Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
My wife called these "marshmallows" I dont know what they are, they were growing in a swamp.

marshmallow.jpg

marshmallow2.jpg

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Well let me remind the people again of the rule, one photo a day people. Please don't let the recent trend of multiple photos from a single day continue

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Mine is one photo I just cropped it.
Lol, good point. Guess I shall rephrase, a single post with a single IMG file ;) People can still post the next one the following day :D

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
April was not particularly good to me regarding butterfly macros, but May has definitely made up for it. This is an uncropped shot, taken with a canon XTi, 100mm macro and 68mm of extension tubes.

I love how you made the eyes really pop on this little guy! Great composition too, especially considering it's not cropped.

Here's a little guy I caught on his way to a meal.
C&C appreciated!

3477323816_b2736e6d21_b.jpg

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
I love blue. Cool shot...
:D

Thank you gkarris. I just wish i knew what i was trying to do when i edit the raws. Like is the histogram supposed to look a certain way, or what? Basically how do i know i editted correctly other than looking at the final product and going... "Yeah, i guess that's it".

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Thank you gkarris. I just wish i knew what i was trying to do when i edit the raws. Like is the histogram supposed to look a certain way, or what? Basically how do i know i editted correctly other than looking at the final product and going... "Yeah, i guess that's it".

There are 3 main things you need to know and do when editing your raws, unfortunately, nobody knows what they are... :eek:

(yeah, I guess that's it...) ;)

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Somehow I missed these shots at the bottom of the page from yesterday.

attachment.php

Haven't posted in probably a year. :p

No name, no photoshop except WB, and a slight adjustment to the colour yellow. I took these photos of my step-dad's flowers in my parents' bedroom. These were taken 3 weeks ago, maybe?

He asked me to take a few photos of the flowers so that he can show someone, and so I did. However, when I started to shoot, I went a bit nuts with the photos. :eek:

Looks a bit too soft overall (could be due to compression), but I love the reflections!

Two images today, but exactly the same subject, so I hope that's OK. ;)

They kinda sum up what I feel about light: it's nature's Photoshop...

churchdark.jpg
churchlight.jpg

I had been planning to do an example like this myself for the photography club I joined. Most of the people in the club are just beginning and are still using point-and-shoot cameras without much concern for light or composition. So I was planning to do a good-vs-bad light comparison to include with my PowerPoint presentation on composition. I hope you wouldn't mind me sharing these photos with them.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
I had been planning to do an example like this myself for the photography club I joined. Most of the people in the club are just beginning and are still using point-and-shoot cameras without much concern for light or composition. So I was planning to do a good-vs-bad light comparison to include with my PowerPoint presentation on composition. I hope you wouldn't mind me sharing these photos with them.

That's fine: just the usual fee... ;)

treesilhouette.jpg

dllavaneras

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
Caracas, Venezuela
I love how you made the eyes really pop on this little guy! Great composition too, especially considering it's not cropped.

Here's a little guy I caught on his way to a meal.
C&C appreciated!

I'm really glad you liked my pic! Working with extension tubes is actually pretty hard, but nothing compared to getting a butterfly in midair. Congrats!

These are my babies: Kissing bugs, Panstrongylus geniculatus, vectors for Chagas disease (I'm studying their feeding behavior for my thesis).

Attachments

• P geniculatus 01.jpg
    P geniculatus 01.jpg
    265.6 KB · Views: 81

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
That's fine: just the usual fee... ;)

Great. :) Just put it on my tab. ;)

If you happen to have a comparison of harsh light versus vs. golden early morning/late afternoon light, I hope you'll post that one too! :D

If anyone is wondering what place lighting comparisons have in a presentation on composition, the answer is none, really. Nonetheless, I really want to include a preface and perhaps also an afterword on light to emphasize that no amount of good composition can make up for bad light. Light is of course a topic that really deserves a presentation of its own, and I may well do one in a subsequent meeting, even though that presentation would be better handled by a landscape photographer like Doylem. I'll gladly give it my best shot, though...fools rush in where angels fear to tread...:D

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
These are my babies: Kissing bugs, Panstrongylus geniculatus, vectors for Chagas disease (I'm studying their feeding behavior for my thesis).

Nice photo (very unpleasant disease)! This is some of my thesis work...

A very talented microscopist (not me) took this for me on a scanning electron microscope. The subject is a Streptomyces coelicolor colony, and the diameter of the photo is about 0.009mm across!

Back to the 'proper' photos next time;)

Attachments

• Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 106

nikkosucky

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2009
Just getting started with a digital SLR. Here is my first post. Criticism encouraged.

Attachments

• Blossom.jpg
    Blossom.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.