Photo viewing program (Alternative to Preview)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by giyad, Nov 14, 2007.

1. giyad macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

This is probably fixed in Leopard, but I still run Tiger so I was hoping someone could point me towards an alternative to Preview? I hate the fact that I open a folder containing pictures (which aren't imported to iPhoto), and i have to select all the photos in order for them to be viewable in the same window in Preview. I know I know, im lazy, but seriously, you don't need to have that extra step in order to be able to scroll through the pictures. On Windows you just double click the picture and then all you have to do is click left or right to view the next photo in the folder. Is there any program strictly for viewing photos like preview?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Is it really that much work to do Apple+A, Apple+O?

3. cornopaez macrumors regular

cornopaez

Leopard does have a little nice feature called Quick Look (hit space bar while having one or more items highlighted). This allows you to open files without having to open a full blown application (pics without having to open Preview, for example) :D...

any suggestions for Tiger? anyone?

4. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The closest thing to QuickLook in Tiger is Slideshow. Select all the images, then right-click and view as Slideshow. It has autoplay, forward/back controls, and an index (displays all the images like a light-table).

5. crazycap macrumors member

a program called "justlooking" does exactly what you want http://chipmunkninja.com/justlooking

6. giyad thread starter macrumors regular

7. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Man, that is some nice looking eye candy and actually useful like XP's program! This is even available in mail on attachments!

8. hector macrumors regular

9. jamerson9 macrumors newbie

10. Mekgek macrumors member

Can't believe apple still hasn't made it possible to browse through a folder of images easily like with Xee, it's such a simple feature to implement....

Okay it kinda works with Quicklook, but if you have the folder on icon view its really annoying because it stops when you get to the right side...

Silly Apple:mad:

11. skybolt macrumors 6502a

Why not just use iPhoto? Great for viewing your photos. Why get another program when you already have a good one?

12. Mekgek macrumors member

Because I have a lot of 'work related' images (not photographs) on my computer, I use iPhoto for my photo's, I don't want to mix these up with work stuff.

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Coverflow makes it dead easy to browse a folder of images quickly.

14. AppleMactablet macrumors regular

AppleMactablet

That's "just looking" was GREAT-Just what I wanted, to simplify it-I hide the menu and took off the fade effect from photo to photo-Works great! Thanks

15. PlunderDome macrumors newbie

Image capture

Try Image capture.....I hate iphoto...it doubles up photots on you, therefore doubleing up memory......and when you rem=name it, it only renames inside of iphoto.......Image capture is a little better, also theres a option in image capture that lets you STOP the auto start for iphoto.

16. PlunderDome macrumors newbie

cover flow

ya cover flow is the easyiest

QUOTE=Cromulent;4546412]Coverflow makes it dead easy to browse a folder of images quickly.[/QUOTE]

17. nesuser2 macrumors 6502

nesuser2

how do you use coverflow to show the images? I'm guessing this is a built in function and not a program...googled it and didn't find much other than itunes coverflow!