Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Gondolier, Venice

D85_3057-XL.jpg

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
And now for something completely different .......

neweggbw1280.jpg

It's a fish egg , probably 2-3 days old . Taken with a 7D connected to a 1950-1960's vintage Unitron microscope via a Pentax M42 camera/microscope adapter and an eBay M42 to EOS adapter .5X eyepiece and 4X objective (20X total) . Shutter control via Canon's EOS Utility . ISO 800 , shutter speed 1/180 , aperture controlled via the microscope's substage iris .B/W conversion in ACR , cut down the red and orange channels saturation to bump up the detail of the small 'veins' around the embryo . You can seee the start of a spine arcing over the central blob .
Hey... it's snowing big time , there's nothing worth watching on TV , so gotta keep busy somehow .

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Just my opinion but i think thats the best of your 'Brean bunch' Thats a really nice shot, not sure what but something really works in that one for me. Well done.
Thanks. Funny isn't it. I wasn't really happy with this shot so nearly didn't post it.

I preferred the lone tree and the driftwood on the beach.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Reactions: mollyc

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
I'm getting better, I think, at these long-exposures. Got to two beaches yesterday that I'd been itching to visit for some LE's for ages now. Already had my shots in mind, went straight to where I imagined, fine-tuned my framings and POV's, took an exposure at 1/250th to verify my metering was accurate with the old LunaSix, then grabbed a 4.5 minute exposure at both locations. Job done in both cases with the first shot!

I probably could have spent ages at each location exploring other things, but my head was in the LE frame of mind and I didn't want to shift that focus. I'll be going back to both spots for some sunset shots in a while.

All in all, I only took 23 images visiting four locations. I had strict ideas already in mind for each venue and stuck to those, having already been to each before and investigated them thoroughly in the past.

Anyway, here is exhibit A.

_MG_9433-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest 16 Stop ND Filter, Manual/Bulb Mode, LunaSix Incident Metering
ISO 100, 24mm, f/11, 4.5 Minutes

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I'm getting better, I think, at these long-exposures. Got to two beaches yesterday that I'd been itching to visit for some LE's for ages now. Already had my shots in mind, went straight to where I imagined, fine-tuned my framings and POV's, took an exposure at 1/250th to verify my metering was accurate with the old LunaSix, then grabbed a 4.5 minute exposure at both locations. Job done in both cases with the first shot!

I probably could have spent ages at each location exploring other things, but my head was in the LE frame of mind and I didn't want to shift that focus. I'll be going back to both spots for some sunset shots in a while.

All in all, I only took 23 images visiting four locations. I had strict ideas already in mind for each venue and stuck to those, having already been to each before and investigated them thoroughly in the past.

Anyway, here is exhibit A.

_MG_9433-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 24-105mm f/4 L, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest 16 Stop ND Filter, Manual/Bulb Mode, LunaSix Incident Metering
ISO 100, 24mm, f/11, 4.5 Minutes
Print it big and hang it on a wall!

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Nice.
[doublepost=1515097474][/doublepost]
Makes me feel cold just looking at it.
[doublepost=1515097603][/doublepost]
I like it. I'd like to see more of the steel work on the left. Looks interesting.
Cheers AFB. Here's something from a few yards away that gives a better perspective. Comments always appreciated.

Under the arches mono
by another scotsman, on Flickr

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.