Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Doylem, Florian, AFB, and HantaYo - thank you for your comments. Our first snowfall of the season and a Red Tailed Hawk...a great way to spend a day off work.

~ Peter

HantaYo

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
Great Sand Dunes National Park earlier this fall.

Attachments

• Foot Prints.jpg
    Foot Prints.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 119

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
DSC_7511-L.jpg

You gotta love a fresh snowfall.

This is an amazing picture Peter. Ever thought of putting your photos on Alamy or similar?

Tower Bridge...

5DM37418 by Chris-VirtualRain, on Flickr

Lovely picture as always, VR :)

Hornsea...

w9asinK.jpg

I think you might find this is Withernsea, Doylem, just up the coast from Hornsea. You've made a nice job of bringing out the colours as it's been uniformly grey whenever I've been there. Either you were lucky to find some blue in the sky or I've been very unlucky!

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
This is an amazing picture Peter. Ever thought of putting your photos on Alamy or similar?

A lot of the photos on these pages might sell as stock (Alamy, or other agencies), and not just the spectacular ones.

I think you might find this is Withernsea, Doylem, just up the coast from Hornsea. You've made a nice job of bringing out the colours as it's been uniformly grey whenever I've been there. Either you were lucky to find some blue in the sky or I've been very unlucky!

Yes, my mistake. I passed though Withernsea, then kipped in Hornsea. This is one consequence of living in a tiny motorhome: forgetting where the hell I've been. I carry a tiny voice recorder, to keep track of photo locations, etc...

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
It's been awhile since I've posted, but life has been crazy since I moved to Germany. For the next couple weeks I am in San Francisco for a conference, so I will be trying to find interesting locations to shoot (when it's not raining). Suggestions welcome!

Here is a photo I took at sunset last night looking towards the UC Berkeley campus towards the Golden Gate bridge.

Berkeley by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

Full disclosure: My inspiration for this photo comes from this incredible shot from Erin Babnik (the artist formerly known as Phrasikleia): http://www.erinbabnik.com/2012/12/trio/. When I got home and compared my shot with hers, I was pretty surprised to see how close the location matches hers.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
It's been awhile since I've posted, but life has been crazy since I moved to Germany. For the next couple weeks I am in San Francisco for a conference, so I will be trying to find interesting locations to shoot (when it's not raining). Suggestions welcome!

Here is a photo I took at sunset last night looking towards the UC Berkeley campus towards the Golden Gate bridge.

[url=https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7554/15399196074_131f2364ac_b.jpg]Image[/url]

Full disclosure: My inspiration for this photo comes from this incredible shot from Erin Babnik (the artist formerly known as Phrasikleia): http://www.erinbabnik.com/2012/12/trio/. When I got home and compared my shot with hers, I was pretty surprised to see how close the location matches hers.

Loverly picture. Hope we see you on here a bit more regularly.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands

Funny. I remembered that shot. My first impression that it was a repost. I like it. Just as I liked Mrs.P ^H^HErin's shot.

What geology is there to be discovered in Berkeley?

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany
Funny. I remembered that shot. My first impression that it was a repost. I like it. Just as I liked Mrs.P ^H^HErin's shot.

What geology is there to be discovered in Berkeley?

Thank you!

Oh man, the geology of this area is super complex and diverse because of its proximity to an active plate boundary (the western continental margin)! There's about 200 million years of the geologic record exposed in the Bay area.

On these hills in Berkeley, the rocks were covered by grass and trees, so I wasn't too distracted when I went to take photos. It will be more distracting when I take photos near the sea cliffs or on the Marin Headlands. Unfortunately, it's all part of a national park, so I don't get to take any rock samples home...

I think I'm going to go look at rocks now.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto

A lot of the photos on these pages might sell as stock (Alamy, or other agencies), and not just the spectacular ones.

What a nice compliment...thank you Ish. However, I'm sure that Doylem is right. The stock images that sell are the type we purchase at work. You know...family sitting on lawn in front of 2 storey house type thing. For that we purchase an unlimited licence for about $20.

What would thrill me is having an image published in one of Canada's outstanding wildlife/naturalist publications. I'm also thinking ahead to my early retirement in a few years when I'll consider doing the craft show circuit with prints and maybe calendars and gift cards. I'm not sure about that idea as it's a saturated market that will require a certain marketing flair that I haven't figured out yet.

Thanks again Ish.

~ Peter

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
What a nice compliment...thank you Ish. However, I'm sure that Doylem is right. The stock images that sell are the type we purchase at work. You know...family sitting on lawn in front of 2 storey house type thing. For that we purchase an unlimited licence for about $20.

What would thrill me is having an image published in one of Canada's outstanding wildlife/naturalist publications. I'm also thinking ahead to my early retirement in a few years when I'll consider doing the craft show circuit with prints and maybe calendars and gift cards. I'm not sure about that idea as it's a saturated market that will require a certain marketing flair that I haven't figured out yet.

Thanks again Ish.

~ Peter

When you strike out on your own and start selling calendars, I'm in. I'm sure you'll set up a website, please let us know. I love your pictures! Cheers

Oh yeah, try and convince Joe King to join you:)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Thanks again Ish.

~ Peter

Have you ever submitted any photos to those said magazines? I'm sure you would peak their interest.
Agree that selling photos for a liveable wage is a saturated market. The key is finding a niche that is not too popular. Designing your own website (although useful as a tool) is only half the issue. Getting people to see it means you need a good understanding of Google ad words and pay per click etc.
Then the other options are being paid to take photos. If you don't really shoot people like me, that leaves limited opportunities. I've been thinking of moving job, and would really like to do something around photography. However unless you go it alone, all the wages I've seen are pretty much just above minimum. I couldn't support a family on that.

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK

Yes, my mistake. I passed though Withernsea, then kipped in Hornsea. This is one consequence of living in a tiny motorhome: forgetting where the hell I've been. I carry a tiny voice recorder, to keep track of photo locations, etc...

It's funny, when I look at those structures in your photograph they appear quite modest in size. My memory of them is as a very large, grey castle ruin, way above head height. I haven't been there since I was about five …

Thanks again Ish.

~ Peter

As AFB suggested, you should submit some photos to them. You never know until you try!

They just get better and better VR :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Have you ever submitted any photos to those said magazines? I'm sure you would peak their interest.
Agree that selling photos for a liveable wage is a saturated market. The key is finding a niche that is not too popular. Designing your own website (although useful as a tool) is only half the issue. Getting people to see it means you need a good understanding of Google ad words and pay per click etc.
Then the other options are being paid to take photos. If you don't really shoot people like me, that leaves limited opportunities. I've been thinking of moving job, and would really like to do something around photography. However unless you go it alone, all the wages I've seen are pretty much just above minimum. I couldn't support a family on that.

I'm not sure that "finding an unpopular niche" is the key to stock photography. As for being paid to take photos, there are many genres of photography that don't require shooting people pix. On the other hand, it pays to be flexible, adaptable: thinking about what we can do... rather than what we can't...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.