Phone subsidy continues when contract ends?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pjny, Sep 11, 2015.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I've always bought a new phone when my 2-year contract ends. This year, the phones are a little more than I am willing to spend.

My question is: once phone is paid off... what is the portion of the your bill that you pay that is part of monthly bill? Is it best to upgrade your phone under ATT so you aren't paying subsidy for a phone that is already paid off?

I was going to check but ATT site is down?

I pay $80 a month to ATT for unlimited plan, 200 text messages and data.

2. ultravisitor macrumors 6502

ultravisitor

You won't find that information on any of the carriers' sites. Generally, though, it's believed that the subsidy is somewhere around $20-25 of each month's bill.

Yes, it is best to upgrade as soon as your contract is over or else you will continue to pay a subsidy without the benefit of having a new phone.

3. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

The subsidy itself is $450 which you get by subtracting the full price of the entry level phone $650 from the 2 year contract price $200. $450/24months = $18.75 a month

4. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have ordered a 6s+ and paid full price. Is there any way to lower my monthly bill if the phone is paid in full?

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Depending on your carrier and your plan you might get a discount for having an owned phone.

6. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I have asked the same question in another thread. If I understand correctly, those of us with the older talk/text plans with the unlimited data won't receive a discount. We would have to switch to the newer plans (mobile share) to get discount.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You would have to switch to one of their newer plans and give up unlimited data. The old 2 year contract plans don't drop even if you don't use the subsidy.

8. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am on unlimited ATT plan paying $80 a month. What is the best strategy of getting a discount from them?

9. Kendo macrumors 68000

The one thing to note is that even without a subsidy, those with a grandfathered unlimited plan is still a better deal than your regular plan with discount.

Meaning my $80 unlimited data and text plan is still better than today's plans, even if I never upgraded my phone and continued paying the subsidized price. The fact that I get a $200 iPhone is MAJOR icing on the cake.

10. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would you advise cancelling my Apple order and ordering through ATT with a 2-year contract? I would save about $18 a month.

11. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is $80 a month(includes discount of I think 6%) for unlimited, 400min, 200text a good deal compared to regular plan with discount?

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes if they will let you use the subsidy do that you are paying for it whether you use it or not so you might as well save the money. The only reasons not to cancel are if it is worth the extra money to you to have the phone earlier as it is likely that the AT&T order will be a much later delivered or if you need an unlocked phone.

13. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

How much data do you actually use? There are cheaper plans out there and there are more expensive ones it all depends on how much data you need.

14. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

I pay $188-190 for 5 lines (I stagger the upgrades). I'm debating changing up my method of upgrading but the more I look, just not sure I'll get a better deal or save doing it another way :)

15. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have a nearly identical plan to yours and it is an excellent deal. No current plan on AT&T or Verizon even comes close. You should keep it.

I ordered my iPhone on the AT&T website and got the subsidy. It will probably be delivered 3 or 4 weeks later than iPhones ordered off Apple's site but its worth it as I got a $400 discount off my device that people who go on the various payment plans don't get. It will likely be the last year to take advantage of it.

16. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

It's alright. I pay $64/mo for unlimited data, unlimited text, and 450 minutes on Verizon.

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Might be your better plan of action since you won't get a discount on your old unlimited plan.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

If you use a lot of data you are probably better off sticking with that one. The Closest Next plan is 5GB for $75, which winds up being more expensive during the installment period since you only get a $15 discount (or $360 over 2 years) in exchange for giving up the $450 subsidy.

19. KPOM macrumors G5

Pre-discount that's comparable to my plan. See if you can get a bigger discount from your employer, or even an association such as AAA if you are a member. If you need more minutes or texts, call Retentions and ask if give you more rollover minutes or put you on the unlimited text and Mobile to Mobile plan ($10 vs the $5 you are paying for 200 texts).

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Having a FAN # on your account that gives you a discount is one easy way. Usually companies have them.