Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
EricChunky said:
people stop hating the world.

Some of us don't hate the world...just the world's lousy products that so richly deserve to be rediculed :D

i love umpc... coz i'm student who needs to take notes in class...

As a former student (I graduated), I'd recommend that you apply the basic principles of the "Product Diffusion Curve" to see which group you should be in (vs. being an 'Early Adopter'), if for no other reason that your education is what's your priority right now...and based on your poor diction, you really need to focus on that right now.

In other words, instead of the latest expensive (MSRP $1200) gimmick, just use an old-fashioned pen and notebook ($9). You've already illustrated that you can't afford the risk of such a toy to be a distraction. For tools that might provide productivity gains, you need to wait until after you're on your own and actually earning your own paycheck with which to make "beer or food" types of decisions, or until you have an employer who will buy them for you.

and im also a pt fotographer that need a device wif basic foto storage/display/editing + GPS abilities...

I' do photographer too...and no you don't need this widget to be able to take & retain good photo's.

At best, you will need a digital wallet if you're doing photo trips whose duration exceeds the amount of flash memory you should carry...although the $1200 MSRP for a UMPC would buy a heck of a lot of flash media at today's prices: since my dSLR likes fast cards, I'd spend it to pick up three (3) 4GB 80x speed CF cards= 12GB total (instead of 20GB worth of slow cards).

And since the Samsung UMPC has only a 900 MHz Intel Celeron M processor and 512 MB of RAM, trying to use this type of device for anything more than as a digital wallet is IMO downright foolish. For a digital wallet, consider the Epson P2000 or the Hyperdrive HD80: at this price point, you can buy triple redundency.

Similarly, if you really need GPS, you need something with a lot better than 3 hours battery life. For how & where we locally use GPS, a device with such a horribly short life is worse than not having it at all, because it will tempt is user to go out in the woods and get lost, which can be fatal.

3 hrs batt life might be short.. but hell why not carry more batts coz they aint gonna be that big as ur god darned 17" powerbooks...

Because carrying a crate full of extra widgets completely defeats the design objective of being small, light and convenient. Perhaps another way for you to look at this is as follows...

From your UMPC, is it worth an extra ~2.5lbs if it adds:

- 2x battery life
- 2x CPU performance
- 2x larger hard drive
- 2x to 3x larger display
- integrated protection for the LCD display
- full size keyboard
- built-in CD-R/W & DVD burner (8x speed)

...and still with it all integrated into a single package?

*Yes, that's a 12"PB, trollboy.*

-hh

techster82

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
It's hillarious listening to you guys try to bash Microsoft for anything they do. They could come out with an unbelievable new product that solved all of a mobile user's needs and the majority of Apple user's would try to bash it. So Microsoft beat Apple to the punch on something and you guys are upset, get over it!!!! This product would work great for a person on the go, at school, on trips anywhere you don't want to lug a full size notebook. Will it sell? Sure it will because Microsoft owns the computer market. People will buy it because its the newest thing out, or they like its features. Instead of spending countless hours trying to bash it, just grow up and let it go.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
techster82 said:
It's hillarious listening to you guys try to bash Microsoft for anything they do. They could come out with an unbelievable new product that solved all of a mobile user's needs and the majority of Apple user's would try to bash it. So Microsoft beat Apple to the punch on something and you guys are upset, get over it!!!! This product would work great for a person on the go, at school, on trips anywhere you don't want to lug a full size notebook. Will it sell? Sure it will because Microsoft owns the computer market. People will buy it because its the newest thing out, or they like its features. Instead of spending countless hours trying to bash it, just grow up and let it go.

heh, sure sounds like it around here. no one seems to mention the flop that was the messagepad (erroneously called the "newton")

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
techster82 said:
It's hillarious listening to you guys try to bash Microsoft for anything they do.

Its even more hillarious to hear the squeaks of each fresh batch of Microsoft FanBoi trolls who have just joined within the past week who think that they're not so amazingly transparent in their motives. But I digress.

They could come out with an unbelievable new product that solved all of a mobile user's needs...

