Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Great Falls is the closest National Park to where I live and I really enjoy it there over the fall and winter period.

"At Great Falls, the Potomac River builds up speed and force as it falls over a series of steep, jagged rocks and flows through the narrow Mather Gorge. The Patowmack Canal offers a glimpse into the early history of this country. Great Falls Park has many opportunities to explore history and nature, all in a beautiful 800-acre park only 15 miles from the Nation’s Capital."

http://www.nps.gov/grfa/index.htm

Fall brings some wonderful colors to the area (like most places!) while winter brings more water down the falls making them very rough, dangerous, and beautiful.

This photo was taken the first weekend I got my 5D mark II and I used a wide angle lens and a slow shutter to show the movement in the water.

Wonderful. I love the hues... I feel like renting a 5D now... :D

Flagstaff AZ
_MG_6536Grandcanyon%20%281%29.jpg

Canon 5D
105mm
f/10
1/640
ISO 1000

Nice work, Mr. Adams... ;)

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003

I really like the green in this photo, and how it is just bulging out at you.

Self portrait (well, kinda, actually taken by the girlfriend), and finally starting to edit my photos. I spent a whole 45 seconds on this one in iPhoto :eek:.

3990773513_695b451dd9_b.jpg

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
Here's my most recent from close to peak color in the UP: I played with it a touch in photoshop (because I like saturation and because the camera I used was the worst casio P+S I've ever used).

attachment.php

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Doylem, stunning as always. Great (interesting) to see something different from you. You seem to really master just about anything you shoot.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
I really like the green in this photo, and how it is just bulging out at you.

Self portrait (well, kinda, actually taken by the girlfriend), and finally starting to edit my photos. I spent a whole 45 seconds on this one in iPhoto :eek:.

A bit more time in PhotoShop.:eek:
The highlight on the left hand makes it a bit difficult. It it goes darker to bring out the green, the hand is distracting.

Dale

BTW Nice shoes.

Attachments

• 3990773513_695b451dd9_b.jpg
    839.2 KB · Views: 76

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Dude, is that an amanita?! :eek:

I looked it up in one of my Peterson Guides and it sure looks like one. Probably a Panthercap, which is native to Canada.

For those interested, amanita are poisonous mushrooms commonly called Death Caps...

Dale, who always buys his mushrooms in the store.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Philippine public transport.

3944311180_ea362b44ce_o.jpg

Super shot! Did you accomplish this motion effect by panning or by zooming?

Found this guy wandering around outside.

3991512797_2de0f09f18.jpg

** Feel free to comment and critique. I could use it =) **

This is a "wow" shot in my book, even with the rather centered subject. The other elements in the frame help to give the whole a certain dynamism, and the lighting and colors are really terrific. Well done!

SelfMadeCelo

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Tulare, CA
This is a "wow" shot in my book, even with the rather centered subject. The other elements in the frame help to give the whole a certain dynamism, and the lighting and colors are really terrific. Well done!

Wow thanks! I was worried it was a little too centered but I think if I crop out the flower a little it'll end up losing some of its touch. I think I'll play with a bit and see what happens. =)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
2. "night delivery" Shanghai

TX400_028.jpg

Leica M6, 50 lux ASPH, Tri-X 400 @ISO 3200 and pushed further in Lightroom

3. "mobile ride" Shanghai

TX400_031%20ISO6400.jpg

Leica M6, 50 lux ASPH, Tri-X 400 @ISO 3200 and pushed in Lightroom to ISO 6400 (!!!)

The last one really had me stumped, as I usually use a D3 for low light city shots. I shoot more film since a few weeks and was quite surprised, how much information film holds, even under such difficult lighting. My DSLRs collect dust, since I bought a used Leica and just one lens.

I like these last two. I have often wanted to go back and get a simple camera with a great, fast normal lens, no autowind, fully manual... and do what you're doing. I used to push tri-x and hp5 to 3200 fairly regularly using T-max developer - worked quite well. I'd also push develop t-max 3200 another stop or two when needed - grainy and fairly contrasty... but combined with a fast lens one could literally shoot in the dark...handheld. Anyway, I envy you the M6. Nice little piece of mechanical technology. :)

Just love her expression...! Kids are such naturals, if you can capture it.

Something for those who are considering photographing a wedding...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8292164.stm

I have a couple of friends who make a good living doing weddings, but... you really have to consider a lot of things. So, in that spirit, I'll also provide a few links which might be useful for anyone here considering trying their hand in this 'genre.'

http://www.wppionline.com/newsletter/October2009/IN-STUDIO-ON-SCREEN.aspx

http://www.markgardnerphotography.com/blog/facts-about-photographers/
(fairly informative photographer's blog site for comparative purposes)

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2251
(fairly brief article by a young photographer, Craig Mitchelldyer. Interestingly, on a personal note, I hired Craig to work for me when he was a high school senior in 1998. He was interested in photojournalism, and I needed a stringer to help cover high school sports and some features for the two newspapers we published, so I brought him on board. With a little mentoring and lots of critiquing, he took the bull by the horns and 5 years later added weddings to his repertoire of freelance editorial work. Now he's 29, and has figured it out, and in addition to the work he does for his clients, he puts on free photo workshops which bring in top local professional photographers, as well as pros from around the country as presenters and are always filled to capacity. At a recent Mitchelldyer workshop, David Bergman, a New York top freelancer who shoots for Sports Illustrated and Rolling Stone, as well as being the tour photographer for Bare Naked Ladies rock band, was the keynote presenter, finishing the day with an outdoor remote lighting hands-on workshop, complete with a rock band as subjects. Canon and several other companies, including Pro Photo Supply usually sponsor Mitchelldyer's events, which underwrites the expenses, thus: free to attendees! ;))

Okay... mine for today... ;-)

Edge of clearcut

PHR_8919.JPG

Model: NIKON D300
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/125 sec
Aperture: 6.7
Focal Length: 80mm

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
DoFoT9 - Ha! They're actually decent for tennis shoes, which is kinda what you want when doing taiji. Something that's soft and offers support for the bottom of the foot ;).

Designer Dale - Yeah, I agree. The upper hand was really bothering me, but I didn't know how to correct that in iPhoto. It was worse when I started, though, and I spent less than a minute on it.

Good news, though! I have PS CS4 now! Just got it an hour or two ago, along with Illustrator.

kimberlygfeller

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2009
Wow, what great shots you all have posted!

I am an amateur, but I guess i'll post one of my favorite shots from this past month anyways!

Attachments

• Heather-Caleb-Peirces 032.jpg
    Heather-Caleb-Peirces 032.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 101

otter

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2006
Darwin, NT
Super shot! Did you accomplish this motion effect by panning or by zooming?

Thanks! It was neither, actually. I was riding in the back of another vehicle and let the motion of the vehicle create the blurring effect. So I guess then it was a 'modified' panning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.