Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TommyD

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland.
"Eilean Donan Again"

Eilean Donan Again

I know I've posted shot's of this Castle before (I've taken shot's of it 3 times in the past year) However I much prefer the shot's I grabbed yesterday, it hadn't been my intention to visit here again so soon after the last time but when I passed it the lighting was just too good not to get out and take some shots.

Absolute cracker of a shot, but then, you know i love this one.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Absolute cracker of a shot, but then, you know i love this one.

^^^

Yeah, gorgeous shot, Steamie, taken at just the right time of the evening. Love the reflections too...

Ullswater, today...

ullswaterng6.jpg

HomeingPigeon

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
I always feel wierd posting in this thread because I don't feel my pictures are nearly as good as the others I see here. But my parents have convinced me to post this one.

Attachments

• DSC_0172.jpg
    DSC_0172.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 105

thejedipunk

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
California
HDRblackwhite.jpg

Canon PowerShot A400
HDR
f 5.6
5.91mm

This is my first time posting. It's also my first try at HDR. There exists a color version but I thought it wasn't as good as the b/w version. There's also more noise than a rock concert. Oh well, just experimenting.

I'll be posting some other pictures I've taken that I think are worth showing off. I'm currently saving up for a Canon 350D since I'm just a noob and I'm a little intimidated by what I've seen in this thread. I'll probably get the 18-55mm IS lens since after trying out the camera, my hand wasn't as steady as I thought I could get it. :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
on the subject of quoted images...

I'd really be interested to know in detail... what the problem is with quoted <timg> tagged images? No one has really explained what the objection to them is, and only speaking for myself, the removal of every single quoted image somehow makes reading this thread seem a lot less user-friendly than it used to be. Since I don't visit as frequently as I used to, when I return there are 3-4, or maybe even more new pages of posts, and many of them are comments about images, where the poster quoted a thumbnail version of the original picture they were referring to... except all the referred images have been snipped out. It makes the thread a pain in the @$$ to follow, and feels like a bunch of out of context comments. Yes, I know... I could just click on the link to the original post to see the picture in question, but that really interrupts the 'flow,' and I seldom bother. What happens to me, is that I begin to lose interest, because the forum starts to feel like there is some kind of 'enforcer' cracking a whip over all of us children who don't really know what's good for us. In a nutshell - it's a turnoff. If the place starts to feel like some nitkpicky rulebound club, I'd just as soon go play where I can let my hair down a bit...

So, what I need to counter the sense of 'big brother' ruling from on high, setting arbitrary rules just because he wants to, is some honest, reasonable explanation as to why quoted <timg> tags are a bad thing. Is it bandwidth? Is it file storage? Is it style? Is it just an obsession? What is it about quoted images, especially <timg> tagged images that is such a taboo? Sell me on the reasoning, and I'll buy it. Otherwise, it cramps my style. And speaking of bandwidth, isn't it more bandwidth consuming to have people reading this thread clicking on every original link just to be able to 'see' the pictures in question, than it would be just to have a thumbnail image show up on the replay post? And finally, if it really is bandwidth that's the problem, even when displayed images are mostly hosted on remote sites and linked to, then Macrumors.com needs to quit providing forums at all. Somehow I don't think bandwidth is the issue. So, Mods... enlighten me, please. :confused:

respectfully,
pdxflint

Jan 30, 2006

I agree that it should be permitted to quote the photo itself. It makes things easier for everyone.

Just one question: how do you make the quoted photo be small sized?

SolracSelbor

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2007
I'd really be interested to know in detail... what the problem is with quoted <timg> tagged images? No one has really explained what the objection to them is, and only speaking for myself, the removal of every single quoted image somehow makes reading this thread seem a lot less user-friendly than it used to be. Since I don't visit as frequently as I used to, when I return there are 3-4, or maybe even more new pages of posts, and many of them are comments about images, where the poster quoted a thumbnail version of the original picture they were referring to... except all the referred images have been snipped out. It makes the thread a pain in the @$$ to follow, and feels like a bunch of out of context comments. Yes, I know... I could just click on the link to the original post to see the picture in question, but that really interrupts the 'flow,' and I seldom bother. What happens to me, is that I begin to lose interest, because the forum starts to feel like there is some kind of 'enforcer' cracking a whip over all of us children who don't really know what's good for us. In a nutshell - it's a turnoff. If the place starts to feel like some nitkpicky rulebound club, I'd just as soon go play where I can let my hair down a bit...

So, what I need to counter the sense of 'big brother' ruling from on high, setting arbitrary rules just because he wants to, is some honest, reasonable explanation as to why quoted <timg> tags are a bad thing. Is it bandwidth? Is it file storage? Is it style? Is it just an obsession? What is it about quoted images, especially <timg> tagged images that is such a taboo? Sell me on the reasoning, and I'll buy it. Otherwise, it cramps my style. And speaking of bandwidth, isn't it more bandwidth consuming to have people reading this thread clicking on every original link just to be able to 'see' the pictures in question, than it would be just to have a thumbnail image show up on the replay post? And finally, if it really is bandwidth that's the problem, even when displayed images are mostly hosted on remote sites and linked to, then Macrumors.com needs to quit providing forums at all. Somehow I don't think bandwidth is the issue. So, Mods... enlighten me, please. :confused:

respectfully,
pdxflint

very well put! Maybe we can start a petition or a petition thread (would that any more helpful). Anyways, it's not xUKHCx's fault he's just doing what his boss is telling him to do. So, therefore, we must take our quarrel to the big guy and email the forum coordinator. Some people might think this is not as big of a deal, but I agree with pdxflint wholeheartedly and using timg tags should be allowed.