They could, and if they did, I'd give them praise for it.

You see, I'm a personal & professional "mobile user". For work, I carry an IBM T41p, a Blackberry 7100 and a Palm T3 on a nearly daily basis.

For personal travel/mobility, I have a 12" PB, a Motorola StarTak (an older cellphone that retains analog band), a Palm m515, plus two Hyperdrive HD80 digital wallets for photography.

Not counting previous laptops, phones or PDA's, my current business-side investment is around $3500, and my personal-side around $2500. There's also my wife's iPod, for which we each have a set of Noise Cancellation headphones (Plane Quiet NC6) which I generally don't borrow for work unless I'm going on an international flight.

So Microsoft beat Apple to the punch on something and you guys are upset, get over it!!!! This product would work great for a person on the go, at school, on trips anywhere you don't want to lug a full size notebook.

Continuing the above, my summary is that I've been carrying some sort of mobile device for at least a decade (I've not been counting), and probably am averaging around 100 days on the road per year right now. As such, I have a very clear understanding of what works and what doesn't work.

FWIW, the USB on my 12" PB does a very poor job recharging my Blackberry...not sure why

The bottom line on what works/doesn't is that a device either has to be small enough to fit in a pocket or on your belt so that it is instantly convenient, or else its going to be in your briefcase or messenger bag. This usage pattern is pretty much non-negotiable: we only have two arms.

And if it is stowed away, at that point, it may as well be full-featured. Its also easier to carry out-of-hand items, so they can also afford to be slightly heavier.

it is plain to see that the Origami doesn't fit these usage patterns. Neither did the Newton. Draw your own conclusions.

Will it sell? Sure it will because Microsoft owns the computer market. People will buy it because its the newest thing out, or they like its features.

True, and there's still some diehard Newton owners too.

Bottom Line:

We will always find some people who buy based on "Technology Push" initiatives such as the Origami. However, the products that are ultimately successful in the marketplace are those that meet real peoples' needs. This is known as a "Requirements Pull".

-hh

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
techster82 said:
They could come out with an unbelievable new product that solved all of a mobile user's needs ...
They could. Unfortunately, they didn't.
techster82 said:
This product would work great for a person on the go, at school, on trips anywhere you don't want to lug a full size notebook.
Been there. Done that. What makes you think that this half-brained attempt at a subnotebook/tablet will fare any better than all of the previous attempts?
techster82 said:
Will it sell? Sure it will because Microsoft owns the computer market. People will buy it because its the newest thing out, or they like its features. Instead of spending countless hours trying to bash it, just grow up and let it go.
Now who's being a mindless fanboy? You're telling us to ignore our own opinions and buy this device simply because Microsoft makes it? And the reason you give for wanting this is because everybody else is already this close-minded?

Thank you for being a poster-child for why I think Windows zaalots are flaming idiots.

weg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
nj
techster82 said:
It's hillarious listening to you guys try to bash Microsoft for anything they do.

Actually, this isn't even Microsoft's product. They didn't build the hardware, so it's not their fault that it doesn't look nice.

AtHomeBoy_2000

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2005
I think Origami will work ONLY if the price gets down to about $500. I posted this (My Wish: Sub-$800 Apple Laptop) in another thread. Basically, I understand Apple's demand for superior hardware, but I think it might benifit Apple to offer a cheap stripped down laptop (aka an Apple version of Origami). i would love a cheap laptop to take on vacation (for hotel Wi-Fi internet access), on the go document typing, and the ability to watch DVDs (ok, it wouldnt have a Data drive built in, but you could rip DVDs on your mac and transfer them over).

techster82

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
Once again, SOME Apple owners continue to not surprise me. Lets see if I can address some of the idiot remarks made that really make me laugh.

