Phone stolen, simple question...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by asb396, Oct 30, 2009.

1. asb396 macrumors member

So last night my phone was stolen at the justice concert in NYC, webster hall sucks as always... Anyways it was taken out of my pocket so I called Apple and they asked me for my imei, which i got from att, and they told me I would receive an email if someone re-registers my phone under their name. Has anyone had any experience with this process? Are they really trying? Any help is much appreciate.
    BTW 32gb 3gs, i miss all my music

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I've never heard of Apple or AT&T doing anything to help in the case of a stolen phone. I strongly believe there's a lot they could be doing but choose not to. I know that if I had my phone stolen, I would pay what was necessary to get another.

I will eat my words if they come through for you.

3. HitchHykr macrumors 6502a

HitchHykr

Have you tried the "Find My Phone" feature in MobilMe?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Do you have MobileMe? If so, use Find My iPhone feature.

5. asb396 thread starter macrumors member

dont have mobileme and the dude took out the sim card. i agree with the first poster but i still tried to cover all bases with att and apple. thanks

6. gemz1000 macrumors newbie

gemz1000

Too bad you don't have MobileMe, you could track it and find it.

That's what I did when I lost it. :eek:

7. efice32 macrumors 6502

This doesn't really help you but as a side-note, I think MobileMe is completely worth it's price if you have a mac and an iPhone. This exact purpose being a main reason, plus keeping all of your contacts and calendars in sync between your computer and your phone makes everything so easy and painless. Anyone on the fence about MobileMe, I say go for it if you have the financial means.

8. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

I was thinking about it, but I wasn't sure about getting it. I was kind of confused on what it was, I just have a 3GS. Would it work fine on my PC vista?

9. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Sorry for your loss. :( Anyway, AT&T would be able to prevent your SIM from being used but I doubt you'll be able to get back your phone.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I really don't understand why Apple can't match the numbers against a database, and when a phone is reactivated it can be flagged somehow. Mobile device theft seems to be more and more common, and as the complexity/value (product + information) increases, you'd think that companies would have figured out a way to better track devices. LoJack for iPhone, anyone?

11. asb396 thread starter macrumors member

I mean im not an idiot, it was pretty obvious that they arent really going to help, but they tried to make it seem as though they can help. The att guy said that fraud dept would contact me if my imei is activated on any cell phone carrier, and the apple guy said they would contact me as soon as the phone is connected to a computer. It seems really simple for them to do that, but Im pretty sure they were just trying to appease me in order to seem like the good guys.
    The problem is apple said I would receive an email with the person's address and phone number, they dont know who I am, I could be angry enough to go beat this guys ass, which I am due to the principle of the matter. I think this is absurd.

12. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's DEFINITELY BS. They could get in a lot of trouble for doing that, whether the phone is stolen or not.

13. Namek macrumors newbie

My friend bought a stolen iPod touch from a former Apple employee. He had the iPod for a couple of months now. The Sheriff drove to his house asking for him.... he was working at the time, so the Sheriff left his business card.
    To make a long story short, the officer is asking for the iPod touch back and said it was stolen and that he wasn't in trouble or anything. They're suppose to meet up soon.

14. lollicup macrumors regular

You guys need to get off your high horses

what other company helps you track down a lost electronic

NONE

Sure apple can do this, but it costs money+time+workforce in order to inforce that

Apple is a business, not some quasi community/policeforce you people think they should be

Sorry for you loss OP, next time be more careful/have mobileme

15. asb396 thread starter macrumors member

I was trying to remain neutral and came into this conversation with the preconceived notion that apple and att will not help, I just wanted to hear input, but now I must add something. For all of you who keep saying, why should apple help, what reason do they have? Its all about customer loyalty. If there is something that I have learned it is that companies with great customer service always succeed... take amex for example, why are they doing so well? It universally true and there have been plenty of studies done that indicate this. Thats why they should help. If my car is stolen the people who make the gps system will track it down, not because they have to but because they know I paid good money for their product and they will help me out. Stop thinking about the bottom line, business these days is about corporate responsibility and conscience. Why are all these companies going green, not because they care but because they care that we care.

16. JohnnyF, Nov 13, 2009
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

JohnnyF macrumors newbie

Sorry for your loss. :-(

My iPhone got stolen from a coffee shop, like an idiot I left it on the table for a second, got some sugar, when I came back it was gone.

I found this website to report stolen iPhone here, hopefully it helps:
    http://www.stolenlostfound.org/report-stolen-iPhone.php

This time around I'm using MobileMe too.
    I really doubt Apple or AT&T will do anything about theft recovery, they are in the business to sell, not to recover stolen iPhones.