Photo of the day: December 2013

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MacRy, Dec 1, 2013.

1. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

It's December on the International Dateline

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here **

-------------------------

I'll kick it all off with a picture of this fella who I stumbled across yesterday at the British Motorcycle Show in Birmingham. I wasn't expecting to see him there so it was a total surprise.

Not the greatest picture in the world but regardless......here is HRH Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge:

[​IMG]

He's a big bike nut like me and rides a Ducati.

2. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

3. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

A pint, yesterday, in a pub - Old Friends - in Ulverston. 'Old Friends' sounds like it ought to be a popular name for a pub... but it isn't.

[​IMG]

4. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

I'm not surprised it's not a popular pub what with all the ghost customers trying to pinch your pint!

5. Parkin Pig macrumors 6502a

Parkin Pig

At the KTM stand - was he eyeing up the new 1290 'Beast'?

My pic for the day - I should really get out with my new camera, but took advantage of the good weather yesterday and spent the day on my own 'beast' (Triumph Tiger 800).
    So, back to the archives, and one more from the Shoreham Air Show. I'll have to stop posting these lest I get accused of advertising margarine.

[​IMG]
    WingWalk016 by Parkin Pig, on Flickr

6. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Red-tailed Hawk

[​IMG]

For me it's always exciting to see one of these guys come down out of the trees. I think he had his eyes on a squirrel that was eating nuts close to my feet.

7. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

[​IMG]

A Calm River

Canon EOS 6D
    1/100
    f/4.0
    24 mm
    ISO500

9. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Nice capture. I hope you warned the squirrel!

10. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

I don't think it was the KTM stand actually, I just happened to get it in the background. He had a sit on a couple of Ducati's and Triumphs apparently. He's a Ducati rider himself.

Those Tiger 800’s are great bikes! I had one as a loaner when my Street Triple was in for service once. I loved it. Tried the XC version too and liked that even more.

11. Puckman macrumors 6502

Concluding the Newport Beach thread, and going into the surreal for this last one.

[​IMG]
    IMG_0600 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

Starting tomorrow, we'll be headed in a totally different direction than sunsets.

12. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Great shot. The big trick in wildlife photography is to break past the portrait stage and capture a higher level of intrigue in the subject. You managed to do that quite well.

I like. I know model car builders who will agonize for months trying to get a nice new kit to look like this. The grill has a nice touch of personality to it. What I said about wildlife applies to junk cars, too.

Beautiful, serene and resting. May I use this to replace my desktop?

Dale

13. Puckman macrumors 6502

By all means.

Although it's my least favorite of the bunch from a technical aspect. Not having an ND filter caused the sky to severely overblow. Which I compensated best I could in LR, hence the weird color tones. Which I then ended up tweaking by using a different WB.

The funny thing is that everyone perceives photos (or art in general) so differently. You see serene and resting. Whenever I look at this one, I keep thinking that weird color and the big white overblown halo in the sky look like a nuclear explosion or similar radioactive catastrophe gone off in the distance.

14. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I'm currently working through a series of cataract surgeries and when I get my full vision back I hope to be equally picky...:cool:

EDIT: Didn't notice the guy on the rocks until I loaded it as my desktop. I'll keep it anyway...

Dale

15. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Thanks AFB and no animals were harmed in the making of this shot. :)

Thanks. It is a challenge getting beyond that portrait style of wildlife images.

All the best wishes with your cataract surgeries Dale.

~ Peter

16. Apple fanboy, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

17. appie57 macrumors 6502

appie57

I use live radio broadcasts in the local theatre as a free practising ground for "difficult" shots. It's challenging :) This is an anchorwoman in action.

[​IMG]
    D800|85mm|ISO 1600|f/1.8|1/250s|

18. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

Shot with an infrared converted DSLR (nikon d60). Shooting flowers in IR is one of the weirdest things.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by FriskyFreeze, on Flickr

19. MacRy thread starter macrumors 68040

MacRy

What's weirder is that's how insects see them all of the time.

20. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

That is pretty weird!

21. rymack macrumors regular

rymack

One of my favourite shots of Stonehenge from mine and my wife's recent honeymoon in England and Scotland this past October. It may be a little cooked, but it captures my feeling and perception of the place. C&C welcome!

[​IMG]

22. castles00 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the positive feedback on the last pic. I didn't want to center the subject, but I ran into some blurring issues on the left side if I cropped any further. The water was a little choppy :).

Here is one from the fall, before the cold made its way into Chicago. This is Montrose Harbor (for anyone familiar with the city).

[​IMG]

23. epb87 macrumors member

Looks very familiar to me - I run the lakefront path quite frequently.

Now for my own...

Caught a nice shot of some green star polyp at SeaWorld last weekend. C&C welcome - thanks!

[​IMG]

24. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Hope it all goes well for you Dale. When do you expect them to be over?

25. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

The 1000 Surfboard Graveyard, an incredible installation by Chris Anderson in the Royal National Park, NSW, Australia.

[​IMG]