Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

PhotoFast 4K Video Capture and Storage Kit Now Available at Apple Stores

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gigastone recently announced its MFi-certified PhotoFast 4K Video Capture and Storage Kit is now available exclusively through Apple's online storefront and at select Apple retail locations in the United States.

The kit includes a Lightning to microSD card reader, 64GB microSD card with U3 speeds, SD card adapter, and keychain leash, ideal for capturing 4K video and high-resolution images from an action camera or drone and saving or viewing the content immediately after on an iPhone or iPad.

The kit requires using an app, namely the PhotoFast LIFE app, available for free on the App Store [Direct Link], as is always the case with external storage accessories. If needed, the MicroSD-to-SD adapter connects the reader to SD card slots on most MacBook Pro models for transferring 4K videos and photos to the desktop.

Gigastone's PhotoFast 4K Video Capture and Storage Kit is $79.95 on Apple's website.

Article Link: PhotoFast 4K Video Capture and Storage Kit Now Available at Apple Stores

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Reader? So the iPhone needs a proprietary connector to read SD cards and I still can't offload iPhone pics to that card?

Comment

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Reader? So the iPhone needs a proprietary connector to read SD cards and I still can't offload iPhone pics to that card?

Because iOS is, and likely always wil be, - crippled os without basic abilities to easily move files from one place to another. Unless of course you want to put your privacy at risk and use icloud, but besides security, icloud does not allow the ability to manage your stuff file by file, and can be buggy besides.
Theres probably a book called 'iOS for dummies'. They should just rename it 'iOS IS for dummies'

Comment

bsbeamer

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2012
how is this any better then the GoPro Quik Key?
http://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/quik-key-iphoneipad-mobile-microsd-card-reader/AMCRL-001.html

They need to figure out a way to offload photos/video FROM iPhone to these cards to make them professional-ready if people want to ever seriously consider using iPhones vs dedicated cameras for professional/semi-professional use on a regular basis. Yes, good tools and readily available. Yes, can do great things with the camera. Yes, can get great footage, but the recording limits are terrible with built-in storage only.

Comment

Rocketman

macrumors 603
http://shop.gopro.com/accessories-2/quik-key-iphoneipad-mobile-microsd-card-reader/AMCRL-001.html

They need to figure out a way to offload photos/video FROM iPhone to these cards to make them professional-ready if people want to ever seriously consider using iPhones vs dedicated cameras for professional/semi-professional use on a regular basis. Yes, good tools and readily available. Yes, can do great things with the camera. Yes, can get great footage, but the recording limits are terrible with built-in storage only.
I offload my files to my Mac using an app called SyncPhotos which goes via wifi to a Mac folder.

Comment

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
You can use the generic SD card reader from Apple. I think you need an app to move them from iOS to whatever storage you're using.

Comment

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It's more expensive, which of course means it's better. :-/

The only possible difference is that Photofast is advertising itself as being able to *capture* video directly, whereas the GoPro says it's for use as a simple storage device. I would guess that's what the Photofast app is for.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Because iOS is, and likely always wil be, - crippled os without basic abilities to easily move files from one place to another. Unless of course you want to put your privacy at risk and use icloud, but besides security, icloud does not allow the ability to manage your stuff file by file, and can be buggy besides.
Theres probably a book called 'iOS for dummies'. They should just rename it 'iOS IS for dummies'

Love it! You nailed it. That's exactly how those people sound. They don't even realize how funny it is.

Comment

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
You can use the generic SD card reader from Apple. I think you need an app to move them from iOS to whatever storage you're using.

You can move it directly to an iPad.
[doublepost=1475517419][/doublepost]
I offload my files to my Mac using an app called SyncPhotos which goes via wifi to a Mac folder.

Actually a device like this makes it even more compelling to add a Lightning port to the Macs, at least for quick file transfers. wifi is great, but the size of 4K video files will take some time to transfer. I have a Patriot wifi storage drive now for my iOS devices, but it's not great for transferring large files quickly.