To the smartest member on here which is apparently -hh, I am not a Microsoft Fanboy who just joined a week ago. I joined a couple of months ago if we want to be exact and am the owner of 2 Apple computers, previously 3. But I guess me still owning a PC makes me a Fanboy, so be it. This is just a reminder of the one thing I hate as an Apple owner, which is being associated with people like you. Why are you so bitter towards the evil empire Microsoft? Your posts really show your high intelligence level. I guess you are the only one around here who has taken Marketing and Economic courses so excuse me. You are obviously one of those who turns red with hate when you here the word Microsoft. So, just for you, Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft!!!!! Personally, I have a 12" iBook that goes everywhere with me, as well as a 30gb Video iPod, and a blackberry 7105 so being mobile is important to me. If I could get my hands on a piece of equipment that would take care of the majority of these electronics that would be great. Yet I "digress" from my point. Thats strange, two out of three of my mobile devices are Apple products yet I am a Microsoft Fanboy, go figure?

Now to shamino, I never said anything about buying it just because Microsoft makes it. I don't agree with that at all. Before you go off on another rant about Microsoft, take some time to read the original post so that you make sense. People will buy this because it is the latest greatest thing, or because it is Microsoft's newest platform. Others, like myself will wait for another revision of the product that fixes some of the problems or decreases the price, therefore making it attractive. I applaud Microsoft for coming out with a product like this, because due to Capitalism, will cause even better products to be introduced as a result as well as maybe a competitor from Apple.

techster82

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2006
That TUAW entry brings up something I didn't think about when I first heard about the origami, and that is its home theater uses. When I was the sales manager at a Home Theater company, I sold a ton of smart home controllers, or advanced remote controls. They almost all cost over $500 which is the target price for the Origami. If someone wrote some good software, this thing could be a godsend in the home theater/automation field. Say what you want about its size and battery life, but someone will find a use for this thing. Think about bluetooth and how it was a dying technology until cellphone makers decided to use it. The same will be done with this thing if it fails in the mainstream.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
techster82 said:
Now to shamino, I never said anything about buying it just because Microsoft makes it. I don't agree with that at all. Before you go off on another rant about Microsoft, take some time to read the original post so that you make sense. People will buy this because it is the latest greatest thing, or because it is Microsoft's newest platform.
You seem to take it as inevitable that anything with Microsoft's name on it must be a best seller. It just isn't true.

MS has had plenty of duds. With the exception of Windows and Office, most of MS's products have not become market dominating powerhouses.

Tablet PC's have been around for several years, yet few people have actually used one, let alone bought one. MSN has never come close to running all other ISPs out of business. The Xbox, for all its power and hype hasn't come close to displacing Sony.

Microsoft's biggest source of power is leveraging the Windows monopoly - convincing IT managers that they must use MS Exchange instead of other mail servers, because it works best with Outlook, which people use mostly because it comes free with Office. But when you get a product that can't be forced on the market with predatory Windows licensing terms, they usually don't go anywhere.

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
I'm sorry but that think looks terrribly disgusting. If its priced higher than the iPod and people actually choose it over the iPod...they probably aren't all right upstairs.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
techster82 said:
Once again, SOME Apple owners continue to not surprise me.

Yes, there's some people who have "Irrational Exuberance" over brand-names. Do you prefer Mustang or Camaro?

...I am not a Microsoft Fanboy who just joined a week ago.

But there are some within this thread.

I guess you are the only one around here who has taken Marketing and Economic courses so excuse me. You are obviously one of those who turns red with hate when you here the word Microsoft. So, just for you, Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft, Microsoft!!!!!

To turn a phrase (specifically, yours): It's hillarious listening to you guys try to -defend Microsoft- for anything they do.

Personally, I have a 12" iBook that goes everywhere with me, as well as a 30gb Video iPod, and a blackberry 7105 so being mobile is important to me. If I could get my hands on a piece of equipment that would take care of the majority of these electronics that would be great.

Yes, it would be a good thing, but the problem is that a "Jack of All Trades" device is also...continuting to finish the adage..."{but} a Master of None."

The reason that we're willing to buy/carry "non-convergence" devices is because everything contains trade-offs, and this is the set of trades that we have chosen as the "least bad". For a notional example, having an iPod and a cellphone *not* integrated together means that you'll never run out of cellphone battery because you were playing music...this is a higharchy decision: running out of tunes is bad, but running out of cell is worse ( 'communication over entertainment'), and running out of cell because you flatttened it with tunes (due to common battery) is downright abhorant.

