Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
2502958820_727b5aa947_b.jpg

Great location, Steamie, but there's something a bit odd about the far end of the cliffs... like there's no contrast, or maybe an HDR-type effect. Dunno... but it detracts from the pic (for me, anyway... ;))

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
"End Of The Road"

Thanks very much TommyD, Doylem, Father Jack & Kayes.

This one was also taken during my little trek on Saturday around the Scottish North coast.
Dunnet head is the most Northerly point on the British mainland anything above this is really just wee island's + the Orkneys and the Shetlands (which used to belong to Norway anyway).

Great Photo, even with the modern houses in the background.

I really like this one as well.​

Cheers Steamie .. :)

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
Great location, Steamie, but there's something a bit odd about the far end of the cliffs... like there's no contrast, or maybe an HDR-type effect. Dunno... but it detracts from the pic (for me, anyway... ;))

I can see what you mean. I'm not sure what caused it though the pic isn't hdr so i can only presume it's a lack of contrast or maybe a slight bit of glare (the clouds are a wee bit blown out just above it) :confused:

Thanks MD2427 :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
Seeing as this is a hot topic at the moment it would be sensible to suggest starting a thread over at Site and Forum Feedback, the correct place for things like this.

We like to hear members views about such issues, one point worth noting is that this thread is viewed by many who don't comment and I would like to invite all those who a.) participate in this thread b.) view this thread to comment there. Once someone has started the thread it would be best to post a link in here as well inviting members to comment.

Thanks for listening, mate! At least we can address the issue of quoted timg tags, and hopefully put it to bed.

Here is the link to the thumbnail <timg> tag topic in the "site and forum feedback" section:

Should the use of <timg> tags be allowed when quoting images in "Photo of the Day"

Great job. Now I encourage everyone who hates having the timg tagged pics removed from their post replies to click on the link, and voice their opinion.

I do agree this is not a discussion thread. However this is THE place to inform the users/members of this thread that the rules for quoting have been changed and explaining them why. Considering this thread has been going on like this since iGary started it almost 2 years ago (May 27, 2006).

Well, it has become a defacto 'discussion' thread, since folks comment on each others' pictures, and others ask for feedback... but I agree with what you're saying. Perhaps once the issue is addressed with the forum higher-ups, and some consensus is reached about the use of quoted images (whether they should be limited to thumbnails <'timg' tagged images> or some such thing) we can post the results back here on this thread via a link to the site and forum feedback discussion area. Maybe, finally... we can get everybody on the same page, so we don't go back all the way to seeing the same original sized pic reposted each time someone comments on it, especially several in a row. If we can all master the use of "multi-quotes" and "timg" tags, this place would rock! :)

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Now, Mr Bluebird, please tilt your head to the left and gaze at the camera....

p447049244.jpg

May 17th
A friend's porch in Pennsylvania
Nikon D300
Nikkor 300mm f/2.8 with 2x teleconverter
1/250 sec @ f/8
-2.3 EV
ISO: 640 (used Auto ISO because of continuously changing light)

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
Me too Clix Pix you get the awesome bird shots... must have the patience of a saint!:p I'm saving up for a weather-sealed 90-250mm f/2.8 that will give me an equivalent reach up to 1000mm with a 2x converter (4/3)... I'm only about $6 grand away from a surf photographer's wet dream!:D

Jan 30, 2006
Just picking up the slack for Doylem, here.:p

srf4real, your photos are always great!

One question I have always been curious about is, do you know the surfers? Or do you simply take photos of any surfer you see?

I am always quite shy about taking photos of people I don't know.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
srf4real, your photos are always great!

One question I have always been curious about is, do you know the surfers? Or do you simply take photos of any surfer you see?

I am always quite shy about taking photos of people I don't know.
Thank you Roco.:eek: Most of the time, I get the best action shots from various competitions that occur year round. This last one was taken at an Eastern Surfing Association contest at Sebastian Inlet Saturday. I do not know who this particular girl is, but I know people who do, and I won't hesitate to approach her and tell her about her pics once I find out where to contact her. I have met a lot more surfers by since I started offering my services, and not one has complained because I took a killer photo of them! Often parents approach me while I'm shooting pics to get my card and tell me which grommet belongs to them. It's been the neatest part of the whole thing getting involved in the 'network' next to letting these talented young stars have a look at themselves shredding in the water... their myspace is loaded with my images lol. I really only charge money when someone wants one printed for now. ;):)

mckvakk

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2005
Oslo, Norway
Long way down

Taken at Nydalen subway station in oslo. The light changes randomly (or triggered by something, i don't remember :p)

My mbp is in for repairs this week so i haven't been able to do anything with my photos, my mini is a nightmare when it comes to Lightroom.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
Hangin with my Peeps

The Red Knot, Calidris canutus rufa migrates more than 9,300 miles from South America to the Arctic to breed each year. The Ruddy Turnstone, Arenaria interpres joins the Red Knot and various other shorebird species, most notably the numerous difficult to differentiate smaller sandpipers known generically as "Peeps" on the Cape May peninsula due to an event that has been happening for quite some time- the Horseshoe crab lays its eggs on the shores of the Delaware bay and Cape May. Horseshoe crabs have remained basically unchanged since before the dinosaurs roamed the planet.

The days surrounding the last full moon in May are the confluence of migration and egg laying.

I missed high tide, so I missed the live crabs, and the beach areas are heavily roped off to ensure that the birds aren't disturbed in their layover. There's a moratorium on fishing for horseshoe crabs in New Jersey too.

Anyway, with all that said, here are some Ruddy Turnstones surrounding a Red Knot as they forage in the sand at the water's edge.- the inset is just a larger crop of the main picture.

Nikon D2x/Nikkor 400mm f/2.8 AF-S II

Attachments

• shorebirds-inset.jpg
    shorebirds-inset.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 104
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.