Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel Hood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
Yesterday I upgraded mine and my wife's phones from previous versions of iPhone to iPhone X. Her old phone was 128 gb, the phones I upgraded to are 64. Turns out her current phone is using 70, 50 of which are pictures.

I upgraded the icloud storage so all her photos are in icloud, I thought that would free up space on the phone to get it under 64 so that I could take the back up and set up her new phone using around 20 of the 64 gigs. I was wrong, it's still showing as using all 70.

Is there a way to keep the photos visible on her phone but not taking up space on her phone?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
In the settings of the phone, for either iCloud or Photos, can't remember, there's a setting called "Optimise storage", which will keep low resolution versions on the phon, and full resolution in iCloud, so you can see a quick preview of the photo locally, but it goes to iCloud to get the full quality version

Daniel Hood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2015
I have that setting enabled. It does say underneath that option that it's for "if the phone is low on storage", technically the phone that we're backing up isnn't low on space, does that mean it isn't going to do it?

However, It's only showing 30g of photos in icloud and 53g on the phone. Does that basically just mean I need to give it more time to work?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I have that setting enabled. It does say underneath that option that it's for "if the phone is low on storage", technically the phone that we're backing up isnn't low on space, does that mean it isn't going to do it?

However, It's only showing 30g of photos in icloud and 53g on the phone. Does that basically just mean I need to give it more time to work?

You have a point - Optimised storage doesn't kick in before it needs to... In that case, I may be a bit out of my depth actually. Maybe it could auto detect that the 64GB model would need optimised storage? Dunno.

That does seem like it isn't done syncing yet, yes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.