Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hleewell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
In portrait orientation, the soon-to-be-added FaceTime webcam will be at a nice height to capture a person's face. I can imagine having the iPad docked on my desktop like a large touchscreen phone, while doing internet surfing & photoshopping on my MacBook 13" or iMac. As for the movie watching, yes, it would be nice to have it docked in landscape mode but the iPad is an ultra-portable, internet blogging/social network device. An iMac with its beautiful large 22" screen is more suitable for movie-watching. The only few things I would like on the next iPad model is:

-Lighter weight: This may not be possible in 9.7" model as the heaviest part of the device is the LCD glass, and can you improve the battery size? Here comes 7"iPad. Would it kill Apple to try a matte display design which doesn't use glass? Or the battery is the heaviest part of the device?

-SD card slot: I have always dreamed of having a sleek, ultra-portable tablet to preview my photos while taking photos during travel, especially when hiking in the wild. The extra SD card adapter is just another small thingie to carry, and to lose. Before iPad, there is Epson Media Viewer, but that has small-ish screen, bulky, and ... not as sexy :)

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
The reason for the side dock connector is so that you can plug it into the keyboard dock and type in landscape mode.

The keyboard dock isn't nearly as useful in portrait mode. I ended up buying a bluetooth keyboard for this reason. (I do a lot of typing on my iPad.) Ironically, after buying the bluetooth keyboard I found that I liked typing on the glass better... So the whole landscape mode dock thing became a moot point.

I bet Apple discovered the same, and that's why they abandoned this two port style design.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The only upside to this is that the iPad could charge when being used with the VGA cable or the Camera Connection Kit.

I'd prefer Apple invent a better cable. This appears to be an amateurish design. I'd rather see an HDMI or micro USB port. Combined with those new magsafe patents for iOS devices.

BlakeLiebenTH

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2010
Nano and Shuffle ports are off center. Doesn't make sense on iPad, though. Probably just bad photoshopping.

Of course they are. The port on the Nano has been pushed aside to make room for the headphone jack, and the port on the Shuffle IS the headphone jack, which is placed on the side as per usual. On the iPad this just isn't necessary, and I imagine having the port off-centre wouldn't work too well in a dock.

Sorry, I don't mean to start an argument, just trying to be specific :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.