Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
It was enhanced just a tad in PS to exaggerate the yellow only.

----------

Yep, it's definitely a VBB thing, Firefox has exactly the same size appearance.
I'm pretty sure the forum view has been optimized for tablets. Everything is full screen on my iPad..I thought there was a separate moble version but I guess they have been stuck together...

Dale

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I'm pretty sure the forum view has been optimized for tablets. Everything is full screen on my iPad..I thought there was a separate moble version but I guess they have been stuck together...

Dale

That makes sense now, surprisingly that's one thing I don't use my iPad for! Cruising the net that is. Personally, I would have kept one scalable view for tablets and mobiles and another for computers.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Phrasikleia, for one who just doesn't do cold, at all, ever! You make it so beautifully enticing!

It's really not so bad once you get used to dressing like the Michelin Man. ;)

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! (Click for larger)

k55471.jpg

Nicely done! The reflection of the light adds a lot to this one.

A very enticing picture. The warmth of the sun just invites you to walk over there except, of course, that would spoil the pristine snow field! Lovely contrast of warmth with coldness. One of my favourites.

That was precisely the impulse I had to overcome! Sometimes it's hard to suppress my inner child that wants to go romping through the pristine snow. I have to remind myself that it's not safe; there are often 'terrain traps' in snow that deep. When I do need to blaze a trail, I go very slowly, prodding the area in front of me with my hiking poles. Alas, running around in the backyard as a kid was so much easier!

Red is the color of the day, so happy valentine everyone :)

_MG_7056%20upload-XL.jpg

Beautiful! I like how there is snow both in the background and on the branches by the bird.

Forgive the ignorance, but exactly is a sun pillar? First time I hear the term.

PS: The photo is as gorgeous as usual...

Thanks, Puckman1. A sun pillar is a phenomenon that happens when there are ice crystals in the air that catch the light rays of a bright light source close to the horizon, causing a vertical beam to appear above it.

Phrasikleia and Ish, this is the best I had in regard of composition from those taken the other night. This is about 10 or 15 minutes later again, so the purples have turned blue now... I will revisit it and see how I can improve the composition, there is no more room left to go any further away from it at all, I was right up against a fence as it was. The flip around screen finally came in handy!

_MG_0959_zps1f228985.jpg

Simplifying the foreground has helped the composition, but you do still have that sliver of pavement in the lower left corner, and now your left margin is really tight. So yeah, probably a candidate for a revisit, if you want to work on it some more. Maybe getting further away isn't the solution...perhaps closer and wider? Further to the left? I really have no idea, but it could be a good puzzle to work out if you are so inclined. :)

P.S. Congrats to Kallisti for getting his first photo publication (two photos in a journal). I hope he won't mind me sharing what a little bird told me! :)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Re sizing pix on the forum: not ideal, but I re-size the pix on the screen with 'Command+'...

I never tire of your pics (or Phrasiklea's). It seems where you live, there's a lot of open space (or do you travel to these spots?). Who said England is this boring dull grey place?

Thank you. But I don’t know who said England is a “boring dull grey place” either. It’s very small, especially since we share these little islands with three other countries - the ‘united kingdom’ - and a host of related problems that date back many centuries. Most visitors fly into London, visit Edinburgh and Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare’s town), then, thinking they’ve ‘done’ Britain, fly off to ‘do’ Paris or Madrid. They miss a lot.

The north of England, particularly, has some beautiful landscapes: the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District, North Pennines, two coastlines. The Lake District, where I live, is probably the best known of our national parks, even though it’s only about 650 square miles. It’s not wilderness; it’s ‘managed’ farmland in an upland landscape, which is why there are more sheep than crops. The mountains aren’t high, by the standards of most other countries, but there’s a lot of variety. And what photographers enjoy is the ‘four seasons in one day’ climate, which offers incredible variety and changes in light. Dull? Grey? I don’t think so...

The Yorkshire Dales (no light, no colour... not a new pic either ;))

sheepsnow.jpg

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Yeah, I was joking about the "stereotype" yanks have about "England" (most ppl here don't get the difference between England and the UK and the words are often used interchangeably) being foggy, rainy and grey year round.

Still, I learned something new here. Didn't realize you had managed farmlands up that way, or national parks. I'm gonna have to make note to visit that area next time I visit the UK.

Re sizing pix on the forum: not ideal, but I re-size the pix on the screen with 'Command+'...

Thank you. But I don’t know who said England is a “boring dull grey place” either. It’s very small, especially since we share these little islands with three other countries - the ‘united kingdom’ - and a host of related problems that date back many centuries. Most visitors fly into London, visit Edinburgh and Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare’s town), then, thinking they’ve ‘done’ Britain, fly off to ‘do’ Paris or Madrid. They miss a lot.

The north of England, particularly, has some beautiful landscapes: the Yorkshire Dales, Lake District, North Pennines, two coastlines. The Lake District, where I live, is probably the best known of our national parks, even though it’s only about 650 square miles. It’s not wilderness; it’s ‘managed’ farmland in an upland landscape, which is why there are more sheep than crops. The mountains aren’t high, by the standards of most other countries, but there’s a lot of variety. And what photographers enjoy is the ‘four seasons in one day’ climate, which offers incredible variety and changes in light. Dull? Grey? I don’t think so...