Comment

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
Or Apple can get with the new times and make iDevices with removeable SD cards already! This is ridiculous, it's 2016 and Apple is still holding out on all of its top dollar paying customers.

Comment

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Or Apple can get with the new times and make iDevices with removeable SD cards already! This is ridiculous, it's 2016 and Apple is still holding out on all of its top dollar paying customers.

I doubt they will do it now. Seems like the path is toward eliminating ports. Once the SIM card goes to an eSIM, there's very little else left. Adding an easy to access SD card slot would be the opposite of where they seem to be headed ...

Reactions: Applebot1
Comment

Phil in ocala

Suspended
Jul 14, 2016

Gigastone recently announced its MFi-certified PhotoFast 4K Video Capture and Storage Kit is now available exclusively through Apple's online storefront and at select Apple retail locations in the United States.

The kit includes a Lightning to microSD card reader, 64GB microSD card with U3 speeds, SD card adapter, and keychain leash, ideal for capturing 4K video and high-resolution images from an action camera or drone and saving or viewing the content immediately after on an iPhone or iPad.

The kit requires using an app, namely the PhotoFast LIFE app, available for free on the App Store [Direct Link], as is always the case with external storage accessories. If needed, the MicroSD-to-SD adapter connects the reader to SD card slots on most MacBook Pro models for transferring 4K videos and photos to the desktop.

Gigastone's PhotoFast 4K Video Capture and Storage Kit is $79.95 on Apple's website.

Article Link: PhotoFast 4K Video Capture and Storage Kit Now Available at Apple Stores
[doublepost=1475525037][/doublepost]If apple was smart...they would build and sell a reliable USB Hub, that never tells you there is not enough power etc....every Mac user does not have enough USB ports...Apple ignores this need.....

Comment

Teon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2016
[doublepost=1475525037][/doublepost]If apple was smart...they would build and sell a reliable USB Hub, that never tells you there is not enough power etc....every Mac user does not have enough USB ports...Apple ignores this need.....
I agree
as regards ports - Apple has always led policy. It's not comfortable, do not they understand? or any complaint? No, f***

Comment

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003

There are lots of technical reasons why they don't do that, the main three being security, user experience, and performance. Some issues:

• flash durability
  • handling ejection
  • performance issues (flash isn't all Class 10/UHS 1)
  • handling failure
  • encrypting and securing it
You might argue that Apple doesn't have to encrypt it, or guarantee that it's fast enough, or whatever. You'd be wrong. Apple has an implicit guarantee that the stock phone, as-is, will work well enough.

If I was going to wish for something, I'd wish for a multi-million powerball win, because it's more likely than Apple reducing the implicit performance guarantees embedded in their design.

Reactions: macs4nw
Comment

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
There are lots of technical reasons why they don't do that, the main three being security, user experience, and performance. Some issues:

• flash durability
  • handling ejection
  • performance issues (flash isn't all Class 10/UHS 1)
  • handling failure
  • encrypting and securing it
You might argue that Apple doesn't have to encrypt it, or guarantee that it's fast enough, or whatever. You'd be wrong. Apple has an implicit guarantee that the stock phone, as-is, will work well enough.

If I was going to wish for something, I'd wish for a multi-million powerball win, because it's more likely than Apple reducing the implicit performance guarantees embedded in their design.
Its ok buddy. You dont need to make excuses and defend Apple. I use both iOS and Android. You can't tell me that one company can figure it out while the other can't. The issues you bring up are non existent on Android, so I'm not sure why you mention them being a problem on iOS.

Comment

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Actually a device like this makes it even more compelling to add a Lightning port to the Macs, at least for quick file transfers. wifi is great, but the size of 4K video files will take some time to transfer. I have a Patriot wifi storage drive now for my iOS devices, but it's not great for transferring large files quickly.
But you know Apple will never cede access to the file system. Those bitche$.

SyncPhotos.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.