Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does that look like packaging Apple has used in the past? Even their iPod packaging is clear plastic, isn't it?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Those shells are not for apple. Any plastic part were cosmetic appearance plays a role can not be tumbled together like that. They will scratch and apple would certainly not accept them.

Perhaps they are rejects for whatever reason. Or the company is screwing up, it wouldn't be the first time.

This is a good move from Apple! Some people like my mother, sister and other relatives love the iPhone but cannot justify paying £500+ for a phone. (My mum doesn't like contracts, so she stays on PAYG). She has my old iPhone 4 and a new iPod Touch. I can definitely see my Mum and my sister buying one each.

I doubt it will make a difference to your Mum. It will most likely still require a contract and data plan.

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
If Steve Jobs was still here, there wouldn't be any leaks at all. Apple is no longer a secretive company. It's sad. :( No more surprises.

I guess you slept through the iPhone 4 launch then?

We've seen "leaks" like this countless times before, across Apple's product range from iPods to Macs. Sometimes they're real, and sometimes, despite how real they appear they're fakes or imitations.

Until Apple announce anything, nobody really knows what's coming. This is still all just rumour and speculation.

On the subject of naming, this will be a different product to the current iPhone so I really don't think it will be called 'C'. It will most likely follow the same naming standards as Mac, iPod and iPad with something like iPhone Lite.

Abobrek

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2012
IF this is genuine and the budget iPhone is called, "iPhone 5C" I don't think the supposed, "iPhone 5S" will be called "5S". Consumers could get confused when going to purchase such a device, especially with a price cut on the iPhone 5 while supplies last. It would be, "5, 5S, and 5C"? Does anyone else see this as being very, "un-Apple"? I can see it now, a teen asks his grandma for a new iPhone and she gets confused. I think the budget iPhone MAY be called, "5C" but the "5S" MAY actually be, "iPhone 6".

HomeButton

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2011
this reeks of the apple ii in the late 80s and early 90s -- when it got bastardized into a million different products like the apple ii e, c, plus, gs, etc

S

syd430

It's obviously the iPhone 5 [C]anWePleaseHaveSomeMoreMarketShare?

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
I doubt it will make a difference to your Mum. It will most likely still require a contract and data plan.

In the UK we have the option to either get a phone with a contract or pay the full price of the product. My Mum will likely ask me to pick her one up from the Apple Store.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Even the packaging looks cheap...

An entirely plastic box with each iPhone? Is that cost effective? Or environmental?

This looks like it's basically the same box design that they have used for iPods for a while now. This makes perfect sense because if the phone will come in multiple colors they want you to be able to see the color you're getting without having to produce different packaging for each color:

ipod-touch-5g-packaging1.jpg

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
I can't believe some of you are moaning/complaining about the quality of the packaging.

If these leaks are correct, it makes sense.

A plastic iPhone. And plastic packaging.

makingdots

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
That naming seems plausible but I prefer naming it:

iPhone Lite and iPhone Pro or simply iPhone and iPhone Pro.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I don't know, but I think it's the right move.

I would even consider buying a cheap iPhone with a replaceable plastic shell as my carry phone.

I love my iPhone 5, but I always try to handle it with extreme care and have to think about cases and so on.

If this could be an additional phone that I could use for development and Apple still produces a high end design phone, I'd probably buy it ...

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
IF this is genuine and the budget iPhone is called, "iPhone 5C" I don't think the supposed, "iPhone 5S" will be called "5S". Consumers could get confused when going to purchase such a device, especially with a price cut on the iPhone 5 while supplies last. It would be, "5, 5S, and 5C"? Does anyone else see this as being very, "un-Apple"? I can see it now, a teen asks his grandma for a new iPhone and she gets confused. I think the budget iPhone MAY be called, "5C" but the "5S" MAY actually be, "iPhone 6".

I might agree, if Apple planned to keep the iPhone 5 around like they have in the past. But the other rumors are saying the 5C will completely replace the 5 on the cheap end. If that's true, then 5C vs 5S is no more confusing than 5 vs 5S.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
This looks like it's basically the same box design that they have used for iPods for a while now. This makes perfect sense because if the phone will come in multiple colors they want you to be able to see the color you're getting without having to produce different packaging for each color:

But this looks like clear plastic. Those leaks do not.

RandomQuestion

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
The Apple logo on one of the boxes is off (top right of the picture) and the box appears shallow.

Points of interest, if real:
1. Packaging designed for different markets (shorter box for N.America, bigger for rest of the work since the charger elsewhere is larger).
2. But why would the boxes be mixed in the same pile, if aimed at different markets.
3. Similar approach to iPod packaging.
4. If Apple is axing the iPhone 5, and introducing two flavors... There is a good chance they'll be dropping the number. Example: iPhone & iPhone Colour

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK

True, except they also print the product name in the corresponding colour on iPod touch packaging, so even with this method, they need to/could produce different packaging for each product. :)

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I might agree, if Apple planned to keep the iPhone 5 around like they have in the past. But the other rumors are saying the 5C will completely replace the 5 on the cheap end. If that's true, then 5C vs 5S is no more confusing than 5 vs 5S.

I think that this is probably correct, and that the 5C will have roughy the same internal specs as the outgoing 5, while the 5S gets the newer, faster components.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ClemyNX

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I believe this looks like the real thing but it's odd that they are all thrown one over the other like that, makes a lot of scratches probably.

The packaging and name seem like something Apple could do.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Everything that defined Apple - design and (build) quality - has now gone down the drain with these cheap knock-off looking, plastic iPhones. I don't like the direction Apple is heading

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
IPhone 5 consumer?

IPhone 5 custom color?

Whatever it is will be a great entry level device that will eat in to the lower level android market share. Apple isn't stupid, they know exactly who they're appealing to with this device class.

I just don't get this. Why do people get so caught up in a $50 to $100 difference in the hardware of a phone when they are agreeing to a $2500 outlay for service over the next two years? I wouldn't give it a second thought for an infinitely better piece of hardware, and especially better operating system.

g88bo

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2013
The Apple logo on one of the boxes is off (top right of the picture) and the box appears shallow.

Points of interest, if real:
1. Packaging designed for different markets (shorter box for N.America, bigger for rest of the work since the charger elsewhere is larger).
2. But why would the boxes be mixed in the same pile, if aimed at different markets.
3. Similar approach to iPod packaging.
4. If Apple is axing the iPhone 5, and introducing two flavors... There is a good chance they'll be dropping the number. Example: iPhone & iPhone Colour

maybe this is the reject container for all the boxes with flaws?

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
Everything that defined Apple - design and (build) quality - has now gone down the drain with these cheap knock-off looking, plastic iPhones. I don't like the direction Apple is heading

Did people believe that the iPhone 3G and 3GS were cheap looking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.