Photokina: Adobe Releases Lightroom Beta 4

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
i would just like to say that the UI is SO MUCH BETTER now. it is feeling like a very solid program now and i will definately be getting it when it comes out :)

and why did they change the name to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well the Library is much better. It's not really much better because of layout. It's just better because they provide you with more information in both Grid and Loupe view. I hate the RIGHT panel, and would rather not use it. However, the EXIF data I want to see is there. Sometimes, I just want to see the resolution of the image after cropping. Now, some of the data I want is just there, and if it's not there, I just go into Loupe view and there's more info from the Info Overlay than I need. :)

Oh, the one thing I was really upset about was the change to the Tone Settings in DEVELOP mode. They took away the brightness and contrast controls from the Tone Curve area, which I thought was useful, and they renamed things after I got used to the labels in Beta 3. Also, I didn't really understand the FILL LIGHT slider.

After one hour of playing with the DEVELOP mode, I think it is better. Oh, and now you can just drag the curve around from the graph itself!! :) What's even more amazing is that now, you can put the mouse pointer over a part of the image (say the shirt that a person is wearing) and hit the UP-DOWN arrow keys on your keyboard, and it'll change the tone curve and adjust things accordingly. Absolutely fantastic editing feature!! :eek:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Some of my RAW files look so different now. I'm talking about colder than before, colour hues are much much different. They even look noisier, and adjusting the noise reduction/smoothing doesn't seem to make a visible difference anymore unless you use the loupe. :mad:

EDIT: I've posted 2 photos below for comparison. One was exported from BETA 3, and the darker blue one was exported from BETA 4.

EDIT 2: Do I have to change the hue and saturations around to get my photos to look the same as before? :mad:

Attachments

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Photokina: Adobe Releases Lightroom Beta 4

Adobe announced today the release of the Beta 4 version of Lightroom, available for public download.

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom beta 4.0 offers improved digital photography workflow tools, including a precision white balance selection option and a more streamlined and elegant user interface experience with customizable controls. An intuitive new tone curve adjustment feature provides powerful image correction capabilities, allowing users to visually obtain excellent midtone, shadow and highlight adjustments.
The first beta of Lightroom was released by Adobe in January 2006 and is poised as a direct competitor to Apple's Aperture.

Meanwhile, Apple is rumored to release an update to Aperture at their September 25th Media Event today at 10:30 EST. The possibility of Mac portable updates has also been raised, though the evidence has not been overwhelming. The latest report simply places the updates before the holiday season.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
it's definitely improving, but i still think the look of Aperture is much, much better. i continue to be unsure about moving my library to Lightroom..

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
After being thoroughly trounced in the video market, it appears that Adobe will be damned before it lets Apple rain on its photo parade.

junker

macrumors 6502
Well cool... I enjoyed Lightroom alot when it first came out...though I haven't used it since I got apeture :)

I will certainly check it out...I hope they dealt with the slowness I expeirenced when I scrolled .....grrr... but now that I think about it Apeture kinda does the same thing..

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
iGary said:
I'm actually considering dumping Aperture and trying this out Aperture is slow for me - always has been. :(
Don't you have a G5 Quad? You shouldn't be having any speed problems with that :rolleyes:.

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
NYC
iGary said:
I'm actually considering dumping Aperture and trying this out Aperture is slow for me - always has been. :(
Yeah, slow like mud. Today's update has got to fix that, right?

...Right?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Eraserhead said:
Don't you have a G5 Quad? You shouldn't be having any speed problems with that :rolleyes:.
I hate to even say this, but I think my machine has issues. I have a panorama program that renders QTVR's and a friend of mine's dual G5 2.0 is faster. God I do not want to start another drama. iTunes beachballs on startup. Photoshop take a little long to load images, I think. I just remember my 2.7 being faster. - but hell, it didin't work at all.

mi5moav

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Is this Adobe Lightroom Beta 4.0 or Adobe Lightroom Beta 4 or Adobe Lightroom Beta release 4? So, how long until Google Releases Picasa Pro for free?? On the slower side of news MacBooks released today MacBookPros Soon Aperture update today new video/photo sharing site from Apple will compete with Adobe yet to be released phote site Adobe PhotoTube beta 2.0

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
mi5moav said:
MacBooks released today MacBookPros Soon Aperture update today new video/photo sharing site from Apple
What does this have to do with Lightroom?

I see one more person invade another thread and start talking crap about these stupid laptop upgrades... :mad:

Go away.

ajaygrover

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2006
apple might update the complete line of notebooks to core 2 duo

I think Apple would update the whole line of notebooks to core 2 duo just to confront the competition. Fujitsu Siemens if offereing Core 2 Duo notebook for just 900 Euros with 1 GB of RAM 1.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 80 GB of hard disk space.

Maybe Apple will even reduce the prices from 1099 Euros for an MB to 999 Euros:D

...Just waiting to get one

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Aperture is just slow ass. May not be your computer at all. ;)

Lightroom lacks the stacking, but has fantastic editing features that are 1000x better than in Aperture. I know that you'll say, "Well I have Photoshop for that!", but that's not nearly as convenient. I can probably do 99% of what I want in Lightroom Beta 3 and Beta 4. If Adobe started offering the ability to stack and organize, I don't know why anyone would choose Aperture.

Also, Adobe's RAW conversion is better, and the software works on mid-range machines better than Aperture can. :)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
ajaygrover said:
I think Apple would update the whole line of notebooks to core 2 duo just to confront the competition. Fujitsu Siemens if offereing Core 2 Duo notebook for just 900 Euros with 1 GB of RAM 1.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 80 GB of hard disk space.

Maybe Apple will even reduce the prices from 1099 Euros for an MB to 999 Euros:D

...Just waiting to get one
Why don't you talk about this here.

For the love of God. :rolleyes:

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Abstract said:
EDIT: I've posted 2 photos below for comparison. One was exported from BETA 3, and the darker blue one was exported from BETA 4.:
Darker blue one looks better.:)

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
amac4me said:
Waiting for the Aperture and MacBook Pro updates today :D
You know we can't have a Macbook Proupdate on a non-tuesday. Plus, watch what you say about that, iGary nearly killed the last guy to suggest that.