Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

etaf

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Surrey, UK
Photo App on OS X Sierra & 6x4 printing to Canon TS8052

I have setup a crop to be 3x2 and then set
colour
6x4 borderless printing
then got to print
and setup - 6x4 paper , colour, best quality , rear tray

however the printer then says a paper mismatch - it says 6x4 , super glossy II
which i say is loaded
and the it prints borderless
BUT
the image is slighty cropped and not as seen on screen

if i print with a boarder the crop is perfect

any ideas suggestions

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
How much crop??

ALL printers will crop slightly when printing borderless. They must spill a small amount of the image off the edge of the print to insure that the print is borderless. The page can't be aligned with enough precision to do it any other way.

This has been the case with all borderless printing whether desktop digital printing, classic film printing, and with ink-on-paper and toner-on-paper printing presses. There must always be a small amount of "bleed".

The only way to get 100% of the image's pixels on a print is to have borders. You should also be aware that a 4x6 sheet of paper can't print a 2:3 aspect ratio image with uniform borders. The border widths will need to be somewhat non-uniform so that the printing area is 2:3 aspect.

etaf

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Surrey, UK
thanks
I'm sure I managed to do it with a windows PC a photoshop - but it was some years ago - when i was doing a lot of printing
So thanks for the info
if I setup 3x2 and crop
then its not going to work
therefore i guess I need to experiment with a custom size that does work to print OK

thanks for the speedy response
i guess I will have to play with a custom size somehow - issue will be different images crops and cameras

mmmmmmmm food for thought

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
thanks
I'm sure I managed to do it with a windows PC a photoshop - but it was some years ago - when i was doing a lot of printing

There was certainly some crop on those old Win/Ps prints as well, though there may have been less loss. The amount of "bleed" will vary from printer to printer and from print driver to print driver. There has to be a balance between having a lot of bleed, and thus reliably achieving borderless results, or very little crop and having the occasional white line on one edge when the paper feeds a bit too much to one side or the other.

etaf

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 24, 2008
Surrey, UK
thanks for replies
thinking about it, there was a bleed but very very small
i guess first time on photos and this crop bleed is a lot and very noticeable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.