Now to shamino, I never said anything about buying it just because Microsoft makes it.

That may have been your intent, but that's not clear from what you wrote. The inference was that this product will be successful in the marketplace because of Microsoft's dominance, so we may as well accept that and be willing to go buy one for ourselves.

Unfortunately, this is the same "infallable corporate leader" attitude that brought us the saying: "What's good for GM is good for the Country", and the cold hard reality is that the ultimate success / failure of a product isn't dependent upon how big its manufacturer is, but if consumers actually buy it.

And if you look at GM today, well, they ain't doing so well. For many people, its not because they don't want to buy a GM product, but GM isn't making a compelling product vs. their competition. In the long run, product always trumps brand name, because brand names are ultimately built by product.

Others, like myself will wait for another revision of the product that fixes some of the problems or decreases the price, therefore making it attractive.

That's the rose-tinted eyeglasses view. Mine is that this design configuration elements are fundamentally self-contradictory, so it is irrelevant if the name on top says MS-Origami or Apple-Something. FWIW, I'm willing to wait 3-5 years to be proven right.

I applaud Microsoft for coming out with a product like this, because due to Capitalism...

The innovation here was in hardware, not software. As such, how much credit does Microsoft really deserve? And FWIW, "the slow pitch" isn't anything new in Marketing campaigns:

The whale
Put Jonah
Down the hatch
But coughed him up
Because he scratched
Burma-Shave

-hh

coffey7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2006
Isn't Bill Gates a liberal?

Why is he so hated. He is just like every other computer nerd and comic book reader.He votes for democrats.Hes one of your crew.Steve Jobs is like every red neck jerk who treats women bad. I just want to know why its so personal? Why do you want the man dead? Why are people that make it big in life so hated.
I figured out that I'm the only person in the U.S.A that drives a Honda and uses a Mac that votes to the right.

rhsgolfer33

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
ferretboy said:
Why is he so hated. He is just like every other computer nerd and comic book reader.He votes for democrats.Hes one of your crew.Steve Jobs is like every red neck jerk who treats women bad. I just want to know why its so personal? Why do you want the man dead? Why are people that make it big in life so hated.
I figured out that I'm the only person in the U.S.A that drives a Honda and uses a Mac that votes to the right.

Youre not the only one, but I drive a Nissan ;) . Gates has contributed to both republicans and democrats, including McCain and Bush-Cheney. I cant understand wanting him dead, but I totally understand the hate of windows and this ugly Origami thing, why not just get Palms LifeDrive mobile manager, its smaller, has better batterlife, wifi, bluetooth, and a 4gb harddrive and is $400. Plus it looks about 100 times better than Origami.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
rhsgolfer33 said:
why not just get Palms LifeDrive mobile manager, its smaller, has better batterlife, wifi, bluetooth, and a 4gb harddrive and is $400. Plus it looks about 100 times better than Origami.

Windows XP.....

Kaiser Phoenix

Cancelled
May 12, 2005
Wharton school has an interesting article about the ORIGAMI whether it will be a flop or a hit.

Personally I think itll be a flop unless it has OSX

roach

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2006
I think it going to do good…why because it doesn’t look like a laptop. Tablet failed because marketing was non existent and if you didn’t know tablet exist, you wouldn’t know one if it was right under your nose. Retailer displayed them like normal laptop with heavy price tag. I went to an electronic store and laid a tablet flat and started doodling. All a sudden I had people asking what gadget I was using. Several people lined up wanting to try the gadget after me. I came back a few weeks later and they again laid the tablet like all other laptops.

I suspect origami is probably going to get minimum marketing, just like the tablet PC, but because it looks different from tablet, I feel it’s going to attract more attention. Initial sale is going to be slow because I don’t think current design is appealing enough to the casual consumer…so only die hard techy is going to purchase initial release origami. It is going to do well, but someone has to design a more appealing design in order for it to be a smash hit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.