Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

UK retailer Phones4U confirmed today in a public statement that it is canceling all iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus pre-orders as the company enters administration, reports Huffington Post UK via Engadget. Administration allows a company to address its creditors as it attempts to rescue its business operations. Phones4U was forced to make this decision after UK mobile phone operators Vodafone and EE failed to renew their contracts with the retailer.

phones4u-close.jpg
Phones4U has shut down its online store and closed its retail store operations as part of this administration process. The retailer is no longer accepting any new orders and canceling any existing orders that have not been shipped, including those for the new iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus. All payments for these canceled orders will be refunded to customers.
"Any orders that have not already been dispatched will be cancelled and any payments refunded to customers. Phones 4u apologise for any inconvenience."
Customers can still preorder an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus from Apple UK, but will face longer wait times as the delivery window for the two phones has slipped into October due to record-breaking demand. Customers also can wait in line and purchase a new iPhone 6 or 6 Plus when the handsets go on sale in retail stores starting Friday, September 19.

Article Link: Phones4U Cancels All iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Pre-orders as UK Retailer Faces Closure

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
It's sad that people are losing their jobs obviously, but this isn't shocking. Who goes to a store like Phones4u or the Carphone warehouse when all of the networks have their own chains and online stores?

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
It's sad that people are losing their jobs obviously, but this isn't shocking. Who goes to a store like Phones4u or the Carphone warehouse when all of the networks have their own chains and online stores?

People who want to buy devices that are unencumbered by carriers' modifications (i.e. unlocked and as designed by the manufacturer).
I would never buy a device from a network's store as I like to keep my service contract and device purchase separate but I guess it's not a big enough market to keep companies like this afloat

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK

Who goes to one of those chains/online stores if they can avoid it? Packed with the least pleasant people and a combination of lies and pressure tactics to ensure you buy the phone with the highest level of commission.

I’ve bought every iPhone since the 4 at an Apple Store, EU law means you get 2 years of Genius Bar warranty coverage in the UK, and there is no sales pressure to sell you a Galaxy S3 Mini and a tablet and home broadband and insurance and a case…

People who want to buy devices that are unencumbered by carriers' modifications (i.e. unlocked and as designed by the manufacturer).

If I remember correctly, Phones 4 U and Carphone Warehouse sold the phones locked and with carrier modifications. They were simply a one stop shop to buy from any network.

CCCowley

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
I would never buy a device from a network's store as I like to keep my service contract and device purchase separate but I guess it's not a big enough market to keep companies like this afloat

It looked like the market was (still is) there they were still operating with £100m profit. They didn't go down due to lack of demand but lack of supply. Whether it was their fault the contracts didn't go through is yet to be seen.

Fortunately for the employees it looks like Carphone Warehouse is looking to snap a large amount of them up.

richard.torble

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2010
I also feel bad for people losing their jobs but the reality is there is no need for these kinds of retailers anymore. As was mentioned on the BBC this morning, consumers are no longer scared of smartphone tech and those that are would rather ask a friend/family member for help than pay for travel, parking etc to go to a store and risk being lied to, pressured or made to feel stupid.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
If I remember correctly, Phones 4 U and Carphone Warehouse sold the phones locked and with carrier modifications. They were simply a one stop shop to buy from any network.

I've bought sim free, network free phones from both CPW and Phones 4 U and they definitely didn't have any carrier modifications on them

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I think phones4u wanted more phones4themselves
:rolleyes:
Thank you for injecting perspective in the discussion!
Exactly. It is never great to see people lose their jobs but when they have to compete with carriers it is sadly inevitable now. Many of these companies in the US are the old pager distributors. At that time the middle man was necessary as far as I recall.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I also feel bad for people losing their jobs but the reality is there is no need for these kinds of retailers anymore. As was mentioned on the BBC this morning, consumers are no longer scared of smartphone tech and those that are would rather ask a friend/family member for help than pay for travel, parking etc to go to a store and risk being lied to, pressured or made to feel stupid.

Tell that to my parents... I got a garbled message yesterday from my Dad after he had been sold an iPhone he didn't want from "a shop", when it turns out it's a Nokia Lumia... And yes, I've told him time and time again to not go without either me going with them or us looking together online first...

Looking at the pre-order thread, I may just go and order mine from Apple and wait in the queue for it to turn up in a month and be done with the hassle!

tinythomas77

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2014
Halifax, UK
Phones 4 U

I was one of the people who went to Phones 4 U to order an unlocked iPhone 6 Plus. This was because they had stock for delivery 19th September, unlike Apple (because of website issues at launch)

Phones 4 U have traded for a long time and are a profitable business, I believe £100 million profit last year. However the greedy phone carriers, O2, Vodafone and EE have all refused to renew their sales contracts with Phones 4 U. This has left them without any contracts to sell. This is a typical story of the big fish wanting to protect their profit margins and sell direct through their own branch network.

I have had my money refunded and have ordered a iPhone 6 Plus through Carphone Warehouse, for delivery 19th September.

Unfortunately the big players wanted to squeeze the companies giving independent sales advice. However, rumours in the City have said that EE may want to buy the business, which is ironic as they were the last company not to renew their sales contract with them!

When I spoke with Phones 4 U they were nothing but helpful and apologised for the issues. So we really should be looking at the likes of Vodafone etc for causing this.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

I was never a fan of Phones 4U after being conned by them a few years ago. Still sad for the the people who have lost their jobs, especially at this time of the year.

The Carphone Warehouse still has contracts with all the major networks (excluding Three), and these are still going strong. EE and Vodafone both stated that they want to strengthen their relationship with CPW.

Don't the CPW also operate Samsung branded stores across the UK?

----------

I was one of the people who went to Phones 4 U to order an unlocked iPhone 6 Plus. This was because they had stock for delivery 19th September, unlike Apple (because of website issues at launch)

Phones 4 U have traded for a long time and are a profitable business, I believe £100 million profit last year. However the greedy phone carriers, O2, Vodafone and EE have all refused to renew their sales contracts with Phones 4 U. This has left them without any contracts to sell. This is a typical story of the big fish wanting to protect their profit margins and sell direct through their own branch network.

I have had my money refunded and have ordered a iPhone 6 Plus through Carphone Warehouse, for delivery 19th September.

Unfortunately the big players wanted to squeeze the companies giving independent sales advice. However, rumours in the City have said that EE may want to buy the business, which is ironic as they were the last company not to renew their sales contract with them!

When I spoke with Phones 4 U they were nothing but helpful and apologised for the issues. So we really should be looking at the likes of Vodafone etc for causing this.

No doubt EE will want to buy them for the store portfolio, sell off any duplicate stores, and rebrand the rest to EE.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Who goes to one of those chains/online stores if they can avoid it? Packed with the least pleasant people and a combination of lies and pressure tactics to ensure you buy the phone with the highest level of commission.

You REALLY feel "pressured" by the "tactics" of an online store? What's applying the pressure? Too many colors? An overly large shopping cart icon? :roll eyes:

As for a retail setting, lordy. It's not that hard to say "no." If you already know what you want, it's particularly easy, so if someone else sways you that easily, the culprit is in the mirror. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.