Photo of the Day : January 2011

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheReef, Dec 31, 2010.

1. TheReef, Dec 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2010

TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

It is January 2011 on the International Dateline.
    Happy New Year!

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary, and first posted in May, 2006 It was converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors and often exceeds 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest. No winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post multiple images in one message.

*Quote with Thumbnails - If you quote an image that has tags, convert them to [img] tags before replying. This will post your comment with a thumbnail and save space. Failure to [img] in quotes is still a problem at this time. Help fix that.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. The Moderators like that. Observe the [img] policy here, too (especially).

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

Optional - Describe your photo.Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera; ISO; Focal Length; Shutter/Aperture; Lens.

If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

[URL="https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8OWExYmRjNTgtYTU4NC00MjA5LWIxOTgtMjIxMTc0OTlkODU5&hl=en"]Using the Quote Button[/URL]

[URL="https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8YTBkNjUyN2MtNDZjNy00MjU3LWFmNDItM2JkZjMxMTBkYmZi&hl=en"]Using the Multi-Quote Button[/URL]

[URL="https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8OWEzYmVmMTUtOTcyNS00MGY1LWJlMDMtN2ZiZTdmMjcxMTYy&hl=en"]Using the Edit Button[/URL]

[URL="https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8NDc2OWQzMzAtNjFlZi00NzUyLWE1MDgtNDQxMzM4MWE0NTEy&hl=en&authkey=CN71wswI"]Using Flickr to Host Photos[/URL]

[URL="https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8MzYzOWM2MTMtOTVhOS00YjMyLTgxMWUtNTg5ODNkYTZjNDI3&hl=en"]Using ImageShack to Host Photos[/URL]

For one-click access, they are all here: [URL="https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B1nHFOBDdle8M2IwZmQwOTktNjA5Ni00NDg1LWFkNDUtYTEzYjM1ZDQyZDdh&hl=en"]Dale's Google Docs Folder[/URL]

Right about now Sydney harbour will be full of boats watching the new years fireworks.

[IMG]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/7848/imgp85612.jpg
    1/800s - f/8.0 - ISO200 - 75mm

2. dbales macrumors regular

3. booth22 macrumors regular

4. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

5. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

hdr?

6. LittleCanonKid macrumors 6502

7. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

As we just got to the new year.. i am going to post a cliché to start the new year... fireworks illuminating a tree..
    happy new year
    (its clickable but the real photo is tack sharp.. dunno why it got so blurry).

Attached Files:

8. otter macrumors 6502

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

10. AoxomoxoA macrumors member

Isleton, CA

Attached Files:

11. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Blackbird - AMG Nr. 1000 sold in Australia

[​IMG]

Drool! AMG Nr. 1000 to be sold in Australia. A one-off SLS-AMG from AMG Performance Studio dubbed "Blackbird". Just out of picture to the right is another one off AMG dubbed "Jaffa", a searing orange and black C63 AMG with upgraded engine, brakes, better tyres, suspension, etc!

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Excellent photo. Love the mixture of orange, blue, and green.

13. Sebct macrumors regular

14. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Hot off the camera...

[​IMG]

Happy New Year to my fellow photographers here on MR! May we all continue to find beauty in the world in 2011! :)

15. macrumormonger macrumors 6502

Still 2010 in the Best Coast

[​IMG]
    Camera Canon EOS REBEL T2i
    Exposure 0.02 sec (1/50)
    Aperture f/8.0
    Focal Length 35 mm
    ISO Speed 100

16. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

First event/holiday with my brand new only a day old Canon 60D :) I love it so far heres one of the best shots I took from the entire guitar drop at the New Years bash on Friday Night in Nashville, TN.

[​IMG]

17. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

For all you bike racing fans. This guy had just won a cash prize for leading a lap, hence the expression on his face. I also used this photo to do a little learning on Lightroom's adjustment brush to bring his face up out of shadow a bit.

[​IMG]

The image contains EXIF information but does not reveal that I used a 1.4X TC with my 300/2.8 for this photo.

18. kallisti macrumors 65816

kallisti

Didn't you post this in last month's thread?

[​IMG]

19. BlindSoul macrumors 6502

It's two different threads...

20. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

First thought on seeing this picture, "WOW". Love the colors and the scenery. My guess, HDR. If so, it's a great use of that technique. A little bit biased on this photo subject as I deal with trains and boxes daily. Hmmmm, looks like a Schneider box back there ;). Cheers and Happy New Year to all!

21. dbales macrumors regular

Yes, I don't do HDR too often, but some photos look good using it.

22. dbales macrumors regular

Taken on a stretch of Route 66 on the western outskirts of Albuquerque.

[​IMG]

23. Sailorloco macrumors member

Wow, Great Pic, it took me away for a minute...wishing I was there. Great shot.

24. kallisti macrumors 65816

kallisti

But in general it is frowned upon to post the same image in two different threads. We all saw this image in the December thread. It either worked or didn't work for those that viewed it. Reposting the same image in this thread is redundant. If you are hoping to get feedback that you didn't receive in the previous thread, then I would suggest starting a new thread asking for specific comments on this particular image. I actually like it. While the subject is clichéd, I enjoy shots like this on some level. A generic macro is more likely to bring a smile to my face than a generic landscape. But there are so many other factors that influence my reaction to a given image that I hesitate to make generalities. I wouldn't hang your image on my wall, largely because I would just do it myself if I felt the need for this particular subject in a print. Nothing against how you handled it, just something that I could do myself and would appreciate more knowing that it was mine and not someone else's.

If you want comments and critiques on a particular image then create a thread to that effect. The POTD thread is largely a place to post your current recent faves that you have taken (or possibly dip into older images that haven't been posted before). Running themes are fine, but repostings of the same image aren't really appropriate. You posted your image in the December thread. There it lives. Not really kosher to double-dip into January with the same image.

25. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I would have to agree. Think of the PotD thread as one ongoing narrative that just happens to break down into monthly 'chapters'. Whatever happened in December should stay in December...