The Yorkshire Dales (no light, no colour... not a new pic either ;))

----------

Death Valley California

Something about the starkness here definitely makes it live up to its name of death valley. I need to get back out there soon for some photography (I'm lucky enough to live a few hours away).

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Note on Viewing Size

VBB, the software that "powers" MacRumors is set to resize all images, including linked ones, to around 780px. If you want to view an image at the intended posting size:

Safari: Right click it and select either Open Image in New Window or Open Image in New Tab. You need to close either the tab or Window to return to the forum.

Firefox: Right click and select View Image. It will open on a black background at full size. Use the back button to return to the forum.

These work a rounds are a bit of a pain, but you can still see the pic at full size without clicking through to the hosting site.

Setting the view to Fluid or Fluid HD at the very bottom of the page might help too.

Dale

StephenF

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
Bad Moon Rising

I was trying to capture this moon rise as my neighbour's house was getting smoked out due to a blockage in her chimney. Between the going on's of the fire department, 20 below Celsius temperature, and my 2 year old daughter at my side, I am somewhat pleased. It was a beautiful setting. I had to try. I would have liked to have had less illumination from the moon. My daughter, at her stage of development, is trying to piece words together, she said it looked like a "balloon". I could not disagree.

Attachments

• DSC_1053.JPG
    DSC_1053.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 105

lharvest

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Winter Skyline

I know it is too centered, but I didn't have my tripod with me and I had to improvise.

IMG_0065-M.jpg

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
It's really not so bad once you get used to dressing like the Michelin Man. ;)

Also, get some gloves that allow you to use your fingers without completely removing the gloves! I don't know what they are called, but I found a great pair at a truck stop in Montana. They are basically fingertipless gloves with a mitten that flips over the end of your fingers. I can stick just one or two fingers out at a time and work the camera without any discomfort, even at -18ºF!

----------

Olympic-Peninsula-Neah-Bay-Fallen-Tree-XL.jpg

Fallen Tree

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.
I had the opportunity to go for a walk around Willunga the other day and thought I'd play and learn a little bit with the perspective of the Tokina 11-16mm lens. This is the Post Office in the blazing midday sun with no filters.

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
wow, that is such a beautiful picture...is there somewhere where i can view it at full resolution? i'd love to have it as wallpaper on my 21" iMac.

Thanks! Check your Private Messages :)

Nicely done! The reflection of the light adds a lot to this one.

Thanks P, here's another corny Valentine's pic :p (Click for larger)
This one needed bulb mode... 30 second metering was giving me a good workout :p

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Also, get some gloves that allow you to use your fingers without completely removing the gloves! I don't know what they are called, but I found a great pair at a truck stop in Montana. They are basically fingertipless gloves with a mitten that flips over the end of your fingers. I can stick just one or two fingers out at a time and work the camera without any discomfort, even at -18ºF!

I'll second that! My wife gave me a pair of these glove/mitts for Valentine's Day and they're awesome. Great for keeping your fingers from freezing and falling off but, in a flash, you peal the mitt part back and you're ready to snap away. Of course someone like John in Adelaide Australia is reading this and, as he wipes sweat from his lens, is thinking "gloves for handling a camera...are you nuts!". :)

Mine for today...another from Death Valley California:

PHD_4004-XL.jpg

ijohn.8.80

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2012
Adelaide, Oztwaylya.

Creepy log by xmunos, on Flickr

No hands were lost in the making of this photograph.

Alex, you've almost got an HCB type surrealist effect going on here! Nice!

----------

Of course someone like John in Adelaide Australia is reading this and, as he wipes sweat from his lens, is thinking "gloves for handling a camera...are you nuts!". :)

The gloves sound like a fantastic idea actually, for you guys and girls. :cool:

We've actually had a fairly mild summer this year, we are just experiencing a bit of heat right now and you should hear the softies moan! ;) I don't mind the heat, it's the cold that does me in, that's when I start moaning!

Mine for today...another from Death Valley California:

PHD_4004-XL.jpg

Peter, I've loved the tonal ranges you have captured in your Death Valley pictures, something I'm trying to pay more heed to in my pictures of late, I'm reading and watching some lectures/tutorials about the zone system to try and help myself there.

----------

Good colour replacement here, I'm assuming that's what you did, nice and abstract.

----------

La Galion Beach, St. Martin...

p1418274548-4.jpg

VirtualRain, just a few steps to the left and you could have framed the pontoon and the red yacht in between those palms. Which would have added so much more interest to this picture.

----------

appie57, this has some great tonal ranges to it and really nice subjects and interest for me. A nice capture.

----------

sunnyj, you're on a roll with the birds! After seeing your car interior pictures I wouldn't have expected this side of your photography! Keep it up, all aspects, I mean!

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
The gloves sound like a fantastic idea actually, for you guys and girls. :cool:

We've actually had a fairly mild summer this year, we are just experiencing a bit of heat right now and you should hear the softies moan! ;) I don't mind the heat, it's the cold that does me in, that's when I start moaning!

I'm guessing you guys wouldn't experience all that much humidity down there in SA, more dry outback air? We've had a few hot ones up here. I can live with a few 45C days fine (113F for our American friends) - it's mainly the humidity factor on even the (relatively) cooler days that makes things a little unpleasant for some people at times "up" here (all the moist equatorial air moving down the coast).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.