Photographer - Upgraded to 256 GB iPhone 7 from 6S Plus & Unhappy!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by talkingtree, Dec 21, 2016.

1. talkingtree macrumors newbie

talkingtree

Dear iPhone Users,

I'm feeling like Apple sold me a little short on their smaller iPhone 7... I wanted to upgrade to this phone because I was initially excited that the smaller 7 now incorporated a better camera and and also incorporated Optical Image Stabilization that wasn't available in the regular iPhone 6S last year which is the reason I had to opt out for the plus. Then I found out that they had changed that in the latest 7 and I wanted to get back to a smaller and more portable phone.

Immediately I noticed that my images looked degraded on the new iPhone 7 and upon doing some serious research, I found out that the iPhone 7's LCD screen is only 326 PPI while the 7 Plus model has a screen density of 401 PPI which is quite a few more pixels per square inch! So not only is the iPhone 7 Plus's screen much bigger, it's also more dense and far more sharper!!! I guess the iPhone 6S Plus spoiled me not only with a larger screen but also with more pixels per square inch...!? Which leads to another question: Why in the hell did Apple not integrate a slightly higher quality screen @401 PPI on the smaller iPhone 7 to maximize the screen quality of the smaller space?

Can anyone tell me why Apple is not more up front about this... I feel like the iPhone 7 doesn't have a screen truly worth being called a retina and now I'm suffering buyer's remorse for failing to not stick with the Plus model of the newest iPhone...

What's your thoughts?

Nate

2. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

TL;DR ... "I didn't do any research and I'm unhappy and it's all Apple's fault."

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would have to say you failed to do any homework and screwed up.

Hard to see how you could blame Apple.

4. talkingtree thread starter macrumors newbie

talkingtree

I guess I had to much faith in Apple that they were on top of their game!? lol

5. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

Or you didn't research.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Do not want to hurt your feelings but this DPI difference between the 7 and 7+ is pretty well known.

It is not Apple that is not on their game . . . . .

If you just bought it, return it and get the 7+.

7. talkingtree thread starter macrumors newbie

talkingtree

or the fact that Apple simply calls both screens sizes "HD Retinas"?
    --- Post Merged, Dec 21, 2016 ---
    I can't because I'm not going to pay a $35 restocking fee that Sprint requires for a simple exchange... :/

8. AppleB macrumors 6502

AppleB

OP why did you research the screen specs after purchasing the 7 if that's a important factor to you?
    I can understand not being satisfied with a particular screen resolution but it's right there in the tech specs on the iPhone 7 Apple Store page.

9. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

So for $35 you are going to keep a phone that makes you unhappy. Maybe you need to think about this for a while. $35 is not bad to learn a valuable lesson. The 7+ camera is pretty darn nice, I love mine.

10. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

If you even looked in the Apple Store app it says right there what the dpi of each is.

Attached Files:

11. talkingtree thread starter macrumors newbie

talkingtree

I'm just simply pondering all of this and I think Apple seriously sold the iPhone 7 short when they could have implemented a better screen at 401 PPI in a smaller space. It would have been perfect then...
    Yup that's where I received the revelation after the fact... lol

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I think I would still pay the $35 but that is up to you. Looking at your avatar, you do not look like you are from around here.

13. talkingtree thread starter macrumors newbie

talkingtree

You are correct. I'm an alien hybrid human from Serpo in Zeta Reticuli currently hanging out in Southern Utah!

14. skyperbon macrumors regular

Umm... It's clearly mentioned in the Tech Spec Page of the iPhone 7.

Should have done a bit more research before before you bought a new one.

Attached Files:

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Apple call any phone screen over 300ppi "retina" (it's purely a marketing term) - the resolution of these screens has been the same since these size phones were introduced

16. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

At 65 I lost a lot more than that learning "life" lessons--Feel for the OP: but if those factors were so important, should have researched and played with one.

17. talkingtree thread starter macrumors newbie

talkingtree

Thanks for letting me know... lol
    You wouldn't believe me if I told you I'm over a century old but relatively new to Earth and it's many cultures! ;)

18. StayPuft Suspended

StayPuft

The resolution has been different on both phones for several years now. And "Retina" is a term that's been used since the 4S.

19. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

Sorry for your predicament OP. I would bite the 35.00 and get what you want.

Oh, and welcome to the Forum. It is not the "kinder, gentler" board of bygone days--;):):):)

20. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Then Merry Christmas!

21. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I went to a Pixel from my 6s+ and I had a similar experience. Smaller phones have less PPI and I can't stand them (seriously affects readability) - that and their battery life difference is very noticeable. My wife is the same (even though she's half my size) - she can never go back :).

22. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Actually that's incorrect. The Google Pixel is the same resolution as the 6S+ in a smaller package. Therefore has a higher pixel density of 441 compared to 401. It's all about the resolution on a given screen size.

23. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

What I meant to say is the Pixel vs the Pixel XL. Comparing the Pixel to the Pixel XL. The pixel density difference is enough to bother me. So I couldn't ever go back to a smaller model.

24. noobinator macrumors 601

You don't want to spend $35 to avoid 1 or 2 years of using a product you consider inferior?

25. Stevessvt macrumors 6502

Ooohhh,....yeah that makes more sense.