What do others think?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Is it bandwidth? Is it file storage?
It shouldn't be. None of the images are stored on the Macrumors servers (unless they're attached). When your web browser loads the page, it grabs the image off the specific servers they're hosted on (flickr, etc). As far as I know, they never go through the Macrumors servers at all. Also, since the TIMG tag just puts size constraints on the image via html, the images are most likely already cached on your computer.

And speaking of bandwidth, isn't it more bandwidth consuming to have people reading this thread clicking on every original link just to be able to 'see' the pictures in question, than it would be just to have a thumbnail image show up on the replay post?
Yes, that is true.

Some people might think this is not as big of a deal, but I agree with pdxflint wholeheartedly and using timg tags should be allowed.

What do others think?

I also think they should be allowed. Having the TIMG makes it a lot easier to read the thread, since you don't have to click on the link every time to see the photo that's being discussed. The photos are already going to be cached on the computer, so it's not using any more of my bandwidth too. As long as TIMG is used (and not IMG) so the page isn't stretched, it should be fine.

sidharth80

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Chicago,IL
streak of light

Please free to CC. Any comments would be highly appreciated.
This pic was taken from the field museum in chicago.

Attachments

• Streak of Light200818 - Version 2.jpg
    Streak of Light200818 - Version 2.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 97

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
HDRblackwhite.jpg
This is my first time posting. It's also my first try at HDR. There exists a color version but I thought it wasn't as good as the b/w version. There's also more noise than a rock concert. Oh well, just experimenting.

I'll be posting some other pictures I've taken that I think are worth showing off. I'm currently saving up for a Canon 350D since I'm just a noob and I'm a little intimidated by what I've seen in this thread. I'll probably get the 18-55mm IS lens since after trying out the camera, my hand wasn't as steady as I thought I could get it. :)

Don't be intimidated by the other pix in this thread. Everybody here can remember when they started taking pictures. :)

But I'd suggest, sincerely, that you learn a bit more about photography - composition, exposure, etc - before you try techniques such as HDR... 'cos whatever you've done to this pic is pretty horrible. :eek:

I agree about quoting images. On a photo forum, particularly, it makes sense to include a smaller version of the pix we're talking about. No need to quote the 'original' pic. If there's anyone on the forum who isn't aware, you just add 't' to the 'img' to make 'timg'... which converts the pic into a thumbnail. Can we all agree to do this??

thejedipunk

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
California
Don't be intimidated by the other pix in this thread. Everybody here can remember when they started taking pictures. :)

But I'd suggest, sincerely, that you learn a bit more about photography - composition, exposure, etc - before you try techniques such as HDR... 'cos whatever you've done to this pic is pretty horrible. :eek:

I like my picture! :)

But you're right. Like I said, I was only experimenting.

I really do want to get back into photography since I either didn't pay enough attention my college photo class or just didn't really understand it. Speaking of which, here is one from my class. I know it's way over exposed where the window is supposed to be but i thought the rest of it came out night. Please mind the scanner.

recordplayer.jpg

xcalibre

macrumors regular
May 18, 2007
dsc024rc3.jpg

Can't remember the name of this castle...that's Loch Ness in the background.
Can you put a name to it Steamie?

Steamie

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2006
Scotland
"End Of The Road"

2502958820_727b5aa947_b.jpg

Thanks very much TommyD, Doylem, Father Jack & Kayes.

This one was also taken during my little trek on Saturday around the Scottish North coast.
Dunnet head is the most Northerly point on the British mainland anything above this is really just wee island's + the Orkneys and the Shetlands (which used to belong to Norway anyway).

Great Photo, even with the modern houses in the background.

HILL of SLANE

Leica D-Lux 1

(click on pic for larger image)

I really like this one as well.

md2427

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2008
Manchester UK
"Eilean Donan Again"

I know I've posted shot's of this Castle before (I've taken shot's of it 3 times in the past year) However I much prefer the shot's I grabbed yesterday, it hadn't been my intention to visit here again so soon after the last time but when I passed it the lighting was just too good not to get out and take some shots.​

Steamie - fantastic shot/lighting again!​

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
email the forum coordinator.

Seeing as this is a hot topic at the moment it would be sensible to suggest starting a thread over at Site and Forum Feedback, the correct place for things like this.

We like to hear members views about such issues, one point worth noting is that this thread is viewed by many who don't comment and I would like to invite all those who a.) participate in this thread b.) view this thread to comment there. Once someone has started the thread it would be best to post a link in here as well inviting members to comment.

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
Seeing as this is a hot topic at the moment it would be sensible to suggest starting a thread over at Site and Forum Feedback, the correct place for things like this.

We like to hear members views about such issues, one point worth noting is that this thread is viewed by many who don't comment and I would like to invite all those who a.) participate in this thread b.) view this thread to comment there. Once someone has started the thread it would be best to post a link in here as well inviting members to comment.

I do agree this is not a discussion thread. However this is THE place to inform the users/members of this thread that the rules for quoting have been changed and explaining them why. Considering this thread has been going on like this since iGary started it almost 2 years ago (May 27, 2006).

Anyhow, I will be a fungi from now on.. (whoohah, bad pun)
IMG_3588.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.