Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Was snowing here this morning.
39990839731_e979f4626e_c.jpg

fcortese

macrumors demi-god
Apr 3, 2010
Big Sky country
To be honest I'm on the fence about it!

Wooden't you know it, another dad has appeared !

Cheers :)

Hugh

Did you have to stake out that location?

If it was up to me I'd "pick it".

I see we're all in top form today with the dad puns! :cool:

Hmm, puns, etc aside, I'd be tempted to focus on the second post in. Just sometihing to rail about :)

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
Hmm, puns, etc aside, I'd be tempted to focus on the second post in. Just sometihing to rail about :)
That was something I tried, Florian, but I found it quite distracting, when viewing it on the computer after import. It was that the front post was so dominant in the scene and slightly out of focus, that the third post also came into focus at f/4, and the lack of a bicyclist going past that annoyed me.

Reactions: fcortese

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I caught this just at the right time. The sun very briefly poked through the clouds and shone on St Paul’s as I was walking by.

26116293578_6a635e1667_h.jpg

M9 with Elmar 50mm 2.8 @F8

Love this image
[doublepost=1517383952][/doublepost]
To be honest I'm on the fence about it!

I dont want to cause a fence here but I think maybe a deeper DoF would have helped a little bringing more of the posts into sharp relief maybe a bit of.... postfix. I like the leading line and the texture you have got in post from the finshing post it is a stand up job.

I agree, an image with a cyclist going by, I would pickett over one without. Though I would stake my bets on the DoF first...

I don"t know, I could come down either side of this one, maybe if there was a step over the fence in the image? I kind of like that stile.

Just had a thought though, thats not an electric fence is it? Having one there would be shocking!

:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I dont want to cause a fence here but I think maybe a deeper DoF would have helped a little bringing more of the posts into sharp relief maybe a bit of.... postfix. I like the leading line and the texture you have got in post from the finshing post it is a stand up job.

I agree, an image with a cyclist going by, I would pickett over one without. Though I would stake my bets on the DoF first...

I don"t know, I could come down either side of this one, maybe if there was a step over the fence in the image? I kind of like that stile.

Just had a thought though, thats not an electric fence is it? Having one there would be shocking!

:oops::oops::oops::oops:
No a-fence taken, Ken. I was lucky with the image above that I managed to get a cyclist going on by in the frame and perfectly placed between the posts. I'll have to look at the other couple I took here to see if there's any with a deeper DOF that wasn't annoying, with the foremost post OOF.

It's not a fence with wires, just the uprights every metre or so apart.

Reactions: zagato27 and kenoh

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I recently bought a LensBaby Tilt Transformer for a bargain price (it fits a micro 4/3 body one end, and any Nikon lens the other), and married it with my Nikkor-H 50mm F/2.
I'm awaiting a Nikkor 24mm f/2.8 AI lens which should be better still.

Anyway, here's a first (if a little uninteresting) effort...

A Slice of Hebe
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Hugh
I had to look that piece of kit up, it looks like an interesting toy tool to explore with! ;)

I was trying to find out how far it tilts, but they don't share that, just a claim that it's up to twice what you can tilt on a tilt-shift lens.

Get up high somewhere, with a big scene in front of you, including buildings, people and vehicles. You should get some cool effects, if you enjoy the tiny town look.

Might have to investigate one of these later on, when I put in an arts grant application for the remainder of my groups kit.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I had to look that piece of kit up, it looks like an interesting toy tool to explore with! ;)

I was trying to find out how far it tilts, but they don't share that, just a claim that it's up to twice what you can tilt on a tilt-shift lens.

Get up high somewhere, with a big scene in front of you, including buildings, people and vehicles. You should get some cool effects, if you enjoy the tiny town look.

Might have to investigate one of these later on, when I put in an arts grant application for the remainder of my groups kit.
I think a normal tilt is 8° maximum, so they are claiming up to 16° (I could be wrong here ;))
I shall do some toytown experiments when I can; also I think the thing can be used to get more DOF as well as less - good for landscapes.

Here is LensBaby's own promo video -

Hugh

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
I think a normal tilt is 8° maximum, so they are claiming up to 16° (I could be wrong here ;))
I shall do some toytown experiments when I can; also I think the thing can be used to get more DOF as well as less - good for landscapes.

Here is LensBaby's own promo video -

Hugh

Interesting. As an owner of a Panasonic G3 camera I just might have to look into this one day. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
Interesting. As an owner of a Panasonic G3 camera I just might have to look into this one day. Thanks for sharing.
You're welcome.
2nd hand might be your only option for this particular item as they've been discontinued. However I think the LensBaby Composer with Tilt Transformer is the current version, and I believe it still accepts Nikon lenses.

Hugh

Reactions: inkmich

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
You're welcome.
2nd hand might be your only option for this particular item as they've been discontinued. However I think the LensBaby Composer with Tilt Transformer is the current version, and I believe it still accepts Nikon lenses.

Hugh

I don't think the Tilt Transformer is made at all anymore; it is "currently unavailable" or "discontinued" at places like Amazon and B&H for various mounts. LensBaby now markets the Composer Pro with a swappable optic system, so you can have one mount but swap in different focal lengths. I have the Sweet 35 and the Edge 80. They have several other lenses as well, some of which tilt/shift and some don't.

Reactions: Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
I don't think the Tilt Transformer is made at all anymore; it is "currently unavailable" or "discontinued" at places like Amazon and B&H for various mounts. LensBaby now markets the Composer Pro with a swappable optic system, so you can have one mount but swap in different focal lengths. I have the Sweet 35 and the Edge 80. They have several other lenses as well, some of which tilt/shift and some don't.
Yes, you're right :)
I read that the LensBaby optics aren't that good, so I'm quite happy using classic Nikon lenses that I can easily change the aperture with.

Hugh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.