, one less device to keep track of. Most of my reading is not out in the sun so I'm good.

12. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Another vote for the kindle pw. The iPad for serious textbooks and PDFs due to real estate and ability to export highlighted text.

13. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

It would depend on the amount of content I'm reading. For emails and messages, I prefer my iPhone 6s. For books, I prefer my Kindle Paperwhite. For news articles and websites, my iPad Pro. I suppose that suggests that time is also a factor; I read books for hours at a time and the iPad Pro becomes uncomfortable in that span of time, but that is not the case with the Kindle Paperwhite.

14. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Contrast on my phone is better than my Kindle. Much better. But I like the aspect ratio on the Kindle better.

15. frankgrimes macrumors 6502a

frankgrimes

Real paper if it's not mails or messages
    Call me crazy but I need to to actually feel the pages and smell them there is something about real books that can't be replaced by screens

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

I prefer real paper books.

But electronically speaking I prefer the old school Kindles. Excellent battery life, ability to use in direct sunlight, and less eye strain.

17. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I read exclusively on my iPad. I pout when something isn't available in the iBooks store.

Reading on the phone is ok, but to make the font large enough to see, I'm turning pages a LOT.