Photo of the Day - October 2009

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by TheSVD, Oct 1, 2009.

1. adwolfe12 macrumors newbie

One of the first pictures taken with my new Rebel XS. A little over exposed but I think it looks cool.
    [​IMG]
    Alex

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

The last few days have brought some great shots to this thread!

Thanks, Dale. I've recently had to photograph a lot of moving subjects, and it's definitely something that I find challenging. The statues I photograph require a lot less from my equipment, and they strike much better poses than real people tend to do!

A shot taken last night:
    (I wasn't able to get out during the day and had an itchy shutter finger to appease)

[​IMG]

3. AlexH macrumors 68020

AlexH

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Local Civil War Reinactment.

The US Army sent some troops out that dressed up as US Calvary and did a demonstration. They were great!

Olympus E-420, Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1.7/50mm (100mm equivalent) at f4.0, 1/1000, ISO100, Fotodiox C/Y to 4/3 Adapter :D

[​IMG]

5. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Too bad i dont have Doylem's patience. Then maybe the boat on the far right would have been in the light and made this image better.... or maybe not, either way im pleased with the results.

[​IMG]

Would it be possible to get a hi-res for wallpaper on my macbook?

6. mikeschmeee macrumors 6502a

[​IMG]

I'm really hyped on reflection photography. I love the way they turn out. I think this one is pretty neat.
    Somewhere in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
    Anyone know what that building is called?

Cheers
    Mike

7. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Ooooh, I have to agree that having the boat in the spotlight would be divine.

Sure, just pm me the resolution you need. :)

8. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

Henry M. Jackson Visitor Center
    Mt. Rainier National Park

[​IMG]

Dale

9. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Nice! Those clouds look really great / clear. I've only been off the mainland a few times so I have no idea what building that is though.

10. tonyeck macrumors 6502

tonyeck

Some great shots from you guys so far this month!

[​IMG]

Here is one of mine

View this photo large!

I am currently redesigning my portfolio at www.tonyeckersley.com to more of my focus while I develop my photography business. One of the cool things about portfolio picking is revisiting photos taken years ago that have almost been forgotten.

Here is a photo that really fits in that category! Back in August 2006 on my first trip across country with a DSLR, we stayed in Yellowstone for a few days. It's one of the most unique places on earth and I recommend checking out the BBC documentary "Yellowstone" if you get the chance...

This day was our first day in Yellowstone, and was the perfect way to end it. The setting sun behind the clouds illuminated the horizon like I had never seen before creating these amazing horizontal sun rays across the sky.

11. feuerschlange macrumors regular

shooting more film recently

1. "Park Hotel" Shanghai

[​IMG]
    Leica M6, 50 lux ASPH, Tri-X 400 @ISO 3200 and pushed further in Lightroom

2. "night delivery" Shanghai

[​IMG]

Leica M6, 50 lux ASPH, Tri-X 400 @ISO 3200 and pushed further in Lightroom

3. "mobile ride" Shanghai

[​IMG]

Leica M6, 50 lux ASPH, Tri-X 400 @ISO 3200 and pushed in Lightroom to ISO 6400 (!!!)

The last one really had me stumped, as I usually use a D3 for low light city shots. I shoot more film since a few weeks and was quite surprised, how much information film holds, even under such difficult lighting. My DSLRs collect dust, since I bought a used Leica and just one lens.

If 3 photos are not allowed in this thread, just take "Park Hotel" :rolleyes:

12. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

Amazing portfolio. Not only the photos, but the website itself!

13. oblomow macrumors 68030

oblomow

14. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

Great shot, I like the DOF as it is!

15. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

I love this little guy :). Which Hollywood movie are you referring to, btw? It strikes me as "Where The Wild Things Are" but that was a book LONG before it was a movie. A movie I'm looking forward to!

I like the zoo set up here, the cheetahs actually have their food hauled around on a cable so they have to chase it and get some exercise! Here's just a simple shot of one walking away into a blurred out background. Wish the focus was just a touch further away than it is.

[​IMG]

I really need to get Photoshop, I almost never adjust anything on a pic (nothing here), and the most I ever do is crop them.

16. oblomow macrumors 68030

oblomow

I was more thinking about fictitious furry friends like in Gremlins

Why do you need ps if you never edit your pictures?

17. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Gremlins! I always wanted a pet Mogwai.

It's not that I don't edit my photos because I don't think it would help. I don't edit them because I don't have any good software for it, and don't know how to use photo editing software at all. I need to get it and need to learn so I can improve my pics.

18. loderunner macrumors newbie

less air, perhaps?

Hi,

this picture caught my eye; beautiful scenery and colors!
    However, I couldn't help wondering about the enormous amount of fairly evenly textured sky dominating the picture.

you might perhaps consider cropping (if that it not against your principles ;-) ); I was so curious, I just made an attempt; I hope you don't mind others messing up your pictures.

I would be curious to hear opinions; it could be just a matter of differing taste?

Attached Files:

19. Dont42Panic macrumors newbie

Am I the only geek that saw this image and immediately thought of the TV show Fringe? The sign looks like something they would show when they switched cities.

20. yaroldb macrumors 6502

Wow, this is great. Good job...

21. BarryJ macrumors 6502a

BarryJ

Huron Shore

Last October. Lake Huron, north shore at Lauzon creek.

Attached Files:

22. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The interesting elements for me are the tonalities and textures in the foreground. Especially in the grass and water. That makes me prefer the crop to the original, even though the crop tends to put the horizon rather close to the center line of the frame.

